Virgin vs Sky quality

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by AlSant, Oct 9, 2017.

1. AlSant

AlSant
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm new this forum and would like some advice regarding my picture quality of virgin. I have just moved into a new property and as it is grade two listed building and I am unable to get Sky.

After opting for Virgin the new box and all other trimmings to go with it, I'm very much at my wits end with Virgin.

On every HD channel it is not sharp, quite pasty and blurry, almost like it is too smooth and there is no definition in detail.

I used to be a sky customer and I am deeply missing it.

I was just wondering if there is a quality difference between virgin and sky if HD can be measured?

Hope to hear from you all soon,

AS

2. DickTheSpoon

DickTheSpoon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What resolution is your TV? If it's a 4K and you are having the TiVo V6 set at 2160p and allow it to do the upscaling it softens the image far to much. The TVs upscaler will generally do a far better job. In my TiVo video settings I have enabled all the resolution options down to 1080p (including the passthrough ones)

If you want your TV to do all the upscaling job you can enable all the resolutions down to 576i but be aware that all HD channels will be in 720p (which is correct as HD channels are broadcast as 1080i)

The video settings can be found:

Home -> Help and Settings -> Settings -> Video Output Format

3. AlSant

AlSant
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is a Samsung Smart TV Full HD 1080p from around the late 2014 period with my sky I never had an issue or changed the settings on my television I just connected it and perfect quality on the HD channels that is.

Virgin I have tried all other settings that are available on the menu and still absolutely nothing...

That's why I wondered if there was a max quality I can expect

4. dmw3

dmw3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    You need to go into the settings screen and click all the formats from 1080p downwards and remove auto. You want your TV upscaling the picture not the cheapo software in the Tivo box as stated above.

Overall, across all channels Virgin has a better picture. With Sky you get the SKy and BBC services at a decent bitrate but the rest of the so called HD channels are over compressed and noticeably different in quality to Sky's inhouse output.

With Virgin HD channels are consistent, or as consistent as they can be. Fox HD via Virgin is a massive improvement on Sky's overly compressed Fox HD, If you are used to watching the Walking Dead on Sky, it may surprise you to know that it really isn't shot to be as grainy and fizzy as Sky shows (ahem).

Also might be worth checking your connections and cables. A couple of years ago, I thought something was wrong with my old plasma, blockiness, slightly blurry picture. Swapped the HDMIs over and it was that. The HDMI was 7 tears old been plugged and unplugged a few times and simply had a dodgy connection

Just to add, I had my Virgin installed earlier this year and I reseated my connections to the TV and this improved the PQ. Installers will install every box the same, which means a basic cheapo set from Argos, if you have a half decent TV, check the settings, reseat your cables and turn everything back on again 'cos the installer doesn't care if you have a £3000 TV or a £200 one, it's not a professional Av set up just a basic connection service.

Then adjust picture setting on your TV if necessary. I found I had to tinker contrast, brightness a little bit on my OLED when switching from Sky to Virgin. Virgins picture is a little less garish/bright than Skys

5. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,349
    Both of them transcode i.e. decode the content they receive then encode it again to suit their needs so this is possible, particularly as there are transmission trade-offs between systems.
    At one place where I worked on set top box test there was a very high bit rate Strictly Dancing (about 20Mb/s rather than the usual 5) so I set two recordings on the systems I had set up in case one failed. Also, items are recorded at higher bit rate in HD then transcoded for the SD channels.
    To summarise - yes, it happens and depending on the STB/TV setup different content can look a bit different.

6. waldopepper

waldopepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    OMG thank you for this! We currently have NowTV (app) and got free Sky Cinema for a year via our Tivo and when activated the HD movies looked worse than the NowTV equivalent at 720p! It was hard to describe but almost a milky quality to the picture and way less detail.

We actually change it from 1080p to 1080i and it was immediately improved. Virgin should tell customers this when they subscribe otherwise they'll just think the channels are low resolution & cancel.