Virgin v6 on demand amp problem

stegalv

Anyone else having problem with virgin v6 box keep losing on demand when connected to av amp,
Virgin uses Internet for on demand,my router is upstairs connected with cat 6 cable to a switch then to v6 box and other devices,v6 is connected to denon 8500 amp by hdmi then to the TV.
On demand works for 4/5/6 days then comes up with error 603 can't play at this time try later,but only works when I restart the v6 box,and will work again for a few days,had 3 visits from virgin engineers and phone call with someone higher.
Tried all the usual,different inputs on tv,different hdmi cable,using WiFi instead of cable,same outcome,
For last 11 days had it connected direct to TV instead of going through amp and its stayed on up to now,not going through the amp will be no use to me.
Anyone know why going through the amp would cause the problem,it did the same on my last amp yammy 3050.and why it would stay on for up to a week before on demand being unavailable?

apocalypse8790

Standard Member
I run mine through an amp with no issues, if you've not got any important recordings you can reset the box and force a firmware reboot/ restore to factory -

turn the box off via the microswitch at the rear
hold the power button and the +button in and Switch on the box on and only let-go of the buttons when you see the 'welcome' screen.

just in case its a firmware glitch.

(im a virgin media engineer)

dante01

Distinguished Member
Anyone else having problem with virgin v6 box keep losing on demand when connected to av amp,
Virgin uses Internet for on demand,my router is upstairs connected with cat 6 cable to a switch then to v6 box and other devices,v6 is connected to denon 8500 amp by hdmi then to the TV.
On demand works for 4/5/6 days then comes up with error 603 can't play at this time try later,but only works when I restart the v6 box,and will work again for a few days,had 3 visits from virgin engineers and phone call with someone higher.
Tried all the usual,different inputs on tv,different hdmi cable,using WiFi instead of cable,same outcome,
For last 11 days had it connected direct to TV instead of going through amp and its stayed on up to now,not going through the amp will be no use to me.
Anyone know why going through the amp would cause the problem,it did the same on my last amp yammy 3050.and why it would stay on for up to a week before on demand being unavailable?

No idea as to what is causing your issue, but I've had a V6 connected to a Yamaha RXA1050 and now an A1080 without such issues. I'd be inclined to suggest it more something relating to your home network, router and or the switch you are using than the AV receiver or the V6 box?

AndyC_772

I sometimes get the same issue with my V6 box; even though the internet is working fine, it says it can't play on-demand content until I reboot the box. It never occurred to me that it could have anything to do with my AVR - can't think why an HDMI device would affect the ability to fetch content over Ethernet.

IMHO it's a bug the Virgin just won't bother fixing now there's completely new firmware waiting in the wings. From what I've read, it appears their Tivo licence is expiring and they have no choice but to roll out an update, which of course, they refer to as an "upgrade".

dante01

Distinguished Member
I sometimes get the same issue with my V6 box; even though the internet is working fine, it says it can't play on-demand content until I reboot the box. It never occurred to me that it could have anything to do with my AVR - can't think why an HDMI device would affect the ability to fetch content over Ethernet.

IMHO it's a bug the Virgin just won't bother fixing now there's completely new firmware waiting in the wings. From what I've read, it appears their Tivo licence is expiring and they have no choice but to roll out an update, which of course, they refer to as an "upgrade".

No update is required to enable the TiVo software to be replaced by the inhouse Horizon software. This is effectively already in progress and there are already V6 box users running the Horizon software. TiVo is already being phased out and this is basically what is behind Virgin's "new" 360 service.

stegalv

thanks for all the replies,dante i tried different hdmi cables different tv inputs, ran a new cat 6 cable,connected ethernet directly to the v6 bypassing the switch,lost on demand 2 days later,but had to get another engineer out last thursday,completely lost all channels,he seemed to just humour me when i told him the cables he was testing were ariel cables and just kept saying his tester was telling him was the virgin cable,still did'nt work he said he would have to get someone out to rewire,so i asked him to leave some cable and i would run it,he came back later to put connections on.he also reset the box and removed a filter which he said should'nt be on.
anyway got channels back and on demand is still on after 7 days,i will see how it goes,
oh and lost tv picture in another room because he had disconnected the cable i told him was an ariel.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The on demand services are dependant upon the STB's connection to your router. The box itself has no onboard modem. I can only suggest the issues are associated with your LAN and or router. Did the engineer run tests on your network access and the router?

As already interated, HDMI connections to other devices shouldn't have any effect upon the V6's ability to access streaming and or on demand services over the internet. I've no idea as to why outputting the V6 to your AV receiver via HDMI would cause the V6 to lose access to your LAN or the internet?

I have found this though:

Similar issues have been experienced and they too appear to have had something to do with what HDMI connections are being made.

The issue appears to revolve around HDCP compliance or rather, the V5's inability to detect that other devices in the HDMI chain are in gact HDCP 2.2 compliant?

If accessing catch up services or streaming services via the V6 that you can access via other devices or your TV's own smart apps then I'd suggest not using the V6's on demand services wherever possible. You'd not get Dolby Vision via Netflix or Prime anyway if using the V6 to access such streaming services.

Last edited:

stegalv

thanks,the prombem with on demand has been on the virgin forum for over a year,and they don't seem interested in fixing it.mine is still on, longest ever.i use firestick for netflix and prime,but i use on demand and catch up for tv programmes/series iv'e missed.here's hoping it's been sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom