• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Virgin V6 Ethernet Cable

daveh48

Prominent Member
Simple question but does anybody know the length of the ethernet cable supplied with the V6 box?

Last edited:

daveh48

Prominent Member
Follow up on my question. Had Virgin installed by an engineer and the standard length for a ethernet cable supplied with the V6 box is 1 meter. Showed him the online quickstart guide and he had no idea why 3 meters was mentioned.

If you have an engineer install then he will put the box where you want so cable length doesn't matter but if you install the box yourself then it's a 1 meter cable.

I needed an engineer install because I didn't have a previous box just broadband.

dante01

Distinguished Member
When arranging a self install you are asked how far your router will be from the V6 box. If more than 3m then they include a powrline convertor to enable you to convey the ethernet signals via your home's electricity ring main between the router and the V6 box. The ethernet cable supplied must therefor be 3m in length because they'd otherwise be asking if your router is less than 1m away from the V6'd intended location and supplying the convertor to those whose routers where closer than 3m away from the V6 box.

The distance is irrelevant anyway because the V6 includes wifi and you can connect one to a router wirelessly without need of a wired ethernet connection. Virgin don't appear to like publicising this fact?

I self installed last weekend - very easy to follow the clear instructions provided. Luckily I had a 5m ethernet cable which was needed as the 3m one provided wasn't long enough for where the two new boxes are sited.
Solved: V6 Box Upgrade - Self Install - Page 3 - Virgin Media Community

The installer who told you that the ethernet cable supplied with self installs is only 1m in length was wrong. The cable is 3m in length.

Last edited:

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
We just did a self install of a free V6 to replace our old HD Box, but we couldn't order it online, because it was trying to tie us into a 12 month contract and increase the monthly cost, which the offer said wouldn't happen. The online order asks if the V6 is going to be in a different room to the Super Hub, but we weren't asked this over the phone, so were only sent a 3m Ethernet cable and a HDMI cable with the V6.

I decided to move the TiVo upstairs where the HD Box was and put the V6 in the living room, so just connected it to the Ethernet cable I was using with the TiVo.

I guess when you select the V6 is not in the same room as your Hub on the web order, that triggers the Powerline adapter being included. Would have useful to get another one.

dante01

Distinguished Member
We just did a self install of a free V6 to replace our old HD Box, but we couldn't order it online, because it was trying to tie us into a 12 month contract and increase the monthly cost, which the offer said wouldn't happen. The online order asks if the V6 is going to be in a different room to the Super Hub, but we weren't asked this over the phone, so were only sent a 3m Ethernet cable and a HDMI cable with the V6.

I decided to move the TiVo upstairs where the HD Box was and put the V6 in the living room, so just connected it to the Ethernet cable I was using with the TiVo.

I guess when you select the V6 is not in the same room as your Hub on the web order, that triggers the Powerline adapter being included. Would have useful to get another one.

I was indeed asked online as to where my touter was located and answered that it was in another room. I was sent a powerline adaptor. I didn't actually need it though because I've extensive provision for etherent throughout my home and simply used the existing cabling to connect the router to my V6.

daveh48

Prominent Member
The installer who told you that the ethernet cable supplied with self installs is only 1m in length was wrong. The cable is 3m in length.

All I know is the cable with the box he had with him was 1m and he just mentioned that he didn't know about the 3m cable.

I wasn't asked where the router was when I ordered the box, as I explained it wasn't a self install and I imagine the engineer would've had other cables if required.

netsukekoi

Established Member
I just had 2 boxes installed and the installer left 4 cables, all 1M (none of them any use as the boxes and the router are 30m apart)

dante01

Distinguished Member
The cable you get with a self install kit is 3m. What length the engineers carry or leave with you isn't addressed.

Maybe try engaging the wifi features of the STBs if you've not enough ethernet cabling to connect them to your router and you've the V6 boxes? Other than this, you'll have to look into running your own cabling throughout your house. If 30m apart then a 3m cable wouldn't have been any use to you either. Virgin Media do not do ethernet cabling and this is something you'd need to sort out for yourself if the boxes are to be located out of reach of your router. THey did used to hand out powerline adaptors though so maybe also try contacting VM, explaining to them your predicament and see if they offer to send you some powerline adaptors?

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
This has reminded me, I need to contact VM about our V6 upgrade and the Powerline adpator they send out when you specify the box is not in the same room as the Super Hub. The self service web form asked this question, but they didn't ask my partner this over the phone.

netsukekoi

Established Member
The fact that my router is 30M away from either of my V6 boxes is not an issue, I have whole house meshed wifi and also all rooms are hard wired for ethernet - it just amused me that the engineer left me 4 one metre cables when he could see I had more cables and kit than he had in his van.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom