Virgin v6 box resolution output settings

Mwf28

Standard Member
Hi,
Hope everyone is safe and well.
I ve had my sony 49xg9005 for just over 8 months now and it's a great TV.
For that period of time I was feeding a virgin media tivo box into it with great pictures hd and sd.
I upgraded my virgin media package which meant I got a new v6 box.
I set it all up yesterday but the pictures seem a bit soft and not as detailed.
I read here about the v6 box video outputs setting.
Can someone give me some advice on the best settings on the v6.
Should I let the v6 do the upsampling or the tv.
I have to say that streaming 5 usa via ethernet cable the picture is again quite different to the picture via the old tivo box.
Thanks in advance.

SaajanB

You should let the TV do the upscaling.

I’ve turned on 1080p pass through for apps, 1080p for VOD and 1080i for broadcast TV. Enable 2160p for the 4K content too. You could let the TV scale the SD576i channels but I find the GUI gets really fuzzy then.

I believe by default the V6 sets it’s output to 2160p for a 4K TV and 1080p for a HDTV.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Hi,
Hope everyone is safe and well.
I ve had my sony 49xg9005 for just over 8 months now and it's a great TV.
For that period of time I was feeding a virgin media tivo box into it with great pictures hd and sd.
I upgraded my virgin media package which meant I got a new v6 box.
I set it all up yesterday but the pictures seem a bit soft and not as detailed.
I read here about the v6 box video outputs setting.
Can someone give me some advice on the best settings on the v6.
Should I let the v6 do the upsampling or the tv.
I have to say that streaming 5 usa via ethernet cable the picture is again quite different to the picture via the old tivo box.
Thanks in advance.

If you want the TV to handle all sub-4k upscaling from the various content you can get from the V6 box, in the Video Output settings you should have ticked the following:
576i
1080i
1080p passthrough
2160p passthrough
2160p (only select this if you get the actual 4K channels as part of your sub e.g. BT Sport Ultimate, otherwise leave it unticked).

When watching a Standard Definition channel, yes even the box UI will be at 576i, but the actual TV image will be better due to the superior upscaling on the TV :)

Mwf28

Standard Member
Thanks mallett94 & saajanB
I followed your advice and did a little experimenting and as you recommended ticked the boxes that were mentioned.
I now have a superb picture on all my sources.
It is actually better than I had with the old tivo box.
Very happy 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom