Virgin V6 box has burnt my LG B7!

John7

A few days ago, I noticed a purpleish stripe towards the bottom area of my LG 65inch B7. I decided to run some colour slides on the weekend. These are the results. The TV was purchased Nov 2017 from RS and has 6 year warranty.

It looks like the Virgin V6 play/pause bar has burnt the red pixels. Looking closer there are other areas of discolouration in the centre of the screen, which is worrying.

We use the TV as "normal", i.e just watching TV - no gaming and we don't watch a lot of news channels, occasionaly sky news and BBC news but not frequently or for prolonged periods. I can't see any way of repositioning the V6 play bar or altering the length of time it is displayed for, which I recall you could do on previous Virgin boxes.

I'm a bit annoyed about this as I would expect a TV of this cost to last at least 10 years but now I can see the imprint of the Virgin play bar when watching TV and some discolouration in the centre of the screen it bugs me. To me, the TV is not fit for purpose. Can anyone advise what remedy (if any) I have as I'm not happy.

I've run the panel refresher twice and it has made no difference. The TV had the new Power board fitted last year.

Attachments

• JRC01174.jpg
    JRC01174.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 115
  • JRC01180.jpg
    JRC01180.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 114
  • JRC01181.jpg
    JRC01181.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 100
  • JRC01183.jpg
    JRC01183.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 97
  • JRC01185.jpg
    JRC01185.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 94
  • JRC01186.jpg
    JRC01186.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 94
  • JRC01189.jpg
    JRC01189.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 111

fluxedman

check my 2 post here:

You can read what others said and other follow up post last 2 pages here:

In a nutshell you said the key word "not fit for its intended purpose", retailers and manufacturers unofficially know a TV costing 1K+ should last 5 years easily regardless of fault, its the Consumer Law at the end of the day and they should follow it. So you have some options there, see if LG or Richer sounds will help, just take it 1 step at a time either maybe willing to help.

stasis

You should contact Richer Sounds about your problem.
They will ask you to send images on Whats App to confirm the damage.
Once confirmed that there is a problem with the screen you will be given a LG customer service contact to again send images to.

I have just had a LG OLED65B7 screen replaced.
It took LG a while to replace the screen but it was worth the time and effort involved.

Good luck.

John7

Just an update. Spoke to RS and they refered me to LG.

LG looked at the screen via a live phone image and said it's a panel defect and will be £300.00 to fix.

I queried the £300.00 as RS told me it was £250 and I have seen posts on here stating the same. LG wouldn't budge so I paid the £300. Following day, I got a message (and a follow-up phone call) from LG telling me I was getting a £50.00 refund due to a pricing error!

Anyway, 3 days later and TV is now on the way back to LG for repair. Both RS and LG have been very good with this, RS are refunding me 50% of the LG charge as well, so excellent customer service.

No loaner TV unfortunately, so I'm thankful that I kept my old 1080P projector (which I haven't used since getting the OLED)!

John7

You should contact Richer Sounds about your problem.
They will ask you to send images on Whats App to confirm the damage.
Once confirmed that there is a problem with the screen you will be given a LG customer service contact to again send images to.

I have just had a LG OLED65B7 screen replaced.
It took LG a while to replace the screen but it was worth the time and effort involved.

Good luck.
Thanks. Approximately how long was your TV with LG for the repair?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Perfect. Wish this was documented and set in stone as a replacement policy but it seems like OLED burn-in at least is claim-able now.

John7

So, 10 days after the LG courier picked up my TV, it has been returned.

I am absolutely stunned by the picture quality I have now, compared to my memories of the original. It’s as if I’ve gone and bought a new TV with current display tech.

On powering up after hanging it back on the wall, it was dull and lifeless. That was as it was set to eco mode by default. Turning eco mode off and setting it to standard mode and Wow! The picture really pops now. Colours are bright and vibrant, black levels are really good.

I am beginning to think the original tv was a duff unit as this repair is like a chalk and cheese difference. With the old set, I had to dive into all the colour calibration settings to try and get a watchable picture, particularly for HDR content. This is pretty much spot on using standard settings, with some minor tweaks to basics.

Even my other half, who is not interested in tech has commented how much better the picture quality is, as has my son who is a very critically eyed video editor/producer.

Running some grey test screens doesn’t show any noticeable banding.

So, after 4 odd years, I now seem to have the OLED experience that I originally bought into. Still got more testing to do but so far, I am very glad that I made that call to RS/LG and initiated the repair.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom