Virgin V+, HDQ and SD/HD display setup/connection

lovegroova

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of getting a Virgin V+ box and have a connection conundrum with regards to my HDQ

I have two displays, a Panny PWD6 SD only display, and an Optomoa HD72i 720p projector.

I also have an aspect ratio switcher box which is currently connected in between the Virgin box and the HDQ using the primary SCART.

I guess that sorting the HD72 is pretty straightforward.
Connect the V+ to the HDQ using HDMI/DVI (aspect ratio switching is presumably taken care of although not a big deal as the PJ will only be used for watching the limited HD content.
I've had a look at the connections thread on the Virgin Media forum and it seems that one simply changes the menu settings to enable/disable HDMI. With HDMI enabled, the other outputs are disabled.

Now for the plasma which is connected to the HDQ using the component output.
I assume that the HDQ will not pass through the HDMI signal from the V+ box to the component outputs because of HDCP - is this correct?

If that is the case, then should I use the Component or the SCART output from the V+ box and let the HDQ do all the processing for SD material? I read that the upscaling in the V+ box is pretty good in which case would connecting via component be better (would it also reduce the combing one gets quite a lot of?)

Thanks in advance

I assume that the HDQ will not pass through the HDMI signal from the V+ box to the component outputs because of HDCP - is this correct?

If that is the case, then should I use the Component or the SCART output from the V+ box and let the HDQ do all the processing for SD material? I read that the upscaling in the V+ box is pretty good in which case would connecting via component be better (would it also reduce the combing one gets quite a lot of?)

Thanks in advance
Yes hdmi to HDQ will disable analogue output.

I have not tried the two methods of analogue connection you suggest so can't say which will be superior

Thanks Gordon,

Supplementary question, apparently, one has the option to switch the HDMI output to SD (i.e. scaling switched off). Would HDCP still be applied to that SD signal?

If this is the case, will the non-HCDP signal be output from the HDQ's component outputs?

I'll give it the old "wait and see" I guess and stick to SCART -> HDQ as I have at present.

Hopefully switching the HDMI setting will work so there'll be no need for switching around inputs on the HDQ when I want to use the projector for HD stuff.

If not, thank goodness for Pronto! :)

I have a similar issue with a V+ feeding my Crystalio. IN this case, I was advised that the only way to get the VP to do the scaling is to use the scart out. The picture for SD is very significantly better this way, rather than taking a scaled output from the V+ on HDMI or Component. My problem is that, whilst I also have a HDMI connection for HD content, I cannot get this to work by using the menu system.I suspect the time allowed does not allow a proer handshake. Of course I can override, but don't want to end up with a black screen without connection, and then have to reset the V+ box to Scart manually.
Currently I just watch everything through scart, which is not a big deal, as there is little HD. When (if) this comes on stream I will have to find a proper solution

I'm in the fortunate position of having a both a SCART and a spare component input on my plasma, so hopefully it'll be a bit easier to test things out.

Installation is in a fortnight so I guess there will be much swearing then :)

There's a thought. I could take the component out of the Virgin V+ and into the Crystalio. I think I need BNC's on the back, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. This might just be the answer for me!

Component is still 720 or 1080 only......

Well, it's all installed now.

Sadly, the Lumagen will not pass through the HDMI SD feed to component outputs (although it does flash it up for a second when changing memories).

So it's SCART to Lumagen for SD, and then a change around to HDMI for HD content on the projector. I reused the output 2 that Gordon created for 1080i for my Bluray and just got the dreaded HDCP fuzz, but with output 0 selected for 1080i input it works fine, as it does on 720p.

Thanks for the help all.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom