Virgin V+ Component Out to SD Plasma

davilu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just had V+ installed today. The fitters connected my Toshiba SD Plasma to the V+ box by using a scart lead to my js technology scart to component converter (used with my old Sky set up). The component lead then goes from the converter box to the component input on my plasma screen.

This evening I decided to remove the converter box and scart lead and simply connect the V+ box to the screen via component. The screen went blank. Is it possible to use the V+ component out to an SD plasma or is this only for HD connections?

If this is the case can anyone advise on how to get the best quality picture with an SD Plasma/V+ set up?

You have to select to change the video signal to component in the V+ picture settings or it will just be using the scart.

Get a HD TV!! Use HDMI for best quality... Doesn't V+ have component out anyway?

I want to get an HD tv but can't decide which one to go for or if it should be LCD or Plasma. Any recommendations welcome.

Yes V+ has a component out but when I connect the V+ box to the component in on my plasma I get a blank screen.

The settings on the V+ are either composite or RGB (no component option) Tried both without success. Maybe I need to adjust the settings on my screen?

What res are you outputting at? Should be set to 720. If your TV is only SD and not 'HD ready' then setting the output to 1080 will not produce an image as the TV could not support it...

You need to change the box above the one you are trying. It will go blank after you change the output setting until you change the setting on your TV to see the picture & follow the on screen message.

What res are you outputting at? Should be set to 720. If your TV is only SD and not 'HD ready' then setting the output to 1080 will not produce an image as the TV could not support it...

If the OP's plsma is SD only then it wont see a 720p outut either. It needs to be 576i - I have seen somewhere that the V+ can be set to output this on component.

The plasma will show a 720p or 1080i signal both which the V+ can output. The plasma will down scale the image to fit the SD panel. But you must have the scart & componet cables connected at the same time so when you change from the scart output to the component you can switch the input on your TV. You must then press the 'text' button on the remote with-in a certain time to change the settings.
I know it might sound a bit complicated but its straight forward.

The plasma will show a 720p or 1080i signal both which the V+ can output. The plasma will down scale the image to fit the SD panel. .

Not sure this is necessarily correct. A short while ago there was a poster on here with an SD only Sharp LCD. This would not accept 1080i or 720p as it did not have the appropriate scaling electronics. I suspect that this may also be the case with the OP's PDP. Many early PDP's would only accept 576i or 480i albeit via a component input. Component is not necessarily an indicaton of the ability to support higher resolution inputs.

Last edited:
Not sure this is necessarily correct. A short while ago there was a poster on here with an SD only Sharp LCD. This would not accept 1080i or 720p as it did not have the appropriate scaling electronics. I suspect that this may also be the case with the OP's PDP. Many early PDP's would only accept 576i or 480i albeit via a component input. Component is not necessarily an indicaton of the ability to support higher resolution inputs.

It's probably correct.

My Panasonic PWD6 is a 480 res panel and will certainly accept a 720p signal from a V+ box over component.

The advice above is correct.
Connect the V+ to the plasma with both SCART and Component
Set the plasma to the SCART input where you'l be able to view the setup screen
Change the V+ output to Component 720 - screen will go blank
Change the plasma input to Component, you should be able to see the V+ picture.
If all is ok, press "text" on the remote as instructed.

It's probably correct.

My Panasonic PWD6 is a 480 res panel and will certainly accept a 720p signal from a V+ box over component.

The advice above is correct.
Connect the V+ to the plasma with both SCART and Component
Set the plasma to the SCART input where you'l be able to view the setup screen
Change the V+ output to Component 720 - screen will go blank
Change the plasma input to Component, you should be able to see the V+ picture.
If all is ok, press "text" on the remote as instructed.

You could well be right but dependent on the age/price/ original intended use of the PDP could also be wrong. I hope for davilus (OP's ) sake you are right. I look forward to his feedbaack

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom