Question Virgin Tivo V6 HDMI Extender setup

sargyitk

Novice Member
Afternoon All,

Moving into a new house and looking to get a new set up. will have a virgin v6 tivo box in the front room and want to share the picture in the bedroom and allow use of control

seen extenders via cat cable but wondered can you use powerline with these also? trying to cause least amount of damage and cable running.

what would the best set up be? or should i just fork out for another Tivo box?

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
You cannot convey UHD video over cat6 and HDBaseT. In instances where longer than 6 to 8m HDMI cable runs are required where the signal is UHD in nature then you'd unfortunately have to start looking at HDMI over fibre. HDBaseT extenders will not facilitate anything more than 1080p and will not meet the HDCP 2.2 requirements the V6 requires.

You'd not be able to convey the HDMI signal via powerline convertors because the powerline convertors convey ethernet and not HDMI.

I'd suggest an additional box as being the better and more flexible option and this will also prove cheaper than running HDMI over fibre in the short term.

dante01

Distinguished Member
thanks for the response dante01, so its either get a hdmi extender and run cat 6 cable? like below or get another box?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-room-Extender-Virgin-Everything-Another/dp/B00JBIUBT2

The extender would be useless if ever setting the V6 to 2160p and if wanting to convey 4K UHD video. You'd ideally want to use HDMI over fibre for this, but HDMI over fibre is expensive. I'd suggest another box as being the more flexible option. It can be used independently of the living room box or you can access content saved to either box via the other if both boxes are connected to your router.

Sandyb01

You cannot convey UHD video over cat6 and HDBaseT. In instances where longer than 6 to 8m HDMI cable runs are required where the signal is UHD in nature then you'd unfortunately have to start looking at HDMI over fibre. HDBaseT extenders will not facilitate anything more than 1080p and will not meet the HDCP 2.2 requirements the V6 requires.

You'd not be able to convey the HDMI signal via powerline convertors because the powerline convertors convey ethernet and not HDMI.

I'd suggest an additional box as being the better and more flexible option and this will also prove cheaper than running HDMI over fibre in the short term.

I've got a HDMI Matrix, and a 4K capable one at that (a Pulse Eight Neo Pro 4*4). Whilst I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure the second screen (my bedroom) receives 4K - using wiring from the matrix to the bedroom that is Cat 6, and that the HDMI Matrix uses HDBase T transmitters......

Am I missing something? Your opening statement made me wonder if I had misunderstood my setup, but then again I'm not an expert, and an installer did it all for me (don't judge me!)

sargyitk

Novice Member
I've got a HDMI Matrix, and a 4K capable one at that (a Pulse Eight Neo Pro 4*4). Whilst I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure the second screen (my bedroom) receives 4K - using wiring from the matrix to the bedroom that is Cat 6, and that the HDMI Matrix uses HDBase T transmitters......

Am I missing something? Your opening statement made me wonder if I had misunderstood my setup, but then again I'm not an expert, and an installer did it all for me (don't judge me!)
who did your install?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've a feeling that you V6 is configured to output 1080p if conveying the video via HDBaseT? HDBaseT hasn't the ability to convey 4K UHD and it is why it is now suggested to use HDMI over fibre if wanting to convey UHD signals over longer cable runs. There are however some inordinately expensive extenders that do claim to use HDBaseT to convey UHD video. I'd personally still suggest fibre as the long term solution as opposed to putting too much trust into HDBaseT if wanting to convey anything more than 1080p.

Sandyb01

I've a feeling that you V6 is configured to output 1080p if conveying the video via HDBaseT? HDBaseT hasn't the ability to convey 4K UHD and it is why it is now suggested to use HDMI over fibre if wanting to convey UHD signals over longer cable runs. There are however some inordinately expensive extenders that do claim to use HDBaseT to convey UHD video. I'd personally still suggest fibre as the long term solution as opposed to putting too much trust into HDBaseT if wanting to convey anything more than 1080p.

I don't have a virgin box, I actually have a SKY HD box.

The only 4K source I have is a Fire TV 4K box - its connected to the matrix, and conveys 4K to the 4K bedroom TV. The Fire TV 4K box will not show 4K content options, either through Prime or Netflix content without identifying the TV as 4K capable.

And, for example, when I watched some UHD Prime content on the (4K) bedroom TV last night, just before the actual programme started, the "optimising for UHD playback" message showed on screen.

Side note - the matrix has 2 TV's connected to it, a lounge 1080P Plasma, and a bedroom 4K LED/LCD. The matrix will default to the lower resolution EDID profile wise, normally. But I have told the matrix to use a 4K EDID profile for the Fire TV box.

I'm confident it works - not only do I get the content display behaviour described above, but the Fire 4K box content does not show on the 1080P Plasma i.e. the handshake shows them to be incompatible. And as I say, the 4K content displays happily over the CAT6 in the bedroom 4K TV.

The cat6 signal is converted using a balun to HDMI at the target TV end.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Regardless, the extender linked to by sargyitk isn't 4K capable. If you were to opt for HDBaseT over HDMI rather than fibre then you'd need hardware rated able to convey 4K UHD video that is also HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Also note that Cat cables optimised for Ethernet traffic often struggle with the higher bandwidth requirements of a 4K/UHD HDBaseT signal. The characteristics of category cables are, at times, overkill for HDBaseT applications; other times, category cable characteristics are not sufficient to guarantee a good 4K/UHD signal.

As I said, fibre is a more reliable option. Most installers would be installing fibre as opposed to HDBaseT and Cat5e/6 if the intended video signal is to be 4K UHD in nature.

Sandyb01

Regardless, the extender linked to by sargyitk isn't 4K capable. If you were to opt for HDBaseT over HDMI rather than fibre then you'd need hardware rated able to convey 4K UHD video that is also HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Also note that Cat cables optimised for Ethernet traffic often struggle with the higher bandwidth requirements of a 4K/UHD HDBaseT signal. The characteristics of category cables are, at times, overkill for HDBaseT applications; other times, category cable characteristics are not sufficient to guarantee a good 4K/UHD signal.

As I said, fibre is a more reliable option. Most installers would be installing fibre as opposed to HDBaseT and Cat5e/6 if the intended video signal is to be 4K UHD in nature.

Indeed, was seeking clarification whilst explaining my set up. But it's do-able, not impossible, a my setup shows. My hardware seems to be able to do it fine, outside of heatwaves like last summer when the 4K matrix over heats!

Anyway, a matrix is an expensive solution, albeit very very neat. One (the TV) remote in the bedroom, all sources available and controllable. Whether I'd do it again, not sure - its pricey.

Repster

I just purchased an "AV ACCESS 1x4 HDMI 2.0 Splitter 4K" as I suddenly lost the ability to convey via CAT6 to upstairs (NEET extenders). I thought it was the old splitter that was at fault (pre 1.4). The problem I am having is that if I have one HDMI plugged in it works to which ever room but as soon as I plug in another HDMI out it stops working. Any ideas?

Repster

TV: Samsung 65NU8000
Virgin V6 >> AVaccess Input (HDMI in)
AVaccess output1 >> Denon 2500 amp Sat/CBL >> Denon HDMI out1 ARC >> Samsung 8000
AVaccess output2 >> NEET extender >> -20m CAT6 >> NEET extender >> Samsung 43NU6400

Repster

In relation to the above and to help out future members.

I applied an update to the device from AV Access support. Very simple to do and updated within a few minutes. Device is now working how I expected.

Of note and I am not sure if it is my old NEET extenders. When I turned it all on the Virgin V6 box tried to adjust its own picture settings to 2k. This caused TV at end of HDMI extenders to show no picture again. I adjusted the video settings in the V6 to 1080i and the picture on TV2 sprung in to life.

Customerserviceman

Novice Member
In relation to the above and to help out future members.

I applied an update to the device from AV Access support. Very simple to do and updated within a few minutes. Device is now working how I expected.

Of note and I am not sure if it is my old NEET extenders. When I turned it all on the Virgin V6 box tried to adjust its own picture settings to 2k. This caused TV at end of HDMI extenders to show no picture again. I adjusted the video settings in the V6 to 1080i and the picture on TV2 sprung in to life.

You could try this connection, bypass NEET extender, whether samsung can get a 2k picture?

Virgin V6 >> AVaccess Input (HDMI in)
AVaccess output1 >> Denon 2500 amp Sat/CBL >> Denon HDMI out1 ARC >> Samsung 8000
AVaccess output2 >> Samsung 43NU6400

Repster

"AVaccess output2 >> Samsung 43NU6400"

I can't do this as the TV2 is upstairs hence the need for the NEET extender

Repster

Yes I am fine with the TV upstairs being 1080p. For some reason the splitter has stopped working again :(

Customerserviceman

Novice Member
Yes I am fine with the TV upstairs being 1080p. For some reason the splitter has stopped working again :(

What's going on with LED lights?

Attachments

• Splitter.png
    Splitter.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 108

Repster

hmm HDMIin light is off

Have tried unplugging HDMI cable from V6 and HDMIin and re-plugging but light still out

dante01

Distinguished Member
Try not to hot plug HDMI connections. Despite what is said by HDMI org, doing so can cause damage to the devices involved. Power down the device or devices and then reattach or secure the connections. Simply rebooting the box may even be all that is required in order to establish a new HDMI handshake?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett