Virgin Tivo Preinstall

Jungl3J1m

Standard Member
Hi people,

I have never used Virgin TV but i have seen it installed at friends/family homes. I currently have Sky+HD.

I am looking to move into my first house sometime soon and Virgin's Tivo service has caught my eye. After seeing both Sky and Virgin's pretty shabby install practices, i would like to preinstall whatever connections and cables i need while renovating before i move in and leave as little as possible to Virgin to do. I want to have all cables hidden and none of that under carpet crap!

I will be running network cables to most rooms and Virgin TV to the living room. I plan to run all the cables within walls and floors and provide wall connection points.

Please can someone confirm or correct me below?

The fibre based virgin service comes from the cabinet and is terminated on the front of the house in a wall box. Individual coaxial cables are then run from there to each set top box and the cable modem. An ethernet cable between the modem and wireless router provides net connectivity.

Therefore i should be able to preinstall standard coaxial wall points for each set top box, without cables, so that Virgin can terminate in the back of those. I can also preinstall a standard coaxial point for the modem at a place of my choosing. I would plan to locate this next to where my distributed ethernet is run back to. I can then connect the modem to that using a single ethernet cable.

I am a bit of a perfectionist and can't stand the look of thick white coax cables tacked to skirting board and snaked around a room or run under the carpet so that you have to climb over it...!!

I know Virgin would rather install it themselves but that doesn't stand with me. I'm sure if i leave it fairly easy for them i can negotiate something with the engineer.

Your thoughts/ideas/insight are all welcome.

Cheers.

James.

grom

Standard Member
dont know about other peoples installs but mine is and i believe this is the standard practice.

as you said fibre optic to box at front of house. single co axial cable to a connection splitter. then one cable for Broad band, and then one for each of your set top boxes. this splitter will determine where you install runs to.

hope this helps.

and the engineers will be quite happy if you have already layed the cables for them.

WGLOVER

Hi people,

I have never used Virgin TV but i have seen it installed at friends/family homes. I currently have Sky+HD.

I am looking to move into my first house sometime soon and Virgin's Tivo service has caught my eye. After seeing both Sky and Virgin's pretty shabby install practices, i would like to preinstall whatever connections and cables i need while renovating before i move in and leave as little as possible to Virgin to do. I want to have all cables hidden and none of that under carpet crap!

I will be running network cables to most rooms and Virgin TV to the living room. I plan to run all the cables within walls and floors and provide wall connection points.

The fibre based virgin service comes from the cabinet and is terminated on the front of the house in a wall box. Individual coaxial cables are then run from there to each set top box and the cable modem. An ethernet cable between the modem and wireless router provides net connectivity.

Therefore i should be able to preinstall standard coaxial wall points for each set top box, without cables, so that Virgin can terminate in the back of those. I can also preinstall a standard coaxial point for the modem at a place of my choosing. I would plan to locate this next to where my distributed ethernet is run back to. I can then connect the modem to that using a single ethernet cable.

I am a bit of a perfectionist and can't stand the look of thick white coax cables tacked to skirting board and snaked around a room or run under the carpet so that you have to climb over it...!!

I know Virgin would rather install it themselves but that doesn't stand with me. I'm sure if i leave it fairly easy for them i can negotiate something with the engineer.

Your thoughts/ideas/insight are all welcome.

Cheers.

James.

I'm sure the 'fitters' (not engineers) will be quite happy if you make their lives easier.
But negotiate? You will still have to pay the full installation fee.
When I had broadband installed, I had to clamber over the roof with the cable, because he wasn't allowed to. (I was 60, he was 10) Well young, anyway.

acrantophis

I was in a similar position a while ago, the vm engineer was extremely helpful and flexible, left me extra telephone cable to connect myself once i`d fitted a new master socket and also some measured out and terminated co-ax runs for where i eventually wanted the points to be, he then gave me his mobile should there be any problems. Exellent service.

tankstage

Hi people,

herefore i should be able to preinstall standard coaxial wall points for each set top box, without cables, so that Virgin can terminate in the back of those. I can also preinstall a standard coaxial point for the modem at a place of my choosing. I would plan to locate this next to where my distributed ethernet is run back to. I can then connect the modem to that using a single ethernet cable.

The cable is not standard Coax, and the faceplates are "F" type plug as shown here Flush Mounting F Type Outlet : Aerial Wall Plates : Maplin

Jungl3J1m

Standard Member
Thanks for all the replies. Its nice to hear the 'fitters' are flexible. When i say negotiate, i mean persuade them to install it my way! I'm happy to pay full installation charge if the end result is a professional and tidy job, even if i do most of the work!

You say the cable is not standard? What is standard coax? Obviously there are various grades i.e. RG6, WF100 etc. Can anyone give me the exact specifications of the cable i.e. copper or aluminium foil, no of cores, waterproofing etc or the exact reference? I've heard elsewhere people referring to it as non standard coax, but its not custom made just for VM, it must have a common specification...

Maybe i've been thinking into this too much. Perhaps its quite simple. I expected cable to be more complicated.

Cheers.

essjay

From The cabinet to the house it is either RG6 or RG11. From the omni box (box on front of house) It will be either RG6 or RG59.

Jungl3J1m

Standard Member
From The cabinet to the house it is either RG6 or RG11. From the omni box (box on front of house) It will be either RG6 or RG59.

Cool. Thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member

RG59 and RG6 are bog standard grades of coax, commonly associated with analogue TV connections. RG59 is particularly low quality. If doing your own internal wiring then use better quality low loss coax such as WF100 or CT100 ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom