Virgin switching off my email address

Lee

Reaction score
Of all the dirty god damn rotten things to do, Virgin are switching off my email address.

I've had it for about 9 years, an old blueyonder one. I left Virgin a while ago as their price was too high and now after over a year they do this.

What a hassle having to notify everyone of the change and no doubt i'll forget a few.

Still, my hassle will be short lived compared to the lifetime of never ever using their services again. And don't worry I'll let everyone I know as well so hopefully they'll not join them either.

Way to go Virgin, I salute you :thumbsdow

They switched mine off a few months ago but I still get my emails on my phone but just cant reply. So if its somebody I have forgot I just email them with my new one.

Surely most companies do this after a while. Happened to me with my old BT/Yahoo email address and unfortunately I had set it to forward my emails to my new email.

I now have no way of stopping emails being forwarded (which are all spam now) as the email can't be completely deactivated by BT or Yahoo (they say it is showing as completely off of their systems) and even if I sign up for the paid premium email service it can't be re-activated either.

Id recommend gmail to be honest. I dont think I will ever go back to a "providor based" addy. I decided a few yrs ago that I wanted the independence etc

so, let me get this right...you don't use them any more, and haven't done so for a year, but still expect them to host your mailbox free of charge?

Of all the dirty god damn rotten things to do, Virgin are switching off my email address.

I've had it for about 9 years, an old blueyonder one. I left Virgin a while ago as their price was too high and now after over a year they do this.

What a hassle having to notify everyone of the change and no doubt i'll forget a few.

Still, my hassle will be short lived compared to the lifetime of never ever using their services again. And don't worry I'll let everyone I know as well so hopefully they'll not join them either.

Way to go Virgin, I salute you :thumbsdow

BT did this to me when I dropped my Broadband (to join Virgin), but I still have my phone services. Like you, an address I have had for 10+ years - but they offer a £1.50/month option to keep it. I have paid rather than start again, but not happy as I am still a customer. Well not for long anyway.

Id recommend gmail to be honest. I dont think I will ever go back to a "providor based" addy.

The problem with gmail, hotmail etc. is as they're world wide most of the time you end up with an email like firstname.lastname4895789345789345893475893475897547348573475878957774573248709328@doamin.com.

Nobody wants that. Granted, it can happen with a provider based email, but it's much less likely.

I think they need to implement something additional in email systems. Think of a postal address. There could be 5 10 Smith Roads over England, but they're individual by post code. You don't have 10 Smith Road 1, 10 Smith Road 2, etc.

So there could be 100 [email protected] addresses, and in an email platform you include something unique to who you want to send to.

O2 are doing this to me too. I have had an o2 email address for abut 10 years and am still an o2 customer but they are closing all email addresses on 1st November.

O2 are doing this to me too. I have had an o2 email address for abut 10 years and am still an o2 customer but they are closing all email addresses on 1st November.

Really? I have an O2 email address as I'm still a mobile phone customer of theirs but haven;t received anything from them saying they are closing my email address? :confused:

Not that I use it any more. I ended up moving away from providers and just went with GMail as it means I should be able to have it as long as I'm alive. Little bit of hassle but definitely worth it.

Really? I have an O2 email address as I'm still a mobile phone customer of theirs but haven;t received anything from them saying they are closing my email address? :confused:

Not that I use it any more. I ended up moving away from providers and just went with GMail as it means I should be able to have it as long as I'm alive. Little bit of hassle but definitely worth it.

Yeah the warning came in an email to my o2 account on Sep 6th

Bit of a bizarre rant, to be honest. :confused:

Wouldn't recommend anyone to use a provider address these days for their primary account. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc are all free and you're decoupled nicely.

They switched mine off a few months ago but I still get my emails on my phone but just cant reply. So if its somebody I have forgot I just email them with my new one.
Hopefully that'll be the case as I've some that I could do with changing when they email me. A priority concert tickets one springs to mind.

Bit of a bizarre rant, to be honest. :confused:

Wouldn't recommend anyone to use a provider address these days for their primary account. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc are all free and you're decoupled nicely.
Hmmm, I've been setting everywhere up with my sky email address, not a good idea, lesson not learned. Rethink needed

Id recommend gmail to be honest. I dont think I will ever go back to a "providor based" addy. I decided a few yrs ago that I wanted the independence etc

I have my own domain name but point the DNS MX records at Gmail. This way if Google ever become dicks, I can simply change email providers but my address doesn't change.

Well, if you're not paying for it then I'd say you have no real right to be annoyed... Just having a basic email account used to cost quite a bit, nowadays it's dirt cheap (or free + ads) and allows you to use whatever ISP you want. Can't really say fairer than that!

You can do it all yourself with a spare old PC, a copy of the free version of Smartermail, and your own domain name. Total control.

Im surprised they haven't done this to me yet. Well, they have but I had a few different accounts, and two are still open...and I haven't been with them for over 5 years!

Jas.

I contacted VM a while ago to ask if I could keep the email despite them losing my custom and they told me only for 3 months.

It's a business email address so I ended up staying with VM.

Sky say your email address from them is for keeps. I'm still using mine over a year since defecting to VM. Shame Sky switched over to yahoo which uses crappy POP rather than IMAP.

I have my own domain name but point the DNS MX records at Gmail. This way if Google ever become dicks, I can simply change email providers but my address doesn't change.

I do very similar - works very well.

We do this where I work. Legacy accounts get deleted after 12 + 3 months after leaving. 12 months after we send a 3 month disconnection or the option of £1.99 PCM to host it. We do support it for that as well. I understand people get upset but it's a business.

Really if you use it for a business, it looks better to have your own domain anyway.

Three months should be more than enough time to make provision though.

Use the opportunity to rid yourself of a lot of excess baggage.

I understand people get upset but it's a business.
I understand that. I'd have thought though that by keeping people happy there is a chance of return custom.

Anyway, I was mad yesterday but don't care today, back to being a happy chappy. Unless my wife answers a cold call from Virgin :D

I understand that. I'd have thought though that by keeping people happy there is a chance of return custom.

Anyway, I was mad yesterday but don't care today, back to being a happy chappy. Unless my wife answers a cold call from Virgin :D

Just don't make the same mistake with your new provider!

As a man we are allowed to rant, it's one of our only rights!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom