Virgin standard combined with Humax to get BBC HD?

Simon 88

Standard Member
Hi,
I'm new so apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

I already have a Foxsat HD box, but have moved to a house with no satellite dish. I am thinking of getting Virgin cable with their M level TV. I don't watch enough TV to justify their V+HD box, but would I be able to combine their standard V box with my Fox Sat to watch BBC HD?

Thanks,
Simon

stevelup

Distinguished Member
There is no way of combining them. You'd need a satellite dish to use your Humax box.

There is no reason why you couldn't run them side by side though.

Steve

Simon 88

Standard Member
Thanks for the prompt reply Steve.
Is it because the service is encrypted differently via cable than via Freesat? Or is it just the logistics of feeding the Virgin cable stream into both the V box and the Foxsat?

If I got Sky (and put up a new satellite), could I take their Sky+ (non HD box) and not subscribe to their HD but somehow use the Foxsat to get BBC HD? Sounds unlikely but I think I read on their website that they carry BBC HD free or something.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Yep - you can do exactly that.

I don't really see the point in involving Sky - just get a local independent satellite installer to stick a dish up?

Steve

Simon 88

Standard Member
Thanks again Steve.
Either Sky or Virgin will have to be involved because having resisted Sky Sports for years I'm not prepared to miss both the Lions tour and Ashes. Whatever happened to the concept of a protected list of key National sports for terrestrial (free) TV?

I think I will go for a dish feeding both a Sky+ box for Sky sports and separately feeding my Humax with Freesat. Then if I don't renew my Sky subscription after a year I will still have freesat. Wheras if I took Virgin and didn't renew after a year I'd have FA because the loft aerial in this house doesn't even support freeview properly.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom