Virgin Samsung V+ picture ratio issue

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by floppus, Jul 31, 2012.

1. floppus

floppus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yesterday I had my original SA V+ box changed to the later generation Samsung. I have a new Nikkai 5.8 ghx mini-video sender which is transmitting the signal, very succesfully, to the 1st floor. It also worked well with the SA box but with the known issue of no menu banners. This issue doesn't exist with the Samsung and I now enjoy the full interface through the i/r system of channel selection and info screens albeit slighly slower using the remote through the nikkai.

The problem I have is that the signal coming from the video out scart on the V+ is not a pure 16.9 ratio but into my Samsung 27" TV the picture is 'stretched' even when the tv is set to 16.9 and the signal coming from downstairs is a true 16.9 (proven by the image on the tv downstairs).

The setting on the V+ are.... TV display :- HiDef HDMI......V+ Box HiDef output :- 1080 (or 1080 wide (makes no difference) )....TV auto-detects V+ Box (Scart) :- off.

The only way I can get the transmitted picture to look right is to set the TV display format to :- Widescreen. This causes the V+ Box HiDef output to default to Composite or RGB. This in turn causes the HDMI signal being reported on my main downstairs tv which is connected by HDMI changing from 1080i to 576i.

Can anyone throw any light as to what is going on..... This issue only started with the Samsung box. The benefits of the menu and banner displays are negated by the loss of picture ratio.

Thanks,

2. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I seem to remember a similar issue when we first got a Samsung V+ box.

I think it remembers what SD aspect ratio you last selected before switching to HD.

So, go to SD, select whatever aspect mode you want, then switch back to HD to get it right for your HDMI selected TV.

The Scart output should remember the last SD aspect used.

regards

Brian