Virgin requires assistance...

magicbeans

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I have inherited some 'kit' and I'm struggling with part of the set up. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer me. I am a relative novice but not a complete idiot (by some accounts).
Kit consists of...
Marantz CD12/DA12 (Ken Ishiwata signature model)
Audio Research SP9 pre-amp
Apogee Acoustics Subwoofer Dax (mini grand)
A 'mighty' Krell KSA 200 amp
Apogee Duetta Signature Series speakers (ribbon)...
sitting on Apogee Subwoofer 10 subs.

I connected the Marantz to one another using an optical cable, the Marantz to the SP9 using a marantz 'music link'. The outputs from the SP9 go to the 'mighty' Krell (not sure why I call it that!). Then the Krell outputs connect via very expensive looking SYMO LS5-SX Transconductance wires. The Signatures do not have shorting links but separate SYMOs for midrange tweeters and woofers. I have a pair of SYMO LS4x cables that I think should go to the subs.
All this seems to work perfectly and sounds amazing. Problem is I have no idea how to integrate or connect the DAX into the mix... According to the booklet the big wire system I have wired looks like it needs another amp for the subwoofer. I can post pictures of things if necessary but I am new to forums so bear with me... It is some amazing kit and I would love to get some help setting it up properly. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ...I'll try and attach a picture or two...
20170509_113406.jpg
20170509_115114.jpg
20170509_115129.jpg
20170509_084906.jpg
20170509_084933.jpg
20170509_084344.jpg
20170509_151010.jpg

That is a startlingly magnificent inheritance sir! :clap:

Have you a picture of the rear connections of the DAX?

I assume it's a cross-over between the panels and subs.

Should be simple enough with a picture.

Thank you for the clap. (don't hear that every day..) I believe picture three shows the rear of the DAX. I can maybe upload a picture from the manual it that might help? I just don't think that there was another amp in the original set-up but I could easily be wrong...

You inherited this ????

The Apogee ribbon speakers are near mythical in their sound quality and rarity. Given that they were made in the late 80s to early 90s.

Apogee Acoustics History
Apogee Acoustics Company Special | HFA - The Independent Source for Audio Equipment Reviews

The subwoofer Dax box is infact a Dax for Mini Grand.

Apogee DAX

Krell have the reputation of being heavyweights in power amps.
Marantz DAC and transport are circa 2006.
Acoustic Research SP-9 Pre-Amp

ARCDB - SP-9

Now to the setup -

in active system it looks like this:

source -> preamp -> active crossover (splitting the signal from preamp to power amps driving respective drivers) -> power amps (one stereo amp or two monoblocks for each driver) -> speaker drivers

So yours should be -

Transport/DAC ----> Acoustic Research SP9 Preamp ----> Dax -----> Krell ----> Apogee speakers

The thing I'm not sure about is the subwoofers. Do the connections from the Dax go directly to the subwoofers ? or should there be another stereo amp or 2 mono ones.
Some pictures of the speaker connections and subwoofers might help. Did you get any manuals with the kit ?
It also would be worth speaking to people in the know.

Reality Audio

Hope this helps you out.

Forgot to say go to You Tube and search Apogee Speakers and you'll see other setups and hear them.

Last edited:
People in the know suggest that thus forum represents people in the know. I have a manual for the DAX with set up diagram but still confused. The subs have SYMO LS4 cables but can't see where to attach them. I really need set up in layman's terms as I am an audio newbie. That said, I fully appreciate what I have here and I am grateful for the advice. It is a privalidge to have an opportunity to experience such things. The DAC, for example, was only the second one modified after Ken Kessler's accordingly to the paperwork. And it is minty. I just wish I knew how to hook up the subs correctly. Don't be confused by my posts. I really am new to this. I've just done some research.... I will try and post picture from DAX manual to see it that helps anyone. With regard to the inheritance, it's not quite mine. Not yet....but, she will be mine. Mwah ha ha ha etc....

Can definately answer your question now. The first pic of the manual is pertinent to your setup as you have bi-wireable speakers. I was correct in that you are missing another amp as in another stereo amp or 2 mono amps. The wiring would then be -

Dax Subwoofer outputs -----> Stereo amp or two monos ------> subwoofers

Aha. Then it seems that the preamp output goes to the DAX then the DAX splits the signal to the inputs on the Mighty Krell (speaker level) and a further cable each side for another stereo or a pair of mono amps for the subs.

But as you'd likely need something of the quality (and therefore price) of the Krell I'd stick with it as is for now as you seem very happy with it.

Damn click bait title, this thread isn't what I was hoping for.... :facepalm::rotfl:

Would this do? It's not 'mighty' but coyld well be adequate to test the dax. What would I connect to on the back of the pre amp? I just need to prove that everything works as it should as it is looking increasingly like I might have to sell it on behalf of the family. [emoji26]
20170513_105240.jpg
20170513_105250.jpg

Had to check the user guide for that amp but you should be able to use it.

upload_2017-5-13_12-7-31.png

Think the above diagram should cover it.

I really appreciate that. Will set it up and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your time...

So, everything seems to work perfectly! I had to improvise on the sub cables as spades into bananas don't go it would seem...[emoji21] Unless anyone knows of a solution to that? I won't post a picture of how I got around it for fear of being banished to the Alba forums... [emoji55] That said, it seems a truly remarkable set up. I cannot get past 1/4 volume as I have a glass ceiling (literally). I will try and post a video of it all working tomorrow for those who are interested. The only down side is it looks like the kit will have to be sold. [emoji21] Please can anybody advise me the best way to proceed with this dreadful task? Does anyone know how to get it all valued fairly? Once again, I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me. I would have been lost without the help that this forum has provided me. [emoji8]

If the subs have the same connectors as the Krell and Apogees it should just be a case of unscrewing it to allow a spade connector to be connected. In your original post you said you had inherited it so that would suggest it was left to you or is this not the case ?
Would suggest that you start by talking to Reality Audio as they know alot about the speakers and should give you an idea of value.

The connectors on the separate sub (which we decided we needed to drive the DAX sub controller) are different. I won't cut the SYMO leads so I was wondering if there was a way of converting the spade ends to banana ends. I'll post a picture of what I've done to get round it but you will all no doubt berate me as some kind of philistine. (it was desperation). It looks like the kit may have to be sold to satisfy the estate. At the very least, I will need to get reasonably accurate valuations on the kit. Seems a shame to break it up though to be honest as it looks like a great set up....

Hallo magicbeans,
just wondering if you still own the system.
In this case I'm very interested in buying some units.
If you are still tuned in this forum let me know.
Thanks in advance
Alex

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom