Virgin picture quality

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
I'm thinking of making the jump from Sky Q to Virgin. It will be a big saving plus a huge increase in BB speed.
But a friend has just swapped and is not impressed at all with the picture quality on his 65C8 Oled.
I will not make the change if PQ is going to be worse than Sky Q.
Anyone else who has made the change got any thoughts?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think that the consensus of opinion is that SKY PQ is better than Virgin Media's. What isn't clear is why this would be the case? The compression and feeds are basically the same so this brings into question the STBs and their video processing. THe perceived differences could in fact be due to scalling as opposed to differences in signal and or formatting?

Technically and in association with the feeds both are given, neither is anything to get excited about. They are both below par and over compressed.

Note that if comparing your friend's setup to yours then don't forget to factor in the fact that his TV and other hardware may not be the same as yours. If making comparisons thaen thoose comparisons have to be made using the same hardware and setup. Too many people suggest one as being superior based upon what they've seen elsewhere without taking into consideration that elsewhere may have a better or worse TV or accounting for how that TV has been configured and setup.

Last edited:

mikeysthoughts

I've just had Virgin installed. PQ is noticeably worse than the in built Freeview tuner. I've played with all the video output settings on the virgin box but the only thing that improves it is to max out video processing and brightness on the TV. No thanks.

Virgin forums suggest the V6 box is simply not up to standard. There has been a noticeable step down from the TiVo box apparently.

Extremely disappointed and I'll be inviting virgin to rectify it or to remove their kit within the cooling off period.

ggwoodland

I think the PQ is pretty good and it was certainly comparable to what I had previously with Sky Q. My LG is upscaling to 4K really well. I set the v6 box to 1080p as when it was on 4K I was having some handshake issues

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
All broadcaster can change the bit rates, in fact I was testing Freeview products.
There is a technique called statistical multiplexing where the can change bitrates on the fly e.g. if a very popular programme is coming up they may reduce the bitrates on the other channels in that multiplex.

mikeysthoughts

All broadcaster can change the bit rates, in fact I was testing Freeview products.
There is a technique called statistical multiplexing where the can change bitrates on the fly e.g. if a very popular programme is coming up they may reduce the bitrates on the other channels in that multiplex.
Having spent some time with the service now, I think this is spot on. Flagship programmes and events have a slightly better PQ. Still not as good as the in built tuner and apps though.

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
A couple of times I saw picture quality change when watching a film and yes, it was dead on the hour.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom