Virgin multi room installation help (urgent)

typeractive

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My other half has virgin media into her living room, currently building a kitchen extension and she would like to put a TV in the kitchen diner area, so we want to know how the multi room installation actually works. I have tried looking on the virgin media website, called them and the call centre people are happy to sell the upgrade but can't explain what equipment comes and how it connects. We're at a stage if we need to run cables then they need to be chased into walls etc.

Does the multi box just receive a wireless broadcast from the main box?
Or is it hard wired?
Does it spur from the main entry point?

Any help would be so appreciated (pics would be amazing) as the last thing we want to do is have to make more holes and cable runs afterwards.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Last time I had multi room form Virgin they ran another cable around the house from the small box they install on your outside wall, with its own box in my second room.

Last time I had multi room form Virgin they ran another cable around the house from the small box they install on your outside wall, with its own box in my second room.
Thanks cryfreman, I suspected that would be the case for a multiroom install. How long ago was it when you last had it?

the reply given is correct.

each box requires its own coax cable feed to receive live TV.
for internet acess (catchup etc) it can be connected via ethernet or wifi.

Thanks chenks!
One thing to note is the newer lines they use need power, so 2 lines (coaxial type) come into the house with one of them going straight into a plug and the other into the router.
If possible try and get the entry point close to a plug, or at least at a spot where running a cable to a plug isn’t a problem.
I didnt know this so ended having to hide 2 cables running around my room.

Thanks, I think we will probably look to a distribution using CAT6 purely due to the timing of the virgin installation and the current renovation work. We can throw in a CAT6 and a HDMI cable and then use a splitter if needed. I know remote wise on the HDMI won't be 'possible' (well I mean easily), but I know I can distribute via CAT6 kit.

Thanks, I think we will probably look to a distribution using CAT6 purely due to the timing of the virgin installation and the current renovation work. We can throw in a CAT6 and a HDMI cable and then use a splitter if needed. I know remote wise on the HDMI won't be 'possible' (well I mean easily), but I know I can distribute via CAT6 kit.

What box do you have? Is it. V6? If so it may just be easier getting the software update to 360, think it’s about £25 and they send a new remote in the post, you can then add additional boxes which works like the sky Q platform, ie wireless, no additional cabling required.

Does the multi box just receive a wireless broadcast from the main box?

just like this :smashin:

Chopples this is exactly what I was looking for. When I have looked on the virgin site it doesn't state that it is wireless, just that you can multiroom with little boxes. If we can do it this way, it will save a lot of problems for my other half! You would think they could make it clear that it is wireless!! Their customer support has been rubbish also for such simple queries.

Chopples this is exactly what I was looking for. When I have looked on the virgin site it doesn't state that it is wireless, just that you can multiroom with little boxes. If we can do it this way, it will save a lot of problems for my other half! You would think they could make it clear that it is wireless!! Their customer support has been rubbish also for such simple queries.

I am really sorry I think I have messed up here, the mini boxes apparently do still require a coax, I am sure I read they are developing a slave box similar to sky Q, a puck shape, not sure, it appears anyway I have had a bit of a brain fart and lead you down the garden path, sorry about that mate

Yes the mini boxes still require coax cable

Lol, that's ok mate, I did get all excited. Luckily I hadn't told the other half and then had to explain it was wrong! haha

If you already have a V6 as your main box do not update to 360, the 360 functionality is massively reduced compared to the V6. Ask for a second V6, that way you keep all the functionality on both boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom