1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Mega-Store Sale

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Ekko Star, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Picekd up

The Mummy Legends 5disc set for £9.99
    Nightmare on Elm St 6 Discer £14.99
    Fred & Ginger Collection £17.99
    Ripping Yarns £12.99

Plenty of rubbish in there as usual but a few gems as well....

2. sollas001

sollas001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - saves me trawling the aisles, but just remembering sales from only 2 years ago in Virg - absolute dross, sale-or-return type reject CDs, stuff that was cheaper to unload to the public than to fill the rubbish bins with.

Yes - it does cost stores to take that sh## away!

Hmv and Virg websites give a clue to what you might get - but they sometimes put goodies in on Day One as ?doorbusters...their term, not mine.

Incidently, several times, one of these stores has mis-priced sale goods and charged a higher amount at the till. I talked at length to my Trading Standards Duty Officer about this.

Buyer beware - as you have to check the price before paying, as the price is only an offer. Stores are not obliged to give the lower price on the item (several I have seen had one low price on the front & a higher one on the bar code). In Scotland, this goes against advertising practices and it may be a Criminal offence (I wondered why the store salespeople ripped the incorrect price stickers off - it's the quickest I've seen people in HMV work).

I was asked if I was alone when "buying" the items (in Scotland - a witness is required) so it is taken seriously. Trading Standards will do a test purchase and if the same result occurs, the store may receive a punishment.

I am tired of having to count to within a few pence of my purchases as I don't trust the anonymous sales service in large stores - I sometimes buy large amounts with vouchers and checking is a pain.

3. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny but I've had some real bargains through some of the majour high street retailers through their 'cock-ups' with wrong prices on the shelves. As far as I was aware if it is advertised at a certain pice - they are obliged to sell it to you at that price?

An example was a new Microsoft Keyboard I bought - Currys & PC World next door to each other (owned by same parent co. I believe) PC World it was £34.99 - Currys £4.99. Although the barcode said £34.99 when I took it to the till, I explained that the shelf said £4.99 and that's what they sold it to me for!!!

Chris

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,089
    Shops are under no obligation to sell you anything. A lot of them do honour price errors but there is no legal requirement to do so.

5. sollas001

sollas001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's only to foster goodwill that stores honour "human error" and probably down to how well-trained and what mood shop assistants are in, in my experience. In Edinburgh and Glasgow they seem not to care if you leave what you intended to buy on the counter and just walk out. There will always be a plentiful supply of mugs who will buy at whatever price they ask.

People love to spend a few hours in the shopping areas and are willing to pay for the privilege.

I looked at the "Sale" prices in Edinburgh Princes Street today and smiled at those who pass Virgin and pay an extra £10 for the same DVD in HMV. A few minutes walk will save them £15 off the Rings Trilogy if they go to Fopp. If the post didn't lose a high number of items through the post, I'd save more through the internet.

Does anyone have problems with replacement or refunds on lost items, including overseas shopping? In the UK they are not obliged, seemingly - goodwill again if they replace. It is up to the Post Office to refund, with all the hassle of sending proof and waiting for a decision. At least in a shop, you know what you are buying, even if only empty DVD boxes as W. H. Smith in Edinburgh sold me this month! Dohhh. Pay peanuts and get the best monkeys.