Virgin media's Hub 5.

Thanks engineer came out and offered to fit a hub 3 back in so accepted as he was kind off suggesting I did. So we will see
That seams to be what everyone is doing how embarrassing by vm it really is

The other thing people are doing is to put the hub into modem mode and purchase their own router

Isn't the Hub 5 still in its trial phase and not general release yet?

The other thing people are doing is to put the hub into modem mode and purchase their own router
That's what I did and bought the Amazon eero system and it works faultlessly all through the house and out in the garden and all up the drive.😁

Isn't the Hub 5 still in its trial phase and not general release yet?

Yes i believe you are correct although Virgin are not being up front about that fact when they offer the “upgrade” to hub5

It doesn’t nope
The Hub 4 does work with the virgin connect app...its just the 5 that doesn't at the moment.

I've got the hub 5,but purchased the Decco x60 and its works flawlessly.(most of my equipment is hardwired vis ethernet) but on wi-fi for the ring doorbell and phones/tablets.

The Hub 4 does work with the virgin connect app...its just the 5 that doesn't at the moment.

I've got the hub 5,but purchased the Decco x60 and its works flawlessly.(most of my equipment is hardwired vis ethernet) but on wi-fi for the ring doorbell and phones/tablets.
You sure

Attachments

• 537D9E13-DE33-413E-8DD6-CFEC6B80D56A.png
    537D9E13-DE33-413E-8DD6-CFEC6B80D56A.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 124
Yep says it works with the hub 4.

Yep says it works with the hub 4.

But that would contradict what @the porter has shown with the app and what I thought. Where does it say? Do you have it working yourself as I have found VM take forever\don't bother sometimes updating apps.

This is what really annoys me about virgin, you have 1gig customers who could benefit from the hub5 (I would put it in modem mode, don’t care about voip phone or wireless extenders as don’t need them) and cannot get it due to these idiotic restrictions yet they are giving it to 300mbps customers who don’t need it ***!

I have an ASUS AX89X router which as 10Gbps WAN and LAN connections so will work the 2.5Gbps port on the hub5 nicely. The 10Gbps LAN port connects to one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B0849LBNZ7
I then have my consoles/streamers hard wired to the zyxel and the 2 x 2.5Gbps ports connected to my QNAP NAS (load balanced connections with SSD cache).

Surely it would make sense for virgin to let people opt to take the hub5! Like everything they do its always a fudgeup.

Last edited:
So moved from a Hub 3 to a Hub 5 after VM offered the free upgrade via email. I am on M350 in Newcastle upon Tyne. I only use them in modem mode with a trusty old Asus RT-AC68U on the latest Merlin firmware.

I notice no obvious changes to my connection though I have not done any online gaming over it yet. Streaming and downloading are solid. I think my speed test has gone up from ~376Mbps to 384Mbps. From my BBQM below the latency looks the same. You will see the max latency dropped back to normal a few hours after first connecting it.

Hub3 Day before replacing it:
1660569399716.png

Hub5 today after replacing yesterday afternoon at around 1pm.
1660569434210.png

It's a shame that the hub 5 is not compatible with the new stream box!!

I stil don't have a separate router so am sticking with the Hub3 for now because most of the issues people have had are when using the hub5 in router mode rather than modem mode.

I stil don't have a separate router so am sticking with the Hub3 for now because most of the issues people have had are when using the hub5 in router mode rather than modem mode.
The modem mode plus decent router is the way forward though. Its the most solid internet I have ever had in this setup. Even when I used my Asus router with Plusnet VDSL it was shaky due to the crappy copper Openreach junk.

I will caveat that I am on pretty new Virgin FTTP infrastructure installed in 2020 but with M350 + modem mode + old (all kinks long gone) Asus AC68U router it's rock solid and I throw the kitchen sink at it with my downloads, two 4K TVs streaming, tablets, phones and online gaming.

A friend had the same new M350 on new FTTP but was having issues. I told him to get an Asus router (I think he got a AC86U and modem mode his Hub 3 (or maybe 4) and that was the last I heard of any issues in his house.

I'm a 1gbit customer still stuck on a Hub 4. Kind of odd that I haven't been offered an upgrade yet.
Same. I had an online chat with VM, they said 5 has just been released so I was in luck. Put me through to the CS team who said nope, it's not been released, you'll get an email to allow you to express interest. Emails aren't my thing tbqhwy.

The Hub 5 now features officially on their public pages, alongside the H4 and H3, and I was corrected yesterday on another forum after I replied to someone and said I thought the H5 was still in trial.

My Hub 5 is still working fine with no issues. Latency still seems the same as Hub 3 but its very stable and not a downgrade in any way I can see so no reason not to upgrade when you get the chance.

1662740464423.png

I will take one as a free upgrade when offered, for its 2.5 Gb port.

I've had a hub 5 for a week now, it's fine, except, my wife's Samsung Galaxy A53 will not hold a WiFi connection. I've searched loads and changed various configuration options, still the same. Guess I'm going to have to put it in modem mode and use another router for WiFi.

I've had a hub 5 for a week now, it's fine, except, my wife's Samsung Galaxy A53 will not hold a WiFi connection. I've searched loads and changed various configuration options, still the same. Guess I'm going to have to put it in modem mode and use another router for WiFi.
Have you downloaded the virgin connect app?

It now supports the hub 5 and is a useful tool in helping you get the best out of the hub 5.

It will also scan for any dead spots in your house when using wifi,and will allow you to order mesh pods.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom