Virgin media's Hub 5.

Ordered my 1.15gb upgrade yesterday as my existing contract had come to an end (it actually worked out cheaper than I am currently paying). Currently have SH3 so they said I would need a SH upgrade. Tried to get the SH5 but they won't go for it and are shipping a SH4. Doesn't make too much difference as I am only going to be using it as a modem but would have been useful to have a 2.5Gb port for future upgrade.

Ordered my 1.15gb upgrade yesterday as my existing contract had come to an end (it actually worked out cheaper than I am currently paying). Currently have SH3 so they said I would need a SH upgrade. Tried to get the SH5 but they won't go for it and are shipping a SH4. Doesn't make too much difference as I am only going to be using it as a modem but would have been useful to have a 2.5Gb port for future upgrade.

Are you going to do multiple links instead to benefit from the higher speed?

Are you going to do multiple links instead to benefit from the higher speed?
I'm having a look but my Asus AX-88u only supports link aggregation so I am thinking the round-robin dual option isn't going to be much use but I'll have a play with it and see I can get it working.

I'll live with 940mb download and reality is that is that I rarely make full use of the 600mb I currently have and my daily big downloads are set to run overnight. 50mb upload will be useful but again most of my backups are overnight. Possibly the remote viewing of CCTV will benefit as I can't stream 5k reliably.

Anyone gone from a hub 3 to hub 5 and using modem mode and gaming IE xbox , pc ?

I have just swapped to the Hub 5 from 3. So far I've not noticed a huge improvement in terms of wi-fi connection and stability. On balance Hub 3 was more stable and for whatever reason my old Samsung Tab A 6 tablet wi fi connection now keeps dropping out. The connection to other devices (e.g. Nest, Alexa and Ring) seems no better or worse and the wi-fi signal reaches where it is required.

I have done all the normal things to improve and stabilise the Samsung but to no avail. It might be time to buy a new tablet or maybe other members may suggest a fix? My android phone works well with a strong wi fi connection sitting alongside the tablet that tells me I am not connected to the internet 🤔

I have just swapped to the Hub 5 from 3. So far I've not noticed a huge improvement in terms of wi-fi connection and stability. On balance Hub 3 was more stable and for whatever reason my old Samsung Tab A 6 tablet wi fi connection now keeps dropping out. The connection to other devices (e.g. Nest, Alexa and Ring) seems no better or worse and the wi-fi signal reaches where it is required.

I have done all the normal things to improve and stabilise the Samsung but to no avail. It might be time to buy a new tablet or maybe other members may suggest a fix? My android phone works well with a strong wi fi connection sitting alongside the tablet that tells me I am not connected to the internet 🤔
Thats one of the problems I'm having at the moment...my Samsung A6 tab keeps dropping WiFi...ive rebooted the hub on many occasions...still no joy.But my 7th gen ipad is fine as is my wife's Samsung phone that supports WiFi 6 along with my Samsung S9+....looks like we are the test dummies for this current hub 5...I don't think things will improve until next year...all wired connections are fine though(as I believe that games consoles and other equipment work best using ethernet cables gives the most stable and fastest results) I've kept the hub 3 as I never had any issues with it in the 7 years ive had it.

I had a hub 2 moved to a hub 3 and hated it , kept getting a stutter about every 30 seconds with cod.
Ive now got the hub 5 running in modem mode and the gaming is super smooth so if you get the chance go for it.:smashin:

Virgin media always over specs the connection speed, basically so they can get the advertised speed.

The one gig service is actually 1.152 Gbps.

Wired devices top out at around 930Mbps unless you use 2.5, 5 or 10Gb devices and the appropriate network hardware. (At least the hub now has a 2.5 Gbps port)

Most sites won’t keep up with your connection so check to make sure you are not wasting money
Hi please could someone explain this 930mbps wired limitation. I got a free upgrade from M600 to ,Gigabit via Volt but indeed only get 930 whereas I got 680 on M600

Hi please could someone explain this 930mbps wired limitation. I got a free upgrade from M600 to ,Gigabit via Volt but indeed only get 930 whereas I got 680 on M600

So there are two things, when Virgin supply a service the actual sync speed is often 10-12% faster than the advertised speed (but it’s the same for everyone at a given speed). When people then do Speedtest it gives a bit of headroom so that they should normally get the advertised speed and can’t complain against being missold.

It’s the same as when you buy a one litre bottle of coke for example they often will supply you 1.05 litres of coke because the filling machine is only accurate to 5% , so they guaranteed to not undo it which would be illegal in that case.

Then you have Gig One which is Virgin’s current top tier (till they launch 2.2Gbps) this you would expect to be 1,000Mbps but in reality it is 1,152 Mbps(from memory).

Gigabit Ethernet though is 1,000Mbps per port, however there are various overheads involved so the max throughput off measured will be in the order of 930-940Mbps.

If you use the gig one service with your own modem which a lot of people do then with a single connection you can only use 930 Mbps of the service.

That’s nearly a loss of 20% off the speed you are paying for.

The new super hub 5 has a 2.5Gb port so gets round this, or you do like me and others and buy even more equipment to get the full speed

Gigabit Ethernet though is 1,000Mbps per port, however there are various overheads involved so the max throughput off measured will be in the order of 930-940Mbps.

If you use the gig one service with your own modem which a lot of people do then with a single connection you can only use 930 Mbps of the service.

That’s nearly a loss of 20% off the speed you are paying for.

The new super hub 5 has a 2.5Gb port so gets round this, or you do like me and others and buy even more equipment to get the full speed
So how do I get round this? I have an SH4 and am using this direct wired with Cat 6. From what you say VM should supply a SH5 with every gigabit upgrade
Is this correct?

So how do I get round this? I have an SH4 and am using this direct wired with Cat 6. From what you say VM should supply a SH5 with every gigabit upgrade
Is this correct?

If you are using in modem only mode then you need a router that supports more than ethernet one connection using round robin to get the full bandwidth. Or get an upgrade to a Hub 5 and a router with at least a 2.5Gbe port on it.

At the moment VM for some reason are prioritising users with a SH2\3 for upgrade.

Is this correct?
The SH4 theoretical support 1.15gb through WiFi..

intersting - just upgraded to gig1 and found the limitations - although I'm only getting around 880mb/s at the moment I'll give it a couple of days to settle down. I'd probably be ok with 930..

I use nest wifi as the router which doesn't support link aggregation or have a 2.5gb socket. So guess I'm either waiting for the hub 5 (you'd think they'd prioritise gig1 customers?) or consider putting my hub4 into router mode. but from past experience I'd prefer to keep it modem only if possible

any good routers that have 2.5-10g ethernet ports (for when I eventually get a hub 5)? and is there a way I can use that (or the hub 4 in router mode) with the nest/google wifi?

There is no setting down with Virgin media, it syncs at the speed you get.

If you haven’t got 2.5Gb ports or round Robin link aggregation then it won’t make a difference if you have the hub 4 or 5.

Round Robin link aggregation also works in normal router mode too but that still won’t help you.

In router mode you can try samknows.com/realspeed (I think that’s right) to test the actual broadband speed

thanks. I don't want to flip into router mode just yet but I'm curious why I'm getting 880 or so rather than 940. Thats both testing on my PC (wired through a couple of switches) and from my nest wifi wired to the modem. I'd have thought the nest would be showing more like 930-940?

I'd be open to upgrading to 2.5GB switches and router etc if it might give me an extra 200+mb/s. Whether that means waiting for hub 5, link aggregation, extra hardware etc. Just curious what would be needed.

well only on the 100Mb and received my email today to upgrade to the hub 5 so took it

thanks. I don't want to flip into router mode just yet but I'm curious why I'm getting 880 or so rather than 940. Thats both testing on my PC (wired through a couple of switches) and from my nest wifi wired to the modem. I'd have thought the nest would be showing more like 930-940?

I'd be open to upgrading to 2.5GB switches and router etc if it might give me an extra 200+mb/s. Whether that means waiting for hub 5, link aggregation, extra hardware etc. Just curious what would be needed.
SH5 has a 2.5gb port and would be the easiest option in conjunction with 2.5gb Router.

If you are in router mode the following site can measure speed from router to internet

Seems to be big limitation at the moment, if you are on VM VOIP service that then SH5 is not enabled for it according to other forums...

So how do you get the router to get max speed? I have set the hub 4 to modem only mode. I have the asus RT-AX89X router which supports dual gigabit input.

Does it support load balancing via round Robin? If it doesn’t then you need a different router.

So how do you get the router to get max speed? I have set the hub 4 to modem only mode. I have the asus RT-AX89X router which supports dual gigabit input.

AFAIK, Asus firmware only supports dual WAN for failover so it one or the other but not both. You need a SH5 connected to the 10Gb WAN port to get full speed and I don't know when they will be rolling those out to general customers.

For those lucky to be on hub 5, which town / county are you in? Not available for me in Preston Lancashire yet.

Just logged into my VM online account, no prompt, no email, no nothing as yet. Leicestershire.

For those lucky to be on hub 5, which town / county are you in? Not available for me in Preston Lancashire yet.
Uddingston billing area on 100mb

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom