Virgin media's Hub 5.

oneman

No they haven’t upgraded the speed it’s 1152/52 down/up.

Docsis 3.1 is capable of at least a gig upload speed
While they have upgraded download to DOCSIS 3.1, upload is still DOCSIS 3.0. As they have announced full FTTP coverage by 2028 I imagine that they aren't going to bother with upload.

beerglass007

Any idea when the 1GB users will get Hub 5 please

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've had the email from Virgin offering me this but I want to make sure it won't break my Sonos system before agreeing to it.

Do any of you have Sonos speakers and a Hub 5 ? Any issues?

PaulMiles

Novice Member
Just received my Hub 5 as upgrade to Hub 4. Seems nice and quick, but I can't find a way into admin config, to manage DHCP reservations. The only admin option seems to be the initial setup wizard (setting SSID and password). Lost access to my reserved-address printers for instance (cabled to hub rather than WPS wifi)

Am I missing something, or has it dumbed down?

PaulMiles

Novice Member
Just received my Hub 5 as upgrade to Hub 4. Seems nice and quick, but I can't find a way into admin config, to manage DHCP reservations. The only admin option seems to be the initial setup wizard (setting SSID and password). Lost access to my reserved-address printers for instance (cabled to hub rather than WPS wifi)

Am I missing something, or has it dumbed down?
Doh! As soon as I posted that, I'm in. The problem was:
1. Setup Wizard prompts me to set new admin password (quite right)
2. I do that, it says it needs to reboot
3. It never reboots (10 mins) so I give up, close browser, and try again
4. So the new settings never take and I never get any further - same prompt next time
5. This time, I skipped setting new password, and it took me on to the dahsboard for dhcp etc

So still something wrong with the reboot trigger on the setup wizard, but otherwise good. I can reset admin password from the dashboard

PaulMiles

Novice Member
Out of interest, are you on their 1 Gb service?
My contract is Vidid 200. They just completed some major roadworks to "upgrade their service", then they mailed me that I could now get benefit from a new hub. But no sign of automatic gratis upgrade to 1GBps. Maybe I should threaten to leave, that usually does the trick...

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I think they're emailing quite a few people to tell them they can "upgrade" to the new hub but reading posts on the Virgin forums it would appear this hub is still being tested and there's still quite a few issues with it.

A reply I keep seeing from people on there is :-

"The Hub5 is not on general release yet - so it is plagued with firmware bugs. You are effectively beta-testing it for VM"

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
My contract is Vidid 200. They just completed some major roadworks to "upgrade their service", then they mailed me that I could now get benefit from a new hub. But no sign of automatic gratis upgrade to 1GBps. Maybe I should threaten to leave, that usually does the trick...

Thanks! I suspected you weren't on 1 Gig to have been offered the SH5, but wanted to check.

I read the reason 1 Gig customers are not being offered the SH5 yet is because of some issues they're still working on with using their Wi-Fi pods with it, as they supply these free to 1 Gig customers, so they can't give out the SH5 en masse and then get lots of complaints from Wi-Fi pod users.

I also read they were having issues with providing landline via the SH5, which is how they now deliver landline connections, so this probably explains why certain old hub and SH3 users have been targeted first for the SH5 trial (I guess landline socket customers).

PaulMiles

Novice Member
I think they're emailing quite a few people to tell them they can "upgrade" to the new hub but reading posts on the Virgin forums it would appear this hub is still being tested and there's still quite a few issues with it.

A reply I keep seeing from people on there is :-

"The Hub5 is not on general release yet - so it is plagued with firmware bugs. You are effectively beta-testing it for VM"
Thanks - makes sense of my experience with the buggy install wizard

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I have had a hub 3 for about 7 yrs with no issues I am broadband only 200mb deal. I got a call from virgin a few days ago offering me a free upgrade to hub 5 i said yes please. It arrived yesterday but I probably won't install it for a few weeks as seeing as it is still new and a bit buggy I will wait till my techie daughter comes to visit me in about 4-5 weeks as she is a wiz with this sort of thing.:D

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Looking at the multiple issues still being reported on the Virgin forums and people asking to be reverted back to their previous hardware, I suspect it will be more than a few weeks before all issues are sorted.

People who use their own routers and put the Hub5 into modem mode seem to be OK though.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I thought I would be installing my new hub 5 which arrived last Friday in a few weeks when my daughter comes to visit. However last night about 11.30pm we lost or virgin broadband.

I had gone to bed so did not notice till this morning when I got up about 7.30am got a bit worried as did not initially know what was up as we almost never have an interruption in service. We had an awful lot of rain round here most of yesterday and it has been known that local flooding can cause temp outages. I checked with my phone that virgin was not down so that ruled them out.

Then a ping on my phone with a text from Virgin saying "Your new Virgin media has been activated" so they had without my approval disconnected my Hub 3 and was now going to have to setup the 5 to get the internet back.

Fortunately called my daughter up and she was able to guide me through the process and it all went well and was pretty easy in the end. I think as we were using it only as a modem as we have an Amazon eero wi-fi system things were made easy and as posted above better to use that than the hub 5 in wi-fi mode.

It's now working great and feels zippier than before so all's well that ends well. Just annoyed that it would have been great had they given me notice they were going to cut us off.

I just got my hub 5 like 2 weeks ago and I am not impressed with it I am downloading a 90 GB game on Xbox with ethernet and everything done to make It install faster, but the thing is I am only getting 30 Mbps to 20 Mbps and that makes me sad really. I have to wait a full day for it to install.

Sorry for the blurry image.

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_172720_837.jpg
    IMG_20220327_172720_837.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 64
D

Deleted member 901590

Thank you,will update when I get the hub 5...was a little annoyed as I want to upgrade to 1gig...but because I'm a trialing the new virgin stream box i can't upgrade to 1 gigabit!!

Hi DTS, if you've already discussed in another thread please send me a link, I don't want to go too off topic. What are you thinking of the stream box you have on trial? Do you know when they are launching it? And, does it record programmes or is it only catchup like the new Sky puck (without Glass)? Thank you.

r21442

I've had the email from Virgin offering me this but I want to make sure it won't break my Sonos system before agreeing to it.

Do any of you have Sonos speakers and a Hub 5 ? Any issues?
YES!

Had the misfortune to set about my hub3 to hub5 'upgrade' today. I was nervous already reading this and many other forums. First off, it booted seemingly OK and then turned flashing green downloading an up to date firmware as expected. The leaflets with the unit said allow 30 minutes and 1 hr - why the difference? I did the ironing then took the dog out. 2hrs still flashing green! All through this I noticed my PC which is hard-wired via two gigabit switches would intermittently get a network connection and I could load pages albeit s-l-o-w-l-y. Wi-fi was similar. Not useable.

Called VM, immediately it recognised that I'd ordered the hub5 and offered me the 'do you want to activate it' option? Well there's nothing in the blurb about THAT being a needed step! I pressed for YES and got a text saying I was now activated but the problems remained.

Called again and got through to support very quickly for once - almost like they know? :( Guy said lots of problems, it is just a trial you know (well the invite never said THAT!) advised a hard reset and he held on the line. It made no difference. I have an 8dB attenuator on my line and asked if I still needed that? He said try removing it! No difference. The app could see there were line issues. He raised a ticket and said they'd call in 4hrs...hopefully!

In the meantime I'm thinking what else can I do? In one of the booklets it does say don't site the hub5 within 1 metre of any other wireless device. In my service cupboard I also have my SONOS boost. Anyway, powered this off and lo and behold the internet sprung to life - ethernet and wifi flying! Powered it back up and it was dead again. Moved the boost to my office 25 feet away and it killed everything again.

It is almost like the Sonos mesh is messing with the hub5? Why it should mess the ethernet is mystifying? The Sonos is still running a mixture of hard wired and Sonos mesh. One thing might be I run an S1 system - do the old components only run 802.11 b/g/n and the boost runs ax as well and that is screwing it up? I'll monitor all this and report back. I have the option to switch the sonos to run off the wifi as well. Checked btw it is set up as ch 6. Not got as far as checking the hub5 setup. It has been exhausting. Still waiting for tech support.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you have a mesh system in the house if you want to run that you need to use the Hub 5 in modem only mode, I am no techie but that's how I understand it.

Mine uses eero amazon mesh type system and has been rock solid since install a few weeks ago.

r21442

My Sonosnet mesh has run just fine with every virgin router they've ever sent! I may look at ensuring they're not competing on the same channel though my understanding from one review I read iirc was that the hub5 was smart enough to choose the best one after detecting what else was running? Have not yet looked into what customisation app I get when I connect to hub5 though the comments on here are not encouraging! Probably tomorrow's job?

r21442

Quick update today. Loaded up the Hub app on 192.168.0.1

Looks and feel more or less as the Superhub 3 app. Can allocate fixed IP if I want - someone claimed earlier that you couldn't - may not have been this forum?

Notice that 'channel optimisation' is disabled by default and that channels are 'auto' allocated by default so I am not too sure what channel they are actually running on and if that is dynamic or not? The defaults greyed out if I were to choose manual channels are 11 for 2.4GHz and 52 for 5GHz.

I got the return call from VM support this morning but we both acknowledged there was not much he could do to investigate the Sonos boost issue so we closed the ticket. I'm going to let things run a while and ensure everything seems fine. There's one corner of the house and my deck outside where reception was very poor and those are great now so wifi is looking pretty good.

RobTi

Anyone tell me how many WiFi devices a hub 5 can handle, having a lot of problems wired and wireless ?
Thanks

Anyone tell me how many WiFi devices a hub 5 can handle, having a lot of problems wired and wireless ?
Thanks
I would of thought easily everything you have at your disposal but if you read the vm forums there’s loads of problems with it typical vm launch they couldn’t run a piss up in a brewery

RobTi

I would of thought easily everything you have at your disposal but if you read the vm forums there’s loads of problems with it typical vm launch they couldn’t run a piss up in a brewery
Thanks engineer came out and offered to fit a hub 3 back in so accepted as he was kind off suggesting I did. So we will see

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV