Virgin media's Hub 5.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
I enquired about one when i phoned to renegotiate, the guy I spoke to said it was random who was being invited.

simpsod1

Hi All

A couple of quick questions as I'm getting virgin fibre installed on the 29th (Hub 5 confirmed)

1. Is it easy to change the SSID and Password on the Hub (if yes I will change it to the same as my Current BT Router and avoid the hassle of having to reconnect about 10 smart plugs etc...)

2. If I find that the wifi coverage is not good enough I'll get a TP link Deco mesh system, on the Hub 5 do all 4 Ethernets port remain active if it is set to Modem mode?

Thanks in advance

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
1) Yes - its just a menu option, you can also split the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs afaik (I don't use it in router mode)

2) Yes you can do but be careful because some of the cheaper\lower range models of mesh won't be able to keep up with VM\FTTP speeds and cause a bottleneck. Typically only one port remains active when you change to modem only mode (as effectively it just becomes a passthrough) it used to be the bottom one, however, on the SH4 it didn't matter I found.

simpsod1

@ChuckMountain

Thanks for this - can I trouble you with one other question?

Another thought I had was to leave the Hub 5 as is (so default SSID and Password) and connect a mesh network in Access Point but with my existing BT credentials - thoughts??

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Another thought I had was to leave the Hub 5 as is (so default SSID and Password) and connect a mesh network in Access Point but with my existing BT credentials - thoughts??

Yes, you can do but a guess a counter-question is why or what benefits do you think it would give?

One problem with WiFi is that is it the client device that decides when to change to a different network SSID or access points. Some of the higher mesh\WiFi APs can encourage a client to leave and reconnect but this can be ignored. You can end up with a client with effectively 1 bar of access clinging to an AP when there is an AP much closer with "full" signal.

If you use different SSID then they are usually considered separate networks by the device even if we know they are not. You can also get interference between the two networks as they effectively compete for airtime, particularly if on the same channel.

I personally would want the same SSID for the same type of clients so they should be able to roam around the house. This is the same that businesses and universities operate too so the user gets a good service regardless of where they are.

simpsod1

Yes, you can do but a guess a counter-question is why or what benefits do you think it would give?

One problem with WiFi is that is it the client device that decides when to change to a different network SSID or access points. Some of the higher mesh\WiFi APs can encourage a client to leave and reconnect but this can be ignored. You can end up with a client with effectively 1 bar of access clinging to an AP when there is an AP much closer with "full" signal.

If you use different SSID then they are usually considered separate networks by the device even if we know they are not. You can also get interference between the two networks as they effectively compete for airtime, particularly if on the same channel.

I personally would want the same SSID for the same type of clients so they should be able to roam around the house. This is the same that businesses and universities operate too so the user gets a good service regardless of where they are.
@ChuckMountain thankyou so much for your help here

It will probably help if I explain usage etc...

The hub 5 will be located in a corner of the house downstairs by the TV and Sky Q box.
My son would like a hardwired connection to the Hub5 (he a gamer)

So connected the the Hub 5's ethernet ports would be

1. Sky Q box
2. Sons gaming pc (upstiars bedroom but I already have two Cat5e cables running from behind the TV to upstairs)
3. Deco mesh system (AP mode with the existing BT SSID and password - mainly for smart home devices 10 plugs, 4 bulbs, 3 echos, 1 hot tub )

I'd leave the Hub 5's SSID and Password as per factory setting but wouldn't intend on connecting to it apart from the odd test)

The driver here is really the home automation and not knowing if the Hub 5's wifi coverage will be good enough - I thought a mesh in AP mode but with the exist SSID and password would provide a simple reliable solution?

Cheers Again!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
What speed from VM did you go for?

You can try either way but if the current setup is working as you want at the moment and quick enough for your needs, I would personally disable the SH5 WiFi and leave it off. That way it won't compete for airtime or have a problem with WiFi channels overlapping with the mesh.

You don't say how many Access Points you have with the mesh or how big your house is but I would imagine that most mesh systems could outperform an equivalent single access point in terms of coverage. Possibly not in overall top speed but remember most devices don't need more than 50Mbps and often IoT will require a lot less. Chasing a 500Mbps connection for all your WiFi device is going to be expensive...

You can always add an 8 port gigabit switch to the SH5 if you need more connections e.g. the TV and that will cost you less than £20.

simpsod1

What speed from VM did you go for?

You can try either way but if the current setup is working as you want at the moment and quick enough for your needs, I would personally disable the SH5 WiFi and leave it off. That way it won't compete for airtime or have a problem with WiFi channels overlapping with the mesh.

You don't say how many Access Points you have with the mesh or how big your house is but I would imagine that most mesh systems could outperform an equivalent single access point in terms of coverage. Possibly not in overall top speed but remember most devices don't need more than 50Mbps and often IoT will require a lot less. Chasing a 500Mbps connection for all your WiFi device is going to be expensive...

You can always add an 8 port gigabit switch to the SH5 if you need more connections e.g. the TV and that will cost you less than £20.
@ChuckMountain

I went for the M350 as it should be a big upgrade from the 33 we get from BT currently
It's a fairly large 4 bed and i need decent wifi in the garden for the Hot Tub - wifi coverage is something I can't knock the BT homehub for!

The Virgin speed will be good for downloading large games as my son normally has to do them at night due to it crippling our current bandwidth, but I agree with you 33Mbps has been more than adequate for our normal useage - coverage and stability is more important than ultimate speed to me.

Final question - i promise!
So disabling the Wifi on the SH5 puts it into modem mode and then only one ethernet port will function. So I could connect a switch to that port and then run the deco off that switch (as well as the sky and PC)?

once again thanks for the assistance - I'm just trying to get the plan clear in my head as I sadly have very limited time to experiment

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So disabling the Wifi on the SH5 puts it into modem mode

I will answer before @mickevh jumps in as he likes this particular question :)

So no just disabling WiFi on any Super Hub does not change the router mode. The rest of the device will function as normal e.g. the 4 ethernet ports, the firewall, DHCP (IP address allocation)

Modem only mode is a separate function completely and disables all routing, DHCP, firewalls and WiFi etc too.

simpsod1

I will answer before @mickevh jumps in as he likes this particular question :)

So no just disabling WiFi on any Super Hub does not change the router mode. The rest of the device will function as normal e.g. the 4 ethernet ports, the firewall, DHCP (IP address allocation)

Modem only mode is a separate function completely and disables all routing, DHCP, firewalls and WiFi etc too.
@ChuckMountain

well I think that sorts me out then! plan will be

1. Change SSID of SH5 to my current BT one
2. Disable wifi
3. use the 4 SH5 ethernet ports (one of those for the mesh access point)

Cheers for all the help mate - If you ever have any questions on excel, sky q or VW id.3's ask me!!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
No worries.

Not sure why you want to set the SSID on the SH5 to be the same as the mesh access point\BT. Be worth keeping it separate even though it will be disabled.

I call my wireless networks some more meaningful than the random name from the ISP. It also means it's never the same as the default one in case ISP passwords gets compromised and that's happened too many times...

@simpsod1 dont forget if you have a o2 sim or pick up the cheapest sim you Would get the free double up,if you can blag the 500mb out of vm you would get the free upgrade to 1gb

Last edited:

DavidT

Deleted

Kotatsu Neko

I've just returned to VM after many years and it's great to finally be rid of ancient BT copper. They gave me a Hub 4 though and the fastest I can get out of it on WiFi is about 400mbit. On Ethernet that rises to 940mbit. I'm not complaining as compared my BT this is hyperspeed, but would I be right to blame the Hub 4's antiquated ethernet ports and WiFi 5 for denying me the full 1100mbit it says I should get on the contract?

I'm using CAT 8 by the way.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I've just returned to VM after many years and it's great to finally be rid of ancient BT copper. They gave me a Hub 4 though and the fastest I can get out of it on WiFi is about 400mbit. On Ethernet that rises to 940mbit. I'm not complaining as compared my BT this is hyperspeed, but would I be right to blame the Hub 4's antiquated ethernet ports and WiFi 5 for denying me the full 1100mbit it says I should get on the contract?

No because the contract will achieve the minimum guaranteed speed of (only) 500Mbit.

Cat 8 is pretty pointless considering cat 6 and even cat 5 will run 10Gb over shorter distances (eg at home)

oneman

I wouldn't call 1gb antiquated.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't call 1gb antiquated.
No but their upload speeds are…

Would rather have symmetrical 900Mbps than 1/20 off the download speed for upload. Unfortunately the likelihood of me getting fttp before I think 2026 is slim.

Come on VM the upload are limited by your infrastructure not the choice of docsis :(

Think its 1/10 these days since virgins DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade so should be 90mb up on 900 down but yeah if upload is important then there not the best.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
No they haven’t upgraded the speed it’s 1152/52 down/up.

Docsis 3.1 is capable of at least a gig upload speed

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification