Virgin media's Hub 5.

dts

Distinguished Member
Good evening everyone,so I have had an email from virgin media inviting me for a upgrade on the new hub 5.(I currently have the hub 3 and haven't had any issues with it) So I've signed up to receive the new hub that will be delivered in about a weeks time.Has anyone else got the hub 5 and how are you finding it? Is it an improvement over the hub 3? I'm currently on the upto 500 meg package but can get over 550 meg...the wifi has always been good with using the virgin connect app only our smart phones,Ring video doorbell and tablets are connected via WiFi.Everything else is connected via ethernet cables for the best performance.

Thank you.😊

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
There have been a few threads about it. Basically you get rid of the bad Intel puma chipset.

Would be interesting to do a broadband quality meter comparison before and after you swap.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Oh yes it has a 2.5 gigabit port so you can actually fully use their one gigabit or 2.2 gigabit service without some expensive workaround

dts

Distinguished Member
There have been a few threads about it. Basically you get rid of the bad Intel puma chipset.

Would be interesting to do a broadband quality meter comparison before and after you swap.
Thank you,will update when I get the hub 5...was a little annoyed as I want to upgrade to 1gig...but because I'm a trialing the new virgin stream box i can't upgrade to 1 gigabit!!

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Good evening everyone,so I have had an email from virgin media inviting me for a upgrade on the new hub 5.(I currently have the hub 3 and haven't had any issues with it) So I've signed up to receive the new hub that will be delivered in about a weeks time.Has anyone else got the hub 5 and how are you finding it? Is it an improvement over the hub 3? I'm currently on the upto 500 meg package but can get over 550 meg...the wifi has always been good with using the virgin connect app only our smart phones,Ring video doorbell and tablets are connected via WiFi.Everything else is connected via ethernet cables for the best performance.

Thank you.😊
You lucky bugger. I'm hoping for them to contact me, as want to see if it improves gaming pings. Im on the SH 3 on 350mb package.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member

That would be a good test, as I know when I did one ages ago it was not too great.

n_s_simpson

Thank you.😊

Please can you share the link? I read on the VM community page that it may work for others but the mods removed the link.

dts

Distinguished Member
Please can you share the link? I read on the VM community page that it may work for others but the mods removed the link.
It's via email invitations only at the moment...then for customers who have a VM hub 2 or 3 will be upgraded in 2022....I could send you a picture of the email but that would seem pretty pointless.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Is the link you put a specific one for you or just a generic page? Of the latter then sharing it to see if it works for one of us would not be an issue

dts

Distinguished Member
Is the link you put a specific one for you or just a generic page? Of the latter then sharing it to see if it works for one of us would not be an issue
Screenshot_20211112-192159_Email.jpg

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
If you right-click on the claim yours and then paste the URL into here or notepad, check to see if it has any codes or anything that would seem to identify you.

i.e. if it is virginmedia.com/claimmysuperhub5

rather than

virginmedia.com/claimmysuperhub?user=chuck&userid=1234

etc

If you are not sure you could PM me it and I can check, I will not use it if it does.

It would seem however that VM don't want a sudden flux which is why they seem a lot more proactive in the forums that normal when they remove them.

Presumably, you then log into your VM account to complete the order?

dts

Distinguished Member
It takes me to my account...I believe that when you name is on the email then it is account pacific...

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It takes me to my account...I believe that when you name is on the email then it is account pacific...

Yes, what you will probably find is that the link takes you to a specific point which will need a login. However I wonder if that’s just a generic link and that is why they didn’t want to share. If you are familiar with browsers it is easy to check

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yes just to see on one of the other threads, they have removed the link on the VM website now apparently too.

I mean fancy making a product available that solves a number of user issues and not actually allowing any of those users the ability to get hold of it... :facepalm:

Yeah the mods had a paddy yesterday and wanted no talk of it lol me and a few others managed to get an order confirmation but will see in 2 weeks if it arrives I’m not confident

dts

Distinguished Member
Well the new hub 5 got delivered yesterday...all set up and a day later it's causing me loads of issue's! It doesn't seem as good as my old hub 3...wifi seems very fickle both samsung tablets are having trouble connecting to the WiFi...ring doorbell camera keeps dropping connection so had to get my old tp link wifi extender out to get it working in the front room...Virgin are about as much use as a nun with tits...3 "Technical" support apparently didn't even know that the hub 5 existed and my virgin stream box doesn't seem to be compatible with the new hub 5...so disappointed with it performance.

dts

Distinguished Member
Well it’s nearly been a week since I’ve had the new hub 5….and it’s got better! Speeds have really been great…wife’s phone supports Wi-Fi 6 and getting over 580 meg on a upto 500 meg connection….I’m tempted to get the 1gig speed upgrade…everything else in my house is connected via gigabit network switches…The Wi-Fi signal seems to be better in the house(only live in a 2 bed terrace house…but the front bedroom and the back garden are getting more range and better speeds…so I’m happy with it…if you get the email invite then go for it.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Virgin media always over specs the connection speed, basically so they can get the advertised speed.

The one gig service is actually 1.152 Gbps.

The thing is what do you need the extra speed for? , compared to the extra cost.

Wi-Fi devices won’t benefit from it even if they could connect at that speed. Wired devices top out at around 930Mbps unless you use 2.5, 5 or 10Gb devices and the appropriate network hardware. (At least the hub now has a 2.5 Gbps port)

Most sites won’t keep up with your connection so check to make sure you are not wasting money

dts

Distinguished Member
Virgin media always over specs the connection speed, basically so they can get the advertised speed.

The one gig service is actually 1.152 Gbps.

The thing is what do you need the extra speed for? , compared to the extra cost.

Wi-Fi devices won’t benefit from it even if they could connect at that speed. Wired devices top out at around 930Mbps unless you use 2.5, 5 or 10Gb devices and the appropriate network hardware. (At least the hub now has a 2.5 Gbps port)

Most sites won’t keep up with your connection so check to make sure you are not wasting money
Thank you for the heads up....I have a ps5 and a Xbox series X and having the speeds certainly helps with the big updates on most games even with the current upto 500 meg service im not waiting long for the games to download on the consoles...only have a ipad and 2 Samsung tablets along with a couple of smartphones,a ring doorbell and some Google mini nests and a Google hub that are connected via WiFi...everything else in the house is using a couple of powerline plugs(1200 tp link) and some gigabit network switches for the wired connections...for Sky Q,LG oled tv....so maybe a 1gig connection would be overkill.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I tend to find the Xbox doesn’t go much past 500Mbps on download (wired), though haven’t watched it recently.

Steam on the other hand on PC will do and I have had speeds at around 135Megabytes a second, so around 12 minutes to download a 90GB games :D

Your powerlines will be your limiting factor and they should be banned as advertising them with their naming convention. At least tplink acknowledge it on this website now. Typically you would see only 150Mbps, maybe 200 on a good day through them. This was fine when broadband speeds were below 100Mbps but not now, they usually end up with roughly 10% off the advertised speed. Replace with hardwired Ethernet when/if you can.

The LG TVs still have a 100Mbit port so won’t go any faster.

I guess what I am saying is make sure that you can use the extra speed and will benefit from it, otherwise you are just increasing virgins bottom line :(

Last edited:

dts

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett