Virgin media upgrade

marc123

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help.

I am about to move into a new property and the only decent fibre speeds we can get is Virgin media. I understand the Virgin router is not very good at WiFi so am looking for advice on what router/modem upgrade would anyone recommend, also would I be better at looking at a mesh system for the house as I want to run my ring cameras/ door bell and alarm effortlessly as well as the other smart home things we have.
I am quite new to smart home set up so will need something simple to work/run if possible.

Thanks in advance
Marc

psychopomp1

Something like an Asus RT-AC86U (wifi 5) or RT-AX88U (wifi 6) should be a nice upgrade over the Virgin kit wrt wifi. Only consider a mesh system or additional APs if a single router doesn't cut it.

marc123

Something like an Asus RT-AC86U (wifi 5) or RT-AX88U (wifi 6) should be a nice upgrade over the Virgin kit wrt wifi. Only consider a mesh system or additional APs if a single router doesn't cut it.
How easy would it be to set up as I am a complete novice

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I would not pre-judge. Get moved in, try whatever the ISP provides for a few weeks, then fix any problems if you have them. I'm willing to bet there are literally millions of customers using VM's kit stock, and it's just fine in their use case.

Wi-Fi is so poorly understood by amateurs that a lot of Internet Myth's abound. I suggest it's better to take an evidence based approach and talk to people in forums like this that actually understand it.

Last edited:

oneman

Wireless alarms don't / shouldn't be using WiFi, they mostly operate on 868 MHz. Many 'smart' devices while working on 2.4GHz also don't use WiFi and using protocols like zigbee form their own mesh network.

My main suggestion would be to get as many high usage devices like TV, streaming devices, game consoles, cameras, PC hardwired via Ethernet. That leaves a lot more capacity for things like phones , doorbells and other mobile devices which can't be hardwired though there are hardwired doorbells available.

As mick suggest, wait until your new connection is installed and then see how it goes,

Downinja

As others have said, maybe suck it and see first. Had Virgin before (sadly current property isn't cabled).

One thing worth knowing is you can't technically replace it. You can change it to work in "Modem only Mode" and add your own router after it, but you still need to keep their kit.

I had an R7000 Netgear that did a good job, but there are newer and fancier bits of kit since then.

Might be worth giving a budget too

chukwe

I have used Virgin SH for many years without any issue with connectivity nor coverage.

I don't believe there are any modem/router that will give you better coverage than the SH as I have tried a few over years and returned them.

If your SH is covering the whole house, use the money for another router to call an engineer to add cables to your house and install AP(s)

marc123

I have used Virgin SH for many years without any issue with connectivity nor coverage.

I don't believe there are any modem/router that will give you better coverage than the SH as I have tried a few over years and returned them.

If your SH is covering the whole house, use the money for another router to call an engineer to add cables to your house and install AP(s)
Proper novice as mentioned above, can you tell me what SH stands for please

marc123

Thank you everyone for the advice, I will as many have said wait and see what sort of coverage I get once I’ve moved in 👍

stopford85

Novice Member
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help.

I am about to move into a new property and the only decent fibre speeds we can get is Virgin media. I understand the Virgin router is not very good at WiFi so am looking for advice on what router/modem upgrade would anyone recommend, also would I be better at looking at a mesh system for the house as I want to run my ring cameras/ door bell and alarm effortlessly as well as the other smart home things we have.
I am quite new to smart home set up so will need something simple to work/run if possible.

Thanks in advance
Marc
hi Marc i am a virgin engineer do already have virgin services or are you looking at getting virgin media i can help you with set up of smart home devices and installation

marc123

hi Marc i am a virgin engineer do already have virgin services or are you looking at getting virgin media i can help you with set up of smart home devices and installation
Hi,
I am moving into a 3 bed house that already has virgin media installed so will be looking at joining virgin media once I move in.
At the moment I am living in a flat using plusnet fibre which so far has been a great service averaging 51.1mbs download and 6.35mps upload over WiFi.

marc123

Hi all,
Ok I have my Virgin set up and running at 100mps download on WiFI next to the router but my ring door bell is having connection issues, on the device health it is showing RSSI-81 so poor signal. I have tried the ring WiFi booster series 1 in my hallway but this hasn’t helped.j
What advice would you give to help boost the signal please.
Kind Regards
Marc

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Have you ascertained that the bandit device has actually connected (called "Associated" on Wi-Fi speak) to your repeater - do not "just assume" that (any) Wi-Fi client connects to whatever is closest - they do not.

The best way to assure this would be to give your repeater/extender (whatever name they give it) a different SSID to the rest of the network, then you can be sure whether you are Associating with it or not.

marc123

Have you ascertained that the bandit device has actually connected (called "Associated" on Wi-Fi speak) to your repeater - do not "just assume" that (any) Wi-Fi client connects to whatever is closest - they do not.

The best way to assure this would be to give your repeater/extender (whatever name they give it) a different SSID to the rest of the network, then you can be sure whether you are Associating with it or not.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, can you tell me how I would go about giving the booster a different SSID.
I really am a complete novice at this so bare that in mind.
Regards
Marc

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You'd have to tell us it's exact make and model number - how to change the SSID varies between equipment and unfortunately, some devices don't allow it at all. It's usually a pretty trivial process.

Often the model number is cited in the user interface somewhere or on the "serial number" label if it's not in the documentation.

Last edited:

Sign of the times

Hi all,
Ok I have my Virgin set up and running at 100mps download on WiFI next to the router but my ring door bell is having connection issues, on the device health it is showing RSSI-81 so poor signal. I have tried the ring WiFi booster series 1 in my hallway but this hasn’t helped.j
What advice would you give to help boost the signal please.
Kind Regards
Marc
Hi

I had this issue after having virgin installed (200mg) 5g wifi .

Your going to like my fix ( well it worked for me 👀)

Turn the router off , then turn it back on again .

The only complaint i have with virgin is if i turn my vpn on and p2p ( work ) i’m gown to 700kb

marc123

Hi all thanks for the replies, it turns out the ring WiFi extender I have only works for the alarm and not the door bell 😒
So back to square one for me. I’m looking at purchasing TP-Link AC750 Universal Dual Band WiFi extender, can anyone tell me if I’m going in the right direction or should I be looking at alternative ideas?
Thanks in advance
Marc

oneman

Hi

I had this issue after having virgin installed (200mg) 5g wifi .

Your going to like my fix ( well it worked for me 👀)

Turn the router off , then turn it back on again .

The only complaint i have with virgin is if i turn my vpn on and p2p ( work ) i’m gown to 700kb
Sounds like a problem with your VPN. what speed do you get wired ?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021