Virgin Media traffic management policy updated 16th April

aidey6

Established Member
Reaction score
VM's top 5% statement has always annoyed me, because you might never hit the download cap and then one day you download a game demo that takes you over the limit and then you are instantly throttled. For arguments sake, if you only do it once in a year, how can you be labelled a top 5% user. Surely you would need to be hitting your limit regular to be affected by this policy.

Have superfast broadband, when not oversubscribed, but be limited on how you use your unlimited use connection, thanks to download and upload caps and traffic shaping on legal content you might be paying twice for (ISP fees and service subscription fees).

Go somewhere else you say. Because of VM's fibre optic monopoly and BT's slow roll-out, our choices are limited, unless we step back into the Dark Ages.

VM's top 5% statement has always annoyed me, because you might never hit the download cap and then one day you download a game demo that takes you over the limit and then you are instantly throttled. For arguments sake, if you only do it once in a year, how can you be labelled a top 5% user. Surely you would need to be hitting your limit regular to be affected by this policy.

Have superfast broadband, when not oversubscribed, but be limited on how you use your unlimited use connection, thanks to download and upload caps and traffic shaping on legal content you might be paying twice for (ISP fees and service subscription fees).

Go somewhere else you say. Because of VM's fibre optic monopoly and BT's slow roll-out, our choices are limited, unless we step back into the Dark Ages.

But in that scenario you've become a power user for that one day, so your speed is limited for that single day. If I've understood it correctly I actually think its pretty good - as they measure your usage per day and only limit you per day which seems fair enough.

What a joke. Virgin have the fastest broadband if you don't use it or use it after 11pm at night. I have a good mind to write Richard Branson and ask him if I book a flight to the US on first class will they move me to economy after 10 minutes of flight time?

Virgin sort it out. :thumbsdow

Last edited:
What a joke. Virgin have the fastest broadband if you don't use it or use it after 11pm at night. I have a good mind to write Richard Branson and ask him if I book a flight to the US on first class will they move me to economy after 10 minutes of flight time?

Virgin sort it out. :thumbsdow

Wo3Wb1t.jpg

absolutely Pathetic, come in from work download your newly released game i.e 12gb in some cases and get capped and were they get this 5% is beyond me, so why release faster broadband and advertise the fact:rolleyes:.

Welcome to the Digital revolution signed VM.

The UK isn't ready for full cloud, digital distribution or streaming services yet, because of policies like VM's.

XXL120
Weekday
Download Speeds - 120Mbps Upload Speeds - 12Mbps
When does it apply 4PM - 11PM When does it apply 4PM - 11PM
1 Hour threshold 5000MB 1 Hour threshold 1500MB
1 Hour reduction 30% 1 Hour reduction 60%
2 Hour threshold 6250MB 2 Hour threshold 2000MB
2 Hour reduction 40% 2 Hour reduction 75%
Weekends
When does it apply 11AM - 11PM When does it apply 11AM - 11PM
1 Hour threshold 5000MB 1 Hour threshold 1500MB
1 Hour reduction 30% 1 Hour reduction 60%
2 Hour threshold 6250MB 2 Hour threshold 2000MB
2 Hour reduction 40% 2 Hour reduction 75%

yay, if for some reason I have to redownload Star Trek Online or World of Warcraft BAM I am throttled, what the ****

i don't understand the new rules at all. does the 2 hours allowance include the bandwidth from the 1st hour?

they've reduced the allowances to very low levels, but then you only get capped for a shorter time. but with the higher allowances a lot less people would be capped in the first place

it seems like the most complicated rules i've seen in a while

i don't understand the new rules at all. does the 2 hours allowance include the bandwidth from the 1st hour?

they've reduced the allowances to very low levels, but then you only get capped for a shorter time. but with the higher allowances a lot less people would be capped in the first place

it seems like the most complicated rules i've seen in a while

I really don't understand this chart. So if I download say 10GB in a 6 hour period starting from the beginning, how would I get throttled? I'm on the 100Mb package with 5MB upload. Help a moron out. :smashin:

Last edited:
I think I'm XL20 - that telling me I get a 75% reduction in speed from 5-10PM if I've used 3500MB that day ?

Good old Virgin, they used to have the market all to themselves and now they are driving everyone away. All of my friends have moved to BT Infinity, better hardware and they're internet doesn't grind to a halt.

Personally I'll stick with Hyperoptic, 1 GB download and upload and I've yet to have any issues at all.

I think I'm XL20 - that telling me I get a 75% reduction in speed from 5-10PM if I've used 3500MB that day ?

They haven't changed this package's policy, yet.

Good old Virgin, they used to have the market all to themselves and now they are driving everyone away. All of my friends have moved to BT Infinity, better hardware and they're internet doesn't grind to a halt.

I'm considering BT Infinity, but have no idea when it will be in our area.

I'm tired of VM broadband.

It's quite simple. They have invested in faster technology and want you to upgrade.

Move up the speeds and you get much more flexibility.

You are being discouraged from being on the legacy speeds. It's a choice you have to make, but they are trying to make it easier for you. ;)

Well at least they are being honest about it. Most if not all of the other 'unlimited' ISPs have a statement hidden away about local conditions etc. Which to me means you will get unlimited speeds unless those around you nick the bandwidth for your area. Even with a restriction my connection would be fine for streaming and everyday use.

We all could get max unlimited super speeds if we really want it but I expect most would not be willing to pay the 'real' cost to get it. Think Easyjet compared to Concorde.

Mark I disagree.

Virgin set the prices, not the customers.. They saw fit to sell the 100Mbit package totally unlimited and then further down the line introduced the restrictions.

Now virgin are moving the goal posts again and I'm sure if they hadn't doubled people's speeds free of charge we wouldn't be in the position we find ourselves.

The fact Virgin persistently oversell their products and don't upgrade the network infrastructure is well known.

For me personally I will see how the new restrictions affect me and should it be detrimental my 400GB a month will be downloaded via another ISP.

Look for me in a few months time when I'm complaining about sky :D

Last edited:
you pay for Premium you should get the Premium, superfast Broadband does not mean capped to 60gb when your paying 100gb Prices.

they also need to remove Bolt from the Advertisements :laugh:

namuk said:
you pay for Premium you should get the Premium, superfast Broadband does not mean capped to 60gb when your paying 100gb Prices.

they also need to remove Bolt from the Advertisements :laugh:

You've got to pay babestation prices if you want it 24/7 :laugh:

You've got to pay babestation prices if you want it 24/7 :laugh:

lol

thing is mate what about the people watching Hd films that's around 5Gb an hour are they going tobe capped ?

the old download limits hardly effected me but this new Brain dead idea will most of the time,as last time i got capped was when i installed a few games from steam even the BF3 DLC's sent me over the limit.

namuk said:
lol

thing is mate what about the people watching Hd films that's around 5Gb an hour are they going tobe capped ?

the old download limits hardly effected me but this new Brain dead idea will most of the time,as last time i got capped was when i installed a few games from steam even the BF3 DLC's sent me over the limit.

That's a good point, anything saturating the bandwidth should be counted IMO.

Virgin for me has started to become more of a pain in the rump, I get spikes of 500ms + on BF3 which results in unplayable matches and getting kicked losing my medals!

Digital distribution such as steam and new games will mean your always being spanked by the STM.

That's a good point, anything saturating the bandwidth should be counted IMO.

Virgin for me has started to become more of a pain in the rump, I get spikes of 500ms + on BF3 which results in unplayable matches and getting kicked losing my medals!

Digital distribution such as steam and new games will mean your always being spanked by the STM.

Virgin are becoming tight, at least you get a good chance of meeting a Virgin everynight :( i would like that :laugh:

Bf3 is random for me on lag and spikes, i put that down to there servers even updates ect not Vm imop

i would jump to BT Infinity but that's not in my area :( as if you want
Digital downloads with VM your :censored: as your system will be on longer due to capped downloads, i may start charging VM for the extra juice i use due to this.

they have cancelled out Super and fast as this is the whole point.

Not round Manchester you haven't :laugh:

I thought it was the server on BF3 too but the guys server I play on are a helpful bunch and it's only me spiking, I had a round with just the player list up and my ping went to 838ms at one point! This has only been happening in the last couple of week, royal pain.

BT Infinity are in my area but quickly speaking to Sky about their Fibre Pro they wanted £30 for upto 40Mbit, I won't be paying that.

Being downgraded to 60Mbit due to STM is essentially the speed I will see most of the time, going to speak to Virgin and see what they say as regards to lowering the cost of the package or i'll just cancel.

So a unlimited service that is severely crippled by there ever changing traffic management.

This one is confusing as hell, whoever come up with this idea needs to be shot

No issues with the download side but upload side is very very tight, if icould get fttc service I'd just ship if I got 60mb plus.

In roughly six weeks I'll be moving to a new area and moving in with my parents for a little while until I get sorted, which will involve moving from my current BT line (20Mb/s down 1Mb/s up all day every day) to a VM 30Mb/s down 2Mb/s up connection, and honestly I can't say I'm looking forward to it :thumbsdow

I'm a pretty heavy user, around 250GB per month, this afternoon I downloaded a patch for planetside 2 (1800MB) and have just finished downloading a game which is 7GB, both from steam, all at 20Mb/s. If I then wanted to stream a 1080p film tonight, or watch some 1080p youtube (which I do a lot of), no problemo.

Last time I was on VM (2 years ago) it was terrible, not only for the traffic management, but also for gaming it was bad.

Yay for VM. :rotfl::facepalm:

Luckily the area I'm moving to has pretty good FTTC coverage so I'll be moving to that as soon as I get my own place sorted. We do have FTTC here too but I'm on an EO line so can't get it :(

For my parents place they could get infinity with 55Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up, they're about 3/4 of a mile away from the exchange as the crow flies.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom