Virgin Media Tickles - Broadband Speed doubling for selected customers

VL.VoOdoO

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like some lucky customers will get emails soon announcing that their broadband speed will be updated in 2012 to double their current service for free! Some have already had the email, and no idea on what the criteria are VM use for selecting those people, but fingers crossed ... :laugh:

Does that mean I will be getting 200Mbit/sec? (I wish!) :laugh:

They did the same thing last year, upgraded all the 2Mbit uses to 10Mbit or something like that.

More info here. Seems that a good candidate for a "tickle" is someone who has recommended Virgin to other friends and family.

Might look like Virgin are doing something nice but don't bet on it. They're currently trying to migrate as many people as possible off the old but stable 20MB legacy network to free it up for Tivo.

Orange had a similar promo a few months back with Orange Surprises where they gave out cookies and chocolate.

Does that mean I will be getting 200Mbit/sec? (I wish!) :laugh:

Scuttlebut says they'll have 200mbit available in time for the olympics, but ...
Some folks have had emails about getting a double of broadband speed, although looks like a long lead time until the upgrade actually takes place. There is a big thread over at the cableforum about it. Anyone here got an email?

I received mail today with a big poster inside saying i'd be getting this in 2012

Last edited:
I spoke to their retentions department the other day. (long story) told that the only package to be increased will be the 10mbit upto 20. the old 20 went to 30 a while back and they are still charging massive amounts for the 50 & 100. Apparently the reason the 10 has been held on is due to the number of customers on that package. due within the next 6-8 months

I spoke to their retentions department the other day. (long story) told that the only package to be increased will be the 10mbit upto 20. the old 20 went to 30 a while back and they are still charging massive amounts for the 50 & 100. Apparently the reason the 10 has been held on is due to the number of customers on that package. due within the next 6-8 months

This makes sense, all the ADSL providers now advertise "up to 20MB" so Virgin need their entry broadband package to start at 20MB too. Most probably, this will be accompanied by a small price increase similar to when 2MB custies were bumped up to 10MB a few years back.

I got the tickle email too. Currently on 50mb, I assume that means I will have to move to the superhub contraption?!

Yay....... :confused:

Maybe they can double my shockingly bad 0.8Mb evening speeds to a slightly less awful 1.6Mb. This would be a bit closer to the 10Mb I'm paying for and I might just about be able to stream a video.

If they concentrated on providing a good broadband service for the majority of their customers instead of trying to constantly be ahead of BT's fastest broadband package then maybe I would stick with them when my contract is up. Reading their websites forum makes me really regret ever signing up with them. Faults that have been there for month's with no sign of being repaired. Switched to them because Sky's copper network broadband was slow but Virgin's cable and fibre network is shocking at peak times.

Apologies if I went off topic but I'm not impressed with them at all.

Speeds aren't virgins problems. Quality of service ie pings , huge jitter rates and packet loss is

I got the tickle email too. Currently on 50mb, I assume that means I will have to move to the superhub contraption?!

Yay....... :confused:

i thought you needed the superhub to get the 50mb? if you have 50mb you shouldn't need new hardware

i don't suppose you could cut and paste the text of the email could you?

Nope i got the d-link router and separate modem, and its working just dandy. Hence my reluctance to change.

Il post it up later.

OK heres C&P of the email text:

"Great news. You're among a few thousand of our customers we've handpicked to double your broadband speed. And best of all, it won't cost you a penny more. It's a nice extra we're doing to say thanks for being with us. We call these nice extras Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like - our customers. They're things to make you smile.
Do all the things you love online, twice as fast

Virgin Media already offers the fastest broadband in the UK. And our commitment to leading the way in broadband download speeds has been proven by Ofcom for three years in a row. But just imagine doing all the things you love doing online twice as fast - like sharing photos or downloading the latest blockbusters and tunes. And, you could say bye-bye to buffering too with super streaming of HD movies.

Your upgrade kicks off in 2012

Your upgrade will take place next year, and will happen by area. But you don’t need to do a thing, we’ll keep you updated and will be in touch when your upgrade is ready. In the meantime, get an idea of when your broadband speed will be doubled."

Hope that helps unique

:thumbsup:

I have read that the dlink is up to the job, hopefully i won't need a house call and new kit.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what they say......

Sorry for going off topic but can I buy a Router with built in Modem (like the Superhub that I currently have) but with 8 ports instead of the standard 4?

I know I can just add an 8 port switch but the WiFi is terrible on the Superhub and there are so many complaints on the Virgin Support Forums.

Interesting I never got the email so looks like Virgin dont want to tickle me. I'm currently on 30 meg and so far the speed and ping have been excellent.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom