Virgin Media O2 Super Hub 5 (SH5)

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, VMO2 have launched a Super Hub that doesn't use the flawed Intel Puma chipset, and is Wi-Fi 6 for those that need it. Sounds good on paper, but I haven't seen any confirmation of modem mode yet, which is how I use my SH2 with an ASUS AC86U.

The SH5 is currently being offered to existing customers on 50-200 Mb services. Might be time to upgrade our 200 service now the Super Hub needed to support beyond this speed doesn't have Intel Puma inside.

More details here:

Finally, VMO2 have launched a Super Hub that doesn't use the flawed Intel Puma chipset, and is Wi-Fi 6 for those that need it. Sounds good on paper, but I haven't seen any confirmation of modem mode yet, which is how I use my SH2 with an ASUS AC86U.

The SH5 is currently being offered to existing customers on 50-200 Mb services. Might be time to upgrade our 200 service now the Super Hub needed to support beyond this speed doesn't have Intel Puma inside.

More details here:

I wouldn't mind one, as on the SH3 on 350mb connection. Would be nice to get away from the puma bug. Like you though it would need to have a modem mode, especially if the router mode is crap like the older models.

I thought there would be. Would be a bold move by them to remove this feature without prior warning.

Just need to get offered one, hell I'd probably buy one just to be rid of the puma bug for gaming (plus my SH3 red light is on permanently which indicates over heating, its not but I won't know if it did).

do we have any more info on this? says will be a free upgrade to all existing customers? from what i have read. it will be piloted as of now for 6 months to iron out any issues. then a bigger rollout in 2022

do we have any more info on this? says will be a free upgrade to all existing customers? from what i have read. it will be piloted as of now for 6 months to iron out any issues. then a bigger rollout in 2022
That is what it says, I happen to call last week about upgrading to 1Gb. Currently have a SH3 and they said they would ship me SH4. I asked about SH5 and the sales person didn't seem to know anything about it.

That is what it says, I happen to call last week about upgrading to 1Gb. Currently have a SH3 and they said they would ship me SH4. I asked about SH5 and the sales person didn't seem to know anything about it.
its ridiculous isn't it...i rang today and she said i assure you sir there is no HUB 5..i said i assure you madam there is a hub 5 its on the news....she went away, then had to apologise. but couldn't offer anymore information.

Last edited:
According to the information currently out there, the SH5 is being offered to existing broadband customers on 50-200 Mb services first. Seems to be via email invite at the moment.

The SH5 is in people's hands that were invited to try it. Apparently, the GUI is like the SH3 and SH4, which I've never used, and doesn't have its own unique one.

We've got a SH2 and been on the 200 service for years, but weren't invited to get the SH5.

We never got one and have never been on their high speed services. Apparently, it's a unique invite link, so doesn't work when shared.

Saw some posts on the virgin forum, which linked to a few broadband quality monitor graphs for some who had the SH5, didn't look to hot. Have to wait till more are in the wild to see how they behave. I know my BQM graphs look shockingly bad especially from 4pm to 8pm on some days.

So long as your Super Hub power levels are in spec, the quality of the connection thereafter is out of your control and if the SH is in spec, it's usually VM over subscribing in an area that causes latency issues in the BQM, particularly when you see it during peak times. This happens on all their Super Hubs, as this is on VM's side. Getting your own decent third-party router may mitigate the effects slightly, but there's nothing you can do about over subscription latency. It needs VM to increase capacity for that area, which isn't a quick fix.

The main thing with the SH5 is you no longer have the Puma chipset issues on top of over subscription issues.

More details here:

Hi. I've just installed my hub 5 and confirm is does have modem mode.
Things I learned from the installation...
1) the neon for modem mode is solid Green. Flashing green indicates a software update. Don't sit around like a lemon waiting for the ficticious software update to complete. 🙄
2) My router is Asus RT-AC87U. You need to update the firmware before uninstalling your old hub. The reason for this is to change the DHCP setting from Uninterrupted to Continuous otherwise it will not connect. Continuous mode is not an option on the old firmware.
These last two points are probably teaching to suck eggs but...
3) remember to check that your own router is still set to router only (not access point).
4) Once all done, switch off both then boot the hub, wait for it to finish booting then boot up your own router.
5) finally, don't forget to connect your router to the new hub. 🙄👀🤣 I used port 1. Port 4 is a 2.5ghtz connector. Not sure I'll ever need this.
My connection before was 350mbps (sometimes getting 375). Now it's 383. 😎👍
Rather than Mesh, I'm also using a Ubiquity Access point and also an Extender to cover the entire house and garden.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
1) the neon for modem mode is solid Green. Flashing green indicates a software update. Don't sit around like a lemon waiting for the ficticious software update to complete. 🙄
2) My router is Asus RT-AC87U. You need to update the firmware before uninstalling your old hub. The reason for this is to change the DHCP setting from Uninterrupted to Continuous otherwise it will not connect. Continuous mode is not an option on the old firmware.
3) remember to check that your own router is still set to router only (not access point).
4) Once all done, switch off both then boot the hub, wait for it to finish booting then boot up your own router.
5) finally, don't forget to connect your router to the new hub. 🙄👀🤣 I used port 1. Port 4 is a 2.5ghtz connector. Not sure I'll ever need this.
Rather than Mesh, I'm also using a Ubiquity Access point and also an Extender to cover the entire house and garden.
Hope this helps.

port 4 is handy if you have a router which as has 2.5Gbps port on it as a 1 Gbps port will only get you 950Mbps throughput so if you want true 1Gbps (or future speeds of double that) buy a router like this one and connect the 2.5Gbps port on it to the SH5 2.5Gbps port after putting the SH5 in modem mode:

I renewed my contract just before XMAS and went to 1Gb from M600 and was sent a Hub4, so far so good. Don't use the wifi as I have a Unifi AC Lite

Hope this helps.
Which city / county are you in? I was told it is limited trial in a certain region.

We moved recently and took our existing services and hardware with us, but unfortunately we couldn't keep our Super Hub 2 for our 200 Mbps service (I've been avoiding the SH3 and SH4 for their Intel Puma issue), due to us having a phone line as part of the package and they no longer fit a phone socket and the phone service is provided via the SH, so we had to have a SH3, as this setup isn't supported by the SH2. The kicker is, the guy that came was great and if he had a SH5 on his van he would have installed this instead.

We never got the invite to replace the SH2 on the 200 service and now we've got a SH3, I doubt we'll be offered one anytime soon. He did speak to his manager and added us to a call back list for the SH5, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I was told that they started rolling out SH5 in some bigger cities. Has anyone been offered SH yet via invite email in January/February this year.
I just want a combo of 1GB and SH5 to be in place.

I read the reason 1 Gig customers are not being offered the SH5 yet is because of some issues they're still working on with using their Wi-Fi pods with it, as they supply these free to 1 Gig customers, so they can't give out the SH5 en masse and then get lots of complaints from Wi-Fi pod users.

I also read they were having issues with providing landline via the SH5, which is how they now deliver landline connections, so this probably explains why certain old hub and SH3 users were targeted first for the SH5 trial (I guess landline socket customers).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom