• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Virgin media installation next monday - help needed please!

tamman77

Standard Member
Hi folks,

First off i would like to say i have tried the search function and read lots of threads, i now find myself completely confused after a couple of hours reading!!

My problem, after years of torment from BT i have jumped ship to Virgin who are turning up next monday to fit, my choice was made on local internet speeds and Virgin came top. Broadband sorted :) However im new to all this cable / sky business so i thought i get me a big LCD (LG no limit on any connections) because i might start wachting some now i have more choice. Big mistake and i admit to a lack of research.

My goal is wireless broad band and virgin TV in two rooms, leagaly, none of the horror storys i have read elsewhere!

Please could someone tell me / link to products for the following?

Appropriate wireless Router - 4 pc's and 1xWiFi external hard drive - full network capibilities, fast as possible, reliable and all singing (with the easyiest set up lol) ?

What do i need to watch differant programmes in each room? Is this a case of paying the extra £5 a month and a job for the installers?

If i have the information to ensure i can get this operational and know what to ask of the installers there's so much info on here i can spend weeks decphering the other issues i have!!!

My apologies if this post is in the wrong place / and a bunch of newb questions, any help gratefully recieved :)

Dean

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Hi Welcome to AVForums hope we can help you but.......

Firstly please tell us what VM package you have bought? This will tell us the what VM kit will probably be installed and enable us to advise for your specific circumstances.

tamman77

Standard Member
Many thanks for the reply :) will be gratefull for all help recieved! Should of thought of that! have signed up for :-

TV size M+
Phone size L
Broad band size L

Apparently im getting a v set top box and a cable modem with that, this means i've got it wrong and don't get the HD service and the recording pause etc of TV on a hard drive thing doesn't it? Doh, what do i need to do to have wireless, with fully working HD in 2 rooms, as in watching 2 differant programes etc?

Thanks,

Dean

tamman77

Standard Member
Thanks, is that something i have to pay a fee for for the box and more each month or do you get that free with the next package up in which case am i better off upgrading now?! How does that fit with the two room thing? Do i need two of them?!

Maybe i done the wrong thing starting all this lol!

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
V+ will only work in 1 rom unfortuantely :(

i think it's £75 upfront on all packs plus £5 a month on the M and L packs, it's free on XL plus on xl you get all the on demand stuff included too which is sweet.

i think they do alright offers for existing customers if you ring and ask for a change to V+ and say you want to keep the normal V box in another room, you wont get HD in the second room at the moment though without shelling out another £150 for a V+ box. The joy is when they upgrade its a straight swap as all their boxes have a single cable in the back whereas sky would need to run another cable to upgrade to their + box

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
V+ will only work in 1 rom unfortuantely :(

i think it's £75 upfront on all packs plus £5 a month on the M and L packs, it's free on XL plus on xl you get all the on demand stuff included too which is sweet.

i think they do alright offers for existing customers if you ring and ask for a change to V+ and say you want to keep the normal V box in another room, you wont get HD in the second room at the moment though without shelling out another £150 for a V+ box. The joy is when they upgrade its a straight swap as all their boxes have a single cable in the back whereas sky would need to run another cable to upgrade to their + box

Not entirely correct. OK the costs for installation of a second V+ are variable but are defo not £150. Last time I enquired ( months ago ) it was £35 for install and £5 extra pcm - but I am on VIP already.... and already have a second V box.....?

also there are various ways to distribute the programme tuned on the V+ to other rooms (but not HD)

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Not entirely correct. OK the costs for installation of a second V+ are variable but are defo not £150. Last time I enquired ( months ago ) it was £35 for install and £5 extra pcm - but I am on VIP already.... and already have a second V box.....?
on their website this is in the T&C's

Offer price of £75 only applies to first new V+HD box set-up. Second and subsequent V+HD box set-up charged at £150 per V+HD box. V+ subscription is included with TV size XL or £5 a month with TV size M, TV size M+ (Starter) and TV size L.

Could they have misunderstood you and qouted you for a normal box when you asked?

You can get signals around the house but it isn't as simple as using the second RF out like sky use

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
on their website this is in the T&C's

Could they have misunderstood you and qouted you for a normal box when you asked?

You can get signals around the house but it isn't as simple as using the second RF out like sky use

No, I have a second ordinary box already - perhaps this is because it would have been a straight swap for this second box which is already "installed"?? Must confess also it is some months ago when I asked.

No its not as simple as with Sky but all you need is an RF modulator, or an old VCR or a Video sender

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom