Virgin media first time install

buster85

Standard Member
Hi everyone. I will be getting virgin bb very soon and was wondering about the install. Can somebody tell me how long it takes and exactly what the install entails? I live on the top floor of a flat. Thanks.

oneman

Do you have a virgin cable point already in the flat ? Should be a co-ax connector, either a screw in one or on a short lead, maybe be branded as Telewest, NTL, Blueyonder, Virgin Media or maybe no branding at all.

If you do then that Superhub will need to be connected to that plus a power point. You might want the Superhub centra to the flat for better coverage and maybe within reach of the TV area if you want to connect those with Ethernet cable. The installer should be able to run a cable for that.

buster85

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply. I don't have a virgin cable point so im guessing they will need to do some drilling. However they do say that it will only take a day to complete. I was on the website and want broadband only, no phone or tv. Problem was that when i entered my postcode they were only offering bundle deals. When i clicked other options it came up with an error message and asked me to ring their number. Surely broadband on it's own is an option?

sep8001

I believe they do offer BB on it own, with regards to phone they do not run a separate line, as they are now VOIP and the phone is connected at the router.

With regards to the install, have they already given you an install date or is this something you are looking at getting?

If you have an install date and other flats have VM install will take a short time depending on how they need to run the cable.

But if none of the flats have VM they may have to get VM to a point outside the flat from where they run the cable into the flat. The first part is done by another company, they normally do this a day before the install.

oneman

Broadband is available on its own though it might be cheaper to get it with a phone line which you can pay up front for to save more money.

Best thing is to call them, you might be able to knock off a few pounds.

sep8001

Broadband is available on its own though it might be cheaper to get it with a phone line which you can pay up front for to save more money.

Best thing is to call them, you might be able to knock off a few pounds.
They no longer have the option to pay line rental up front for new customers.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom