• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Virgin media Cable splitting

haseeb112

Standard Member
hi there i just want to know if:

a) is it legal for me to attach a splitter to my current broadband coax so i can use it in another room?
b) what will happen to my broadband speeds? (for ex. (currently have 10mb) if i am using the internet on my pc in room 1 at full 1mpbs, what will the speed be in the other room if i attach a splitter? will i also recieve full 1mpbs)

sorry i might sound a little dum

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Easiest way is to just use a cable router.

Using 2 comps will just split the load eg, if comp 1 is using say 7 Mb, the other will use 3Mb or whatever, up to the 10Mb.

dante01

Distinguished Member
While there is nothing stopping you from splitting the cable feed and you don't break either tha law or your VM contract by doing so, there is no point in splitting it if you want internet access from more than one point. The split feed would need an additional VM modem and another account for each and every spur.

You need to split your connection after the modem via a router. The router can be either wired or wireless and you'd then connect the router to the various PCs and access points around your home. Your overall speed is shared between all the PCs and devices you have on your home network.

You need a router and not a cable feed splitter.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom