Virgin Media BB options

kokolino23

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm with sky at the moment but thinking to switch to Virgin.
I don't need a phone line and looking on their website I can only see deals including that.
There is any way how can I get BB only as I can't see the point paying extra £14.99 for a phone line I will never use ?! BTW, I'm in an area where fiber is available.

I have BB only from Virgin. If you can't see any options for that on the web site just give them a call and tell them what you want.

It does look that way, I'll give them a buzz to see what they say...

Did you get sorted. You can build your own bundle and not select phone (or deselect it) on the website.

Often though it works out cheaper to have the phone due to the discount. After 12 months or 18 months you can then cancel. Also look out for cashback deals which can save you a lot.

No, I didn't as I was very very busy at work and got back home quite late. I'll have a look again on the website.

Yes, I can have the BB only for a 12 months deal. However, now I struggle to make a decision if should I move from sky or not ?! I've read some reviews about VM and the speed is not as advertised. I need to do more research on this.

Also, the installation fee of £50 puts me off at the moment.

Yes, I can have the BB only for a 12 months deal. However, now I struggle to make a decision if should I move from sky or not ?! I've read some reviews about VM and the speed is not as advertised. I need to do more research on this.

Also, the installation fee of £50 puts me off at the moment.

Do you have Sky TV as well? Sky may well give you an offer to stay with them especially if you upgrade to Sky Fibre which will be more comparable with Virgin Broadband.

I have Sky TV\Phone and VM BB but am probably not getting the best deal. Previously I have had Sky Unlimited (and BT Infinity through work) at my house and I liked them.

There are caps at certain times of the day on VM depending on how much downloading you are doing but I haven't noticed the impact

As for VM speeds, speedtest consistently gets 125megabits (which I suspect is prioritised) occasional buffers on iPlayer though strangely. It can depend on how many customers in the area. On the whole though I am happy with the service. In reality probably don't need 125MB service at mo.

Many thanks for your answer. I was going to choose 30MB and that should be enough for me at the moment. I've got the option sky unlimited, which is not fiber so I'd guess VM would be a better choice. I don't need a phone line or TV package.

Many thanks for your answer. I was going to choose 30MB and that should be enough for me at the moment. I've got the option sky unlimited, which is not fiber so I'd guess VM would be a better choice. I don't need a phone line or TV package.

It would presumably work a bit cheaper, but just check to see if you would be affected their traffic management policy

30Mb or higher

Very interesting indeed! I've never knew about traffic management !!! Many thanks.

For what it's worth I've not noticed the traffic management, and have consistently tested a solid 30Mb down 3Mb up - never any slower, so the speed is definitely as advertised. In fact, you take much more of a risk with ADSL as only magical wizards know what speed you're guaranteed!

For what it's worth I've not noticed the traffic management, and have consistently tested a solid 30Mb down 3Mb up - never any slower, so the speed is definitely as advertised. In fact, you take much more of a risk with ADSL as only magical wizards know what speed you're guaranteed!

I've spoken to 2 of my colleagues and both of them are happy with VM as well. They've got more than 30MB as I'd like to get but doesn't matter too much as I'm happy with this speed.

The only thing which puts me off at the moment is the installation fee as this is £50, even though is a £20 online discount. Apparently is a referral policy at VM and if someone signs up, you get £50 off on your next bill. If that's true, I can speak to a friend and go this route. If he gets £50 off, then he can give me £30 and he's left with £20 in his pocket.

To be fair I haven't noticed it either.

I've spoken to 2 of my colleagues and both of them are happy with VM as well. They've got more than 30MB as I'd like to get but doesn't matter too much as I'm happy with this speed.

The only thing which puts me off at the moment is the installation fee as this is £50, even though is a £20 online discount. Apparently is a referral policy at VM and if someone signs up, you get £50 off on your next bill. If that's true, I can speak to a friend and go this route. If he gets £50 off, then he can give me £30 and he's left with £20 in his pocket.

Yep sounds good, sometimes if you ring up they can wave some of the fees. Last time I went through the online registration to the point where you enter your details and start to book a slot but didn't complete. They rang me back to ask why I didn't and offered a slightly better deal :)

Now if they could only fix my intermittent drop out since I got upgraded to 125MB I would be happy.

Finally done! No installation fee and 17.50 for the first 6 months (instead of 3 as they've got on the website). I went to a virgin media shop and haggled there until I had a good offer. Can't wait for the service now.

Finally done! No installation fee and 17.50 for the first 6 months (instead of 3 as they've got on the website). I went to a virgin media shop and haggled there until I had a good offer. Can't wait for the service now.

Good stuff, also because it is not over your phone line you don't need to stop your Sky BB until you are happy it is all working correctly.

I must say that I'm very pleased with the service even though I know face another problem: my SIP phone is not working anymore ?! From what I've heard, is a problem with the latest VM router so the only option would be to use it as a cable modem and have another router connected to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom