Virgin Media are getting worse not better.

colinb07958

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is it me or are Virgin Media getting worse instead of better. Here is a list of problems so far and I know its not all Virgin Media's fault, however they should be doing something about it for their customers.

1. Sky One has been lost.
2. On Demand service fairly poor choice of old programmes and not being updated.
3. Constant problems with the V+ box, not sure about anyone else but my box seems very slow to react to the remote and this is my second box as the 1st one broke.
4. There is now a "press the red button" function on the Sky Movie channel which does not seem to work much of the time and the box needs to keep on being reset, also can not pause the movie which is the whole point of V+.
5. Discounts being promised to customers and then the bills coming through as twice the amount they are supposed to be.

Overall I am getting sick and tired of Virgin Media and their service. I honestly thought it was going to be amazing now that Branson has put some cash in, boy was I wrong.

Just wondering what you guys and girls thought.

And that's no different from Mad Murdock!

Do you really miss it? Would you be prepared to pay the extra that sky wanted, just for sky1? I'm glad it went, it spurred me on to grab it on hd from the 'net (via my reliable 4mb virgin download)

2. On Demand service fairly poor choice of old programmes and not being updated.
It's free

3. Constant problems with the V+ box, not sure about anyone else but my box seems very slow to react to the remote and this is my second box as the 1st one broke.
They're perhaps not the most responsive, but worth it for 3 tuners and a free hd decoder imho.

4. There is now a "press the red button" function on the Sky Movie channel which does not seem to work much of the time and the box needs to keep on being reset, also can not pause the movie which is the whole point of V+.
I don't have any movies, but can't help thinking this would be a sky stipulation, not virgin, knowing what sky are like.

5. Discounts being promised to customers and then the bills coming through as twice the amount they are supposed to be.
I have to be honest here, mine last bill came through £10 less than I'd been promised on the 'phone

Overall I am getting sick and tired of Virgin Media and their service. I honestly thought it was going to be amazing now that Branson has put some cash in, boy was I wrong.
seems to me there's some teething troubles, but nothing that sky wouldn't dish out as well; sure, lack of sd is a pain but considering most sky hd is upscaled sd I'm okay with that. Also, considering that quality of signal is damn fine, makes me a happy VM customer

:)

Do you really miss it? Would you be prepared to pay the extra that sky wanted, just for sky1? I'm glad it went, it spurred me on to grab it on hd from the 'net (via my reliable 4mb virgin download)

It's free

They're perhaps not the most responsive, but worth it for 3 tuners and a free hd decoder imho.

I don't have any movies, but can't help thinking this would be a sky stipulation, not virgin, knowing what sky are like.

I have to be honest here, mine last bill came through £10 less than I'd been promised on the 'phone

seems to me there's some teething troubles, but nothing that sky wouldn't dish out as well; sure, lack of sd is a pain but considering most sky hd is upscaled sd I'm okay with that. Also, considering that quality of signal is damn fine, makes me a happy VM customer

The HBO addition is excellent. I have been watching the 'From the Earth to the Moon' series. Brilliant series and brilliant pictures. Who needs Lost.

I'm finding the picture quality almost HD.

To be honest the V+ box has been a pain in the neck in the 5 months I have had it.
I seem to have had just about every problem going from Freezing menu's(Virgin said they were not aware of a problem) a lie.
Frame drop outs.
Sound problems.
And now an obvious drop in quality of picture on Sky Sports and some movie channels.

I have to re-boot my set on a daily basis yet Virgin deny they have any problems.

It's a shame because overall the picture quality is great on most channels, I just wish they were more honest when you actually speak to them.

Frankly I don't care about the lost Sky channels, I actually think they did the right thing in telling sky to go ans take a hike.

Since we dont have to buy our V+ boxes - unlike Sky's HD box, what's the problem, just get them to swap it. I'm on my 4th one

Yes they can be slow, but that's the three tuners, always playing catch up

Who needs Sky one, not missed it yet

It's free

People keep saying this like it's an actual, acceptable excuse! Let's be clear on this once and for all, folks; Just because it's free does NOT mean it has to be crap, ESPECIALLY when it has been billed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Since we dont have to buy our V+ boxes - unlike Sky's HD box, what's the problem, just get them to swap it. I'm on my 4th one

To be honest I think the fact we don't have to buy the box is a cop out. I pay a lot of money every month and think for that I should get a decent service.
It's ok saying just swop it but that involves me taking time off work and lost money(i'm self employed) they won't compensate me for that.

The fact you're on your forth box tells it's own story, they are asking us to pay for a faulty product which has never been right from day one, even the engineer admitted this when fitting my box but it's denied by Virgin.

I would just appreciate a bit more honesty from them including not been told there will be more HD channels up and running at a certain time only to still be waiting.

the v+ box is the main reason why im considering leaving virgin for sky, yes its free but its a pain in the ass, if sprouts were free i wouldnt eat them and claim they were nice!!!1

the v+ box is a joke, it freezes all the time, if i watch something on demand and try fwd or rwd it then play it, it just freezes!!!

sky movies dont work properly, sky sports picture is ****, so lets be true to ourselves and not virgin fanboys, there television service is awfull.

i have to agree the broadband and telepphone services are second to none, but the tv service is dreadful!!1

Its not really that easy as someone needs to be in when the engineer comes, which means a day off work. Its not really acceptable to have so many boxes. I would rather Virgin say that they were going to update the boxes etc and rectify the problems, if they did this then I would pay a small fee for the box.

I have had sky and they were awful customer services. I did not really have as many faults with the sky service though.

Ah, so it wasn't my imagination then?
I was watching the cricket yesterday and actually mentioned to the missus, how poor the picture was.
I suspect this is down to sky :mad:
Seems like the gloves are off now.

As for Sky One, well, yes, I really miss it.
The Simpsons is one of the very few programmes we watch regularly.
VM were right to tell them to ram it though, IMO.

And as for the HD decoding, well I liken it to being given a car for free :smashin:
But no petrol to run it with :thumbsdow
In other words, it's a waste of time.

Oh, I totally agree about the on demand.
I really feel VM are missing the point.
They'd do better expanding the catch up TV to cover all the channels, IMO.

The HBO addition is excellent. I have been watching the 'From the Earth to the Moon' series. Brilliant series and brilliant pictures. Who needs Lost.

I'm finding the picture quality almost HD.

Er, is it just me then who only has about 5 shows listed in HBO on demand, and all of them only have 1 or 2 episodes showing?

That's pathetic if you ask me - the entire point of "On Demand" is that I get to watch it when I want, and not have to wait until Virgin put up the rest of the series...

It's even more frustrating with the "normal" Teleport stuff, where some shows are missing the end of the series, some ar emissing the start of a season and some start at season 3 or 4...

I'd be far happier with half the number of shows, but all of them full and complete...

Ah, so it wasn't my imagination then?
I was watching the cricket yesterday and actually mentioned to the missus, how poor the picture was.
I suspect this is down to sky :mad:
Seems like the gloves are off now.

As for Sky One, well, yes, I really miss it.
The Simpsons is one of the very few programmes we watch regularly.
VM were right to tell them to ram it though, IMO.

And as for the HD decoding, well I liken it to being given a car for free :smashin:
But no petrol to run it with :thumbsdow
In other words, it's a waste of time.

Oh, I totally agree about the on demand.
I really feel VM are missing the point.
They'd do better expanding the catch up TV to cover all the channels, IMO.

There is defiantly something going on with the Sky premium channels. Since they fell out with Virgin ,Sky sports one has gone from great to awful.

i think its about time that we all realised that virgin will NEVER have the ability to beat sky on the tv front, virgin should stick to broadband and telephone services(which are both excelent) and stop annoying their loyal customers by making false promises!!!!

on demand is buggy, and has a poor selection
no hd content
v+ box is crap, and software is buggy and always will be unless they pay good money for good hardware, like pace!!!
they will NEVER have channels to rival sky sports and sky movies
they will never get sky sports and sky movies in hd

i must be one of the few that quite like the service. The V+ box is good imho, the recording works great, the quality of the HD is very good, my box isnt buggy....so far, and i dont really miss sky one....and my bill seems correct.

are you sure you aint richard branson!!! coming on here to defend your rubbish tv service???;)

are you sure you aint richard branson!!! coming on here to defend your rubbish tv service???;)

Calling people fanboys and Richard Branson doesn't advance the debate at all, does it? Many people are happy with the V+ box. I dont know what proportion aren't but neither do you. My V+ was very buggy when I got it. Since then though VM have done several code drops and it now works fine. Even when it was buggy though, I never had the fault you mentioned with ondemand. Have you contacted the faults dept.?
Also have a look in Sky forums and you will find plenty of people moaning about faults and bugs.

Another Wierdo here :thumbsup:

All works fine my end so far,cant believe the quality of the upscaled signal
on my plasma, its SWEET!
Just got all the Planet earths in HD recorded too :)

Calling people fanboys and Richard Branson doesn't advance the debate at all, does it? Many people are happy with the V+ box. I dont know what proportion aren't but neither do you. My V+ was very buggy when I got it. Since then though VM have done several code drops and it now works fine. Even when it was buggy though, I never had the fault you mentioned with ondemand. Have you contacted the faults dept.?
Also have a look in Sky forums and you will find plenty of people moaning about faults and bugs.

In fairness, it was sent with a wink, so I'd suggest he's only joking :)
Again in fairness, I'd say it is a poor service since VM took over.
The TVDrive is a poor product, IMO.
There are many complaints about it on here, but the SA box in the US (which is at least a year older, but the same thing) doesn't seem to have the same problems, from what I've read

Again in fairness, I'd say it is a poor service since VM took over.
The TVDrive is a poor product, IMO.
from what I've read

Well all the bugs I had when I first got the tvdrive were mostly the same bugs that telewest customers had been complaining about for nearly a year. Within a couple of months VM has sorted them out. Now I have a box with great picture quality, three tuners and it works. What more do I need?
Add to that the box cost me nothing and they installed it for free. Also they will service it for free for the life of the box. To my mind that is good value.

Well all the bugs I had when I first got the tvdrive were mostly the same bugs that telewest customers had been complaining about for nearly a year. Within a couple of months VM has sorted them out. Now I have a box with great picture quality, three tuners and it works. What more do I need?
Add to that the box cost me nothing and they installed it for free. Also they will service it for free for the life of the box. To my mind that is good value.

Please don't quote me when you've edited my quote :mad:
That's misrepresentation, at least, IMO :mad:

I'm glad it works for you :smashin:
It's a POS for a lot of users, myself included.

Please don't quote me when you've edited my quote :mad:
That's misrepresentation, at least, IMO :mad:

I'm glad it works for you :smashin:
It's a POS for a lot of users, myself included.

Apologies if I have offended you Badger0-0. My aim was only to take out the bit I wasn't replying to for the sake of brevity. Is that considered to be bad forum etiquette then? I really dont think I misrepresented you though did I?

Why is it a POS then Badger. What are the problems you are having with it?
My aim is only to put the other side of the coin because I believe most people are now happy with the V+. If there are still bugs then of course we should be complaining about them.

Apologies if I have offended you Badger0-0. My aim was only to take out the bit I wasn't replying to for the sake of brevity. Is that considered to be bad forum etiquette then? I really dont think I misrepresented you though did I?

Why is it a POS then Badger. What are the problems you are having with it?
My aim is only to put the other side of the coin because I believe most people are now happy with the V+. If there are still bugs then of course we should be complaining about them.

Maybe I was being slightly harsh, upon reflection.
But your quote made it appear that I've only read about it, as opposed to having used it for nearly a year.
Have another look :smashin:

Why is it a POS then Badger

Because it doesn't work as it should.

I get constant freezes when using the remote.
Have you honestly never hit a button, got no result, waited 30 seconds, hit other buttons, waited more time, then it all happens at rapid speed and you forgot where you were?

Have you not recorded a load of stuff on the HDD, then have it come up, all of a sudden as "recovered content" so you don't know what's what?

Just two immediate examples that spring to mind :(

If you haven't seen any problems, I'm happy for you :thumbsup:

Maybe I was being slightly harsh, upon reflection.
But your quote made it appear that I've only read about it, as opposed to having used it for nearly a year.
Have another look :smashin:

Why is it a POS then Badger

Because it doesn't work as it should.

I get constant freezes when using the remote.
Have you honestly never hit a button, got no result, waited 30 seconds, hit other buttons, waited more time, then it all happens at rapid speed and you forgot where you were?

Have you not recorded a load of stuff on the HDD, then have it come up, all of a sudden as "recovered content" so you don't know what's what?

Just two immediate examples that spring to mind :(

If you haven't seen any problems, I'm happy for you :thumbsup:

Sorry again Badger I will be more careful with my quoting in future. I really did do it for the sake of brevity, but I understand where you are coming from.

The unresponding button thing. I used to get that a lot. I dont think it's happened for three or four weeks now. I assumed they had cured that with a code drop.

Haven't had the recovered content one. I did have lost recordings within a month of getting the V+. Really annoying! That came to a head when they downloaded the VM epg etc. I ended up formatting the hard drive and I've never had a problem since. Again I assumed the failed recording one had been cured as I dont see people complaining about it now. Seems to me it was the old software that forced the format.

I've had other more minor problems like the time changing when watching VOD. That also seems to have gone.

Nor do I have to regularly reboot the box like I used to. It seems to me that athough there are more and more V+ owners there are less people complaining about bugs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom