• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Virgin Media 2Mb on PS3

Ed the Penguin

Prominent Member
Hi,

Due to cost saving and the reduced amount of downloading I do on the PC these days, I've downgraded my internet speed from 10Mb to 2Mb.

All I really use t'internet for is the PS3 and when I used to download updates/PSN, I felt that I wasn't getting the full 10Mb from the downloads (avg. about 1MB every 5-10 seconds).
Do you reckon the new 2Mb speed will do for gaming etc?

PS.. I'm aware of the whole 8Mb in a MB thing!

bubs999

Prominent Member
Hi,

Due to cost saving and the reduced amount of downloading I do on the PC these days, I've downgraded my internet speed from 10Mb to 2Mb.

All I really use t'internet for is the PS3 and when I used to download updates/PSN, I felt that I wasn't getting the full 10Mb from the downloads (avg. about 1MB every 5-10 seconds).
Do you reckon the new 2Mb speed will do for gaming etc?

PS.. I'm aware of the whole 8Mb in a MB thing!

Just for gaming 2Mb should be fine, just check what their upload speed is (virginmedia aren't that good for upload). You will notice a problem if you download too much, as you will hit their incredibly low STM (I think its 800MB for 2Mb connection) and you will then be down to 1Mb for 5 hours.

I'm on their 10Mb service and there isn't much difference from my old 512Kb connection from Sky (except for downloading)

bubs999

Prominent Member
I've got their 2MB service and it's fine for online gaming. I never get lag in Resistace 2, but I do get some in LBP.

I think thats just LBP, they were supposed to sort the lag out, but its still the same.

[email protected]

Prominent Member
i upgraded from 2mb to 10mb just before xmas, and never noticed any ps3 lag beforehand. only issue i did see was that when the kids were on the internet at the same .... not seen anything like that since the upgrade.

Workshed

Prominent Member
Your overall connection speed shouldn't affect your latency/lag at all so long as your connection is fast enough to handle the game traffic (you'd probably be fine with anything over 256kb to be honest). As [email protected] says, if you have other people/programs using the connection at the same time that will affect your latency/lag.

Ed the Penguin

Prominent Member
Should all be ok then! :thumbsup:
The only bit I'm worried about is the capping at 250MB in peak times!!

Thanks for the responses guys!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom