Virgin HD arriving Monday... what'll they do?

[email protected]

I have BB already. The cable runs under my house and feeds the modem through the back wall. I'd really like to get it moved, however - it's not in a good place any more.

Now I'm upgrading to phone/hdtv/bb. Could anyone who's had the work done tell me, what does the installation consist of? Will the bloke (I know, presuming it's a bloke) be drilling holes, moving the box to where the TV is? I need to know because I'm thinking of moving the TV anyhow and want to be sure the holes are drilled in the right place.

if I do move the TV I'll have to shift the surround sound, the tivo, the squeezebox relay... it's all a bit mind-boggling...

anyhow, advice and pointers appreciated.

dante01

Distinguished Member
They'll install the items wherever you want them, but be warned that the installer may use existing feed entry points and will probably want to surface mount cabling along your skirting boards. They tend to ake the easiest route from A to B rather than the most obscure, less visible route. More extensive installations should be arranged prior to the installation date and you should enquire whether additional charges will be incurred for any work not normally encompassed by the installation.

Blademan72

Standard Member
Had mine installed on wednesday, very helpful guys as like you will be moving tv's etc. We live in a flat only 1 storey and we are on the top floor, they bought the cable up the wall and into the loft space where they split the cable one wen to the bedroom and were able to use the existing arial socket and connected it int he loft so no drilling at all the other went into a cupboard that later will hold all the AV gear I already have a hole in the wall for the cables to go to the new TV when I get it so they have left me with enough cable so I can run it through the wall until I get the TV fitted on the wall. so when they turn up tell them what you would like and if they are as good as the installers that I had will be really helpful.

[email protected]

To answer my own question, they'll turn up when it's getting dark and be here to 8pm trying to get the phone to work and failing. They'll come back the next morning and tell you you have a new number. I didn't want a new number. I never got the welcome package that would have told me they weren't transferring the number I've had for 25 years but dumping it. Rang Virgin to be told that it would take 7 days to port the old number to the new line.

Ok, I thought, get BT to divert the old number to the new one - but get this, the guy from Virgin helpline wasn't allowed to tell me the new number I'd be getting. So I couldn't fix up a diversion.

So I asked the engineer to put it back the way it was before, and cancel the number tx to BT. He couldn't. No BT line, so I cant divert my old number or pick up voicemails from another number.

Called VIRGIN back to arrange the number transfer only to be told it could not happen until 30 October now. So caller will get voicemail for three weeks.

In the end I had to ring BT to come back and fix the Virgin engineer's cockup and restore the phone line, so the transfer process can start again, without me losing my number or people ringing me being diverted to voicemail for a month.

will shortly be trying to recover the £150 it will cost from Virgin. Fingers crossed.

Jaunty

Nightmare! V+ will be worth it in the long run though. Good luck on the refund.

dpadmore

Standard Member
Nightmare! V+ will be worth it in the long run though. Good luck on the refund.

In what way is Virgin phone really superior though? By all means take the tv and if you must the broadband (though O2 via ADSL+ are superior IMO) but for gods sake keep the BT line if you value your independance and sanity.

dante01

Distinguished Member
In what way is Virgin phone really superior though? By all means take the tv and if you must the broadband (though O2 via ADSL+ are superior IMO) but for gods sake keep the BT line if you value your independance and sanity.

Keep the BT line and you are no longer eligible for the discounts you get from VM for the package deals. You'll end up paying more for the BT line plus more for your VM services.

[email protected]

Ringing Virgin to sort out the line I got put on hold, forced to listen so some cruddy music, then got through to a rather brusque and unhelpful Scotsman. He was the one who said the number port could not happen until Oct 30. 'Are you joking?' I asked in disbelief. 'Do I sound like I'm joking?' he said. Or snapped, depending on how you want to interpret it.

When I rang BT to sort out the mess I got through very quickly to a very helpful, cheerful (English) woman who told me the engineer would be there the next morning.

I know who I'd rather call when when things go wrong, frankly.

The BT/Openreach engineer called at 8:30 and turned up five minutes later. He cheerfully went to work, used spare wires on the old connection connect a new master socket inside. So I now have two phone lines, one of which is my old BT number, the other the new Virgin one. So my old number is alive and working again, and I can arrange for the number transfer to be done properly with no interruption, although in the interval I am paying two rentals.

I have missed so much work this week I am gong to leave it for a bit before I call and arrange for Virgin to take over the number. Apart from anything else, it will give me a chance to consider whether I want to, after this. And then there's the question of whether and how Virgin will compensate me for the £125+VAT.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member

The phone package (XL++) I have is far better than anything BT offer and cheaper if I take TV and BB

As for O2/ADSL you must be joking:rolleyes:

Yes they are the best of a bad bunch but cannot deliver more than 2mbps round here (BT =1.2) whereas my VM cable BB is Ten times faster consistently.:D

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ringing Virgin to sort out the line I got put on hold, forced to listen so some cruddy music, then got through to a rather brusque and unhelpful Scotsman. He was the one who said the number port could not happen until Oct 30. 'Are you joking?' I asked in disbelief. 'Do I sound like I'm joking?' he said. Or snapped, depending on how you want to interpret it.

When I rang BT to sort out the mess I got through very quickly to a very helpful, cheerful (English) woman who told me the engineer would be there the next morning.

I know who I'd rather call when when things go wrong, frankly.

The BT/Openreach engineer called at 8:30 and turned up five minutes later. He cheerfully went to work, used spare wires on the old connection connect a new master socket inside. So I now have two phone lines, one of which is my old BT number, the other the new Virgin one. So my old number is alive and working again, and I can arrange for the number transfer to be done properly with no interruption, although in the interval I am paying two rentals.

I have missed so much work this week I am gong to leave it for a bit before I call and arrange for Virgin to take over the number. Apart from anything else, it will give me a chance to consider whether I want to, after this. And then there's the question of whether and how Virgin will compensate me for the £125+VAT.

Did the nice BT operative mention that it is BT that cause the delays to begin with? They are obliged by the consumer telecoms regulations to allow other operators to transfer numbers to their service or service. BT do oblige, but make it an over complicated procedure and appear to delay the ease of transition purposefully???

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
This sounds vaguely familiar !!

Originally has BB with NTL/VM and have had this since it was a 150kbs boy plus freesky and BT phone. Took the plunge to go totally VM and ordered XL phone + TV and L BB.

Installation for TV and BB whent OK other than they originally went to the wrong house (my old house) as they had not transfered the BB properly three years ago. TV was not checked as it was plugged into the wrong Scart with no sound, BB was set up but left me to set up wireless router (good job I know a bit about computers).

Now to the phone - initially install looked OK, same number, line worked but found all the other extensions in the house were dead. Came back the next day to fix but extension only had dial tone and no call/listen function. Then just after the transfer date, the phone went dead and people kept getting someone else answering my phone number. BT had transfered my phone as a temporary number to someone else ! This was sorted the next Monday without too much hassle other than having to use a mobile to call VM to register a fault.

Extensions still not working. Fourth visit and was told - not my problem by VM and he disconnected all extensions leaving just one phone outlet in hall. Interesting line that I could have taken was to calim damage to my property by the engineer as the extensions were workjing before they called but weren't when they left. By this time it is four weeks after initial installation and I'm getting tired of waiting for engineers.

So, bit the bullet, removes a couple of extension cover plates, noted the wire colours and connection numbers, took the VM outlet off the wall, connect the colours to the connection in the VM box and hey pressto all extensions now work and a crackle on the line has dissapeared as well, result. Given I have never opened a phone box in my life how come I solved the issue in ten minutes when a VM installer/fault fixer has not been able to in four call outs !!

As for welcome packs, I received mine three weeks after the installation date !

So, finally now happy with all services and I hope it stays that way for a while.

Sorry for the diatribe but thought I'd sympathise with the OP to let him know that they are not alone.

[email protected]

Did the nice BT operative mention that it is BT that cause the delays to begin with? They are obliged by the consumer telecoms regulations to allow other operators to transfer numbers to their service or service. BT do oblige, but make it an over complicated procedure and appear to delay the ease of transition purposefully???

Then why didn't the Virgin operative say that instead of biting my head off? Even when I asked him for an explanation?

Yeah, BT drag their feet on everything from number transfer to enabling exchanges for ADSL2, but the fact is, when things go wrong, IME, they answer the phone quickly and they are polite and helpful. They send out engineers promptly and the guys are good at their job.

After the hoops I'd been jumping through to fix Virgin's mistakes, that was a blessed relief. I'm sure Virgin's services are fine as long as nothing ever goes wrong...

zantarous

Distinguished Member
If they are charging £125 you would hope that they would pick up the phone quick and come out as soon as possible.

From the sounds of it did the original Virgin installer disconnect your BT line so it made it easier to connect the Virgin phone line? This should be a complete no no in my book, they should lay there own cables and leave anything originally there in tact.

I have had three installs from the cable company, analogue TV and phone line, Digital TV and then finally a second box and BB. All three went rather smoothly (well that is after I got a engineer that actually wanted to attempt to cable up my flat but that is another story).

When I went to the VIP pack in Dec the two installers I got couldn't have been more polite or helpful. Even to the point where they took there shoes of in doors without being asked.

janz70

ring retentions saying your sick of all this and your thinking of cancelling - you be amazed what suddenly can be done :smashin:

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
VM did struggle to port my BT number, it took them 3 or 4 weeks but the old number continued to work because BT weren't told to cancel it until the port went through.

VM also refunded me a month's worth of phone rental.

Also in terms of old extensions, because the VM phone line is completely separate to the BT line they will all stop working unless you specifically ask for them to be re-wired. I didn't bother, just bought a couple of wireless phones which allow more flexible use anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom