Virgin have just said that I'm uploading 900gb a month, can that be right?

Chorltonpotter

Hi peeps,

Just got off the phone from Virgin regarding a contract issue and they said no one else would touch me for broadband in the sense of my data usage.
They said our download is an average of 180gb a month.
But our upload is 900gb a month.

YouTube, online gaming and Netflix and general web nrowsing are in use a good amount of hours every day, so heavy use but no file sharing or streaming out to anyone.

Is that a normal amount for uploading?'a

psychopomp1

900gb each month does seem high for uploads, that would suggest someone in your household is uploading large files (eg videos?) rather than just average usage. But not sure why VM would have an issue with your data usage considering its supposed to be an unlimited usage service.

Chorltonpotter

No one is uploading any large files or videos.
At the most photos from mobile phones are being backed up.

They were just using it as a tactic to stop me complaining about adding 6 months on to my contract without telling me, which I have now sorted.

psychopomp1

Ah ok, seems like they might have been telling you porkies then.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It seems hard to believe a company would blatantly lie. Do you have any way of checking what you're actually using?

Either way I would want to get to the bottom of my usage or take it further if it's a lie. That sort of stuff annoys me greatly TBH.

They were just using it as a tactic to stop me complaining about adding 6 months on to my contract without telling me, which I have now sorted.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
That upload to download ratio seems way out of proportion for legit use.

I use Adaptive QoS on my router and it shows you the amount of data downloaded and uploaded for each traffic class and across them all, the upload is significantly lower than the download, e.g. Video and Audio Streaming is currently 9.12 GB down and 80.83 MB up.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
It could be an indicator something has a virus and/or something has caught spam bot. I used get them occasionally at a college I worked for and they'd be chucking out junk mail constantly. Even so those number sound huge and they might be spinning you a line. Ask them to produce a report of the statistics if they are adamant about it.

Maybe someone's cracked your Wi-Fi passphrase and is war driving you. Maybe it's worth changing your Wi-Fi passphrase just in case.

Even with "unlimited usage" tariffs, some service providers have a "fair usage" policy, you'd have to check the details of your contract to see if yours does.

psychopomp1

OP, might be a good idea to setup a TBB BQM - any heavy uploads will easily show up on the monitor:

mushii

Distinguished Member
My question is how would any other ISP know what your traffic history with VM is, if you wanted to move? I think I would be registering a complaint with both VM and Ofcom for potential breach of data privacy as it sounds more like a threat to me. I would also be formally asking for a copy of the recording of your conversation. Virgin would be in breach of GDPR to release your Traffic data to another ISP without your consent.

wormvortex

Do you have kids that might be uploading? 900GB a month isn’t just high it’s incredibly excessive and I can’t see how you would get anywhere near that high unless someone is a serious torrent uploader.

what you’ve described you used the internet for would never hit upload usages anywhere near 900GB.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
My question is how would any other ISP know what your traffic history with VM is, if you wanted to move? I think I would be registering a complaint with both VM and Ofcom for potential breach of data privacy as it sounds more like a threat to me. I would also be formally asking for a copy of the recording of your conversation. Virgin would be in breach of GDPR to release your Traffic data to another ISP without your consent.
It is not that, part of their script is when you threaten to leave they will look at your usage and say ooh you used 1TB of data for downloading this month. Competitor X won't be able to give you that as you are on our 350\500Mb service etc and you won't get the same level of service. A call centre agent might get a bit loose around the script but shouldn't do.

I got my usage report this month, which doesn't actually appear to work, when logging on to the VM site it doesn't actually give me a figure ...

The figures seem the wrong way round but even 180GB would be high. You got any backups to the cloud or anything?

mikeysthoughts

My business services account covering 65 sites doesn't approach anywhere near 900GB/month. Considering this includes OneDrive and conference call services, VM's claims that you hit 900GB/month is beyond excessive and into the realms of utter nonsense.

I've had some...interesting... conversations recently with the VM retentions team for my home services, and they appear to be making things up at the moment in a desperate attempt to retain custom (or their working from home during COVID means they have less oversight). Even to the point where they ignored my initial request to cancel, and set me up with an 18 month extension against my express instruction. Two more calls to the retentions team and a chat with a manager led to them admitting that the extension must have been a "system error" as they had received my termination instruction.

anticlaus105

...Even to the point where they ignored my initial request to cancel, and set me up with an 18 month extension against my express instruction. Two more calls to the retentions team and a chat with a manager led to them admitting that the extension must have been a "system error" as they had received my termination instruction.
:eek: I've got the retention dance to do soon. That doesn't sound very promising.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom