Virgin Gig1 - Some devices often only gettting 100mbps instead of 1000mbps

AlexC95

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, firstly I know this may have been discussed/solved before, but my situation is somewhat unique and I am completely out of ideas (bar one which I will be trying shortly). This may be a lengthy post but I'd appreciate if people wouldn't mind reading it all as I want to make sure I don't waste anyone's time with suggestions I've already tried. I'll also try my best to lay everything out clearly.

Issue
  • Virgin Superhub Gig1 will provide gigabit speeds to all ethernet devices connected to it, but not for any in my office, which only get 100 out of 1,000.
  • My office comprises of a PS5 and two high-end desktop PC's, both with gigabit ethernet ports - all connected via an unmanaged gigabit switch (but I have tried without a switch and often see no difference).
  • When I do get the devices to (somehow) get gigabit, they will revert after a couple of days or so without any obvious change to the setup anywhere on the network.

Additional Info
  • I have attached a screenshot of my router to show what I'm getting. Those highlighted in green are fine and outside the office. Those highlighted in red are affected and are all inside my office.
  • I have also created a very basic diagram of the ethernet setup I have, in case this helps.
  • Ethernet cable connected directly to the router is a Cat7
  • Ethernet cables connected to my devices from the switch are all Cat8
  • The Sky Mini box is connected via Wi-Fi to the Sky main box, but Virgin sees it as Ethernet with 1,000 mbps, not sure if this is a possible issue so going to test switching these both to Wi-Fi and see what effect this has.

Attempted Solutions / Issues ruled out
  • My office is still part of the house and I even have line of sight of the router. Wi-fi works considerably better (300 mbps~) compared to Ethernet
  • I have tried a brand-new Cat7 Ethernet cable (20m) for the connection directly to the router to each device, but still no joy.
  • Reset router to factory settings + opened ports/DMZ
  • Virgin initially put it down to "work in my area" followed by "check your hardware", and to be honest I do lean towards agreeing with them that it isn't their side, but it is a possibility still. There are no works in my area, especially not now as this issue has been going on for some time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, if I think of any more detail to add I shall edit my post accordingly.
Thanks all! :)

Attachments

• 7F04C32F-D142-49B7-A462-D1E05D83DDB9_1_201_a.jpeg
    7F04C32F-D142-49B7-A462-D1E05D83DDB9_1_201_a.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 182
if you have swapped ports on the router then I would tend to agree its not a VM issue,

What happens if take the cable out of the switch that goes to the router and you plug a device directly into it, thus bypassing the swirch

if you have swapped ports on the router then I would tend to agree its not a VM issue,

What happens if take the cable out of the switch that goes to the router and you plug a device directly into it, thus bypassing the swirch
Thanks for the response!

I’ve tried that and unfortunately the same issue occurs still.

However, my PC is now getting 1,000 but not the PS5, interestingly. So I’m going to try resetting it now, just waiting for a backup to finish first.

Not sure what resetting it will achieve as a simple power cycle should cause renegotiation of port speed.

The most likely cause of 1000 dropping to 100 is a wiring issue. If you are using premade cat 7 cables then they shouldn’t be at fault. (By the way wouldn’t bother it anything past cat 6a as more potential issues and costs then benefits)

Check the network port itself, the metal connectors are springy and can sometimes get damaged. You only need one to be faulty and the speed will drop to 100Mbps.

Port flapping can occur when there is an intermittent fault I.e semi loose connection that causes speed to change from 1000->100 and back again

After that I would be on to Virgin media to swap the hub. Work outside your home is not going to affect the internal network connection speeds. VM are following a script and may be confusing themselves with internet speed tests which will be dependent on external work

Not sure what resetting it will achieve as a simple power cycle should cause renegotiation of port speed.

The most likely cause of 1000 dropping to 100 is a wiring issue. If you are using premade cat 7 cables then they shouldn’t be at fault. (By the way wouldn’t bother it anything past cat 6a as more potential issues and costs then benefits)

Check the network port itself, the metal connectors are springy and can sometimes get damaged. You only need one to be faulty and the speed will drop to 100Mbps.

Port flapping can occur when there is an intermittent fault I.e semi loose connection that causes speed to change from 1000->100 and back again
Thanks for the response, I’ve tried both a multitude of cables (Cat6-Cat8) on different ports and also ensured connections aren’t loose. I connect to my PS5 and it’s slow, I connect to another we have in the house and it’s fine.

Thanks for the response, I’ve tried both a multitude of cables (Cat6-Cat8) on different ports and also ensured connections aren’t loose. I connect to my PS5 and it’s slow, I connect to another we have in the house and it’s fine.
How do you mean about the ps5? How do you connect to another

How do you mean about the ps5? How do you connect to another
As in my Dad’s PS5 connects fine on any cable and port, whilst mine does not.

It’s almost as if the router only wants to send 100mbps to some of my devices and I can’t work out how to stop it. Very odd. I’ll speak with Virgin and get a hub swap, failing that I haven’t a clue.

What happens when you plug your dads ps5 into the switch in the office?

In windows what do the two PC show as the link speed in the network properties?

If you are going via a switch then the speeds reported in the router for those downstream devices will only ever be at the speed of the link the switch and the router have.

Finally what model of switch is it and often the lights indicate the connection speed.

What happens when you plug your dads ps5 into the switch in the office?

In windows what do the two PC show as the link speed in the network properties?

If you are going via a switch then the speeds reported in the router for those downstream devices will only ever be at the speed of the link the switch and the router have.

Finally what model of switch is it and often the lights indicate the connection speed.
My Dad’s PS5 shows as 1 gigabit and get’s that speed.

The two PCs show 1000/1000 but barely ever get that, though one has randomly started working tonight when not using the switch (no joy with PS5 though).

I’ve decided to not use the switch for now as I no longer need it as much.

The model is a Netgear GS308 - Amazon product ASIN B07PWHGQSS
The lights do indicate if gigabit is being sent/received as the lights will stay solid green, which they do.

But, sadly, the issue persists whether I use it or not.

How are you using all the devices if you are not using the switch?

To clarify are the cables you use premade or have you made them?

What test are you using to determine that the speed is slow (other than what the router is reporting?)

Have you tried having the gs308 at the router ems and plugging everything into that then a single cable into the router?

Need to eliminate the internet from it so download a tool called iperf 3 on both pcs. Run one as a client and one as a server and they will tell you the proper speed. Try it in different combinations and you should find that between the PCs of everything if working as expected you should get 930Mbps (ish) . If it gets 90Mbps then something is dropping the speed. Try both plugged into the switch then one into switch and through router, then both through router and check to see what router is saying at same time

All very confusing, too much random information.

What does this even mean?

"Thanks for the response, I’ve tried both a multitude of cables (Cat6-Cat8) on different ports and also ensured connections aren’t loose. I connect to my PS5 and it’s slow, I connect to another we have in the house and it’s fine"

Follow @ChuckMountains instructions, say exactly what is plugged where, and exactly what happens when you do it.

Last edited:
Are you using powerline adapters anywhere or all Ethernet cables ?

Are you using powerline adapters anywhere or all Ethernet cables ?

I refrained from asking that question as they are my pet hate ... :)

Not mentioned so far but yes that's a very possible candidate but wouldn't normally alter the actual link speed up or down.

I refrained from asking that question as they are my pet hate ... :)

Not mentioned so far but yes that's a very possible candidate but wouldn't normally alter the actual link speed up or down.
I think they are everyone's pet hate to be fair.

All very confusing, too much random information.

What does this even mean?

"Thanks for the response, I’ve tried both a multitude of cables (Cat6-Cat8) on different ports and also ensured connections aren’t loose. I connect to my PS5 and it’s slow, I connect to another we have in the house and it’s fine"

Follow @ChuckMountains instructions, say exactly what is plugged where, and exactly what happens when you do it.
The start of my original post does state this might be a more unique issue than most.

And regarding following Chuck’s instructions, I have, and I have clearly stated what is plugged in where and what happens when I do it (the same cable will run 1gb on my Dad’s PS5, but only 100mb if I try it in mine). I’m not sure what’s confusing about that? :/

As for the powerline adapters: no, only using ethernet.

I’ll try the iperf3 idea later on and see what results I get. But to test the speed generally I’m using “samknows realspeed” as it tests the hub speed as well as to my device so is more accurate than speedtest.net etc. :)

(the same cable will run 1gb on my Dad’s PS5, but only 100mb if I try it in mine). I’m not sure what’s confusing about that? :/
Nothing, and if that is the case and indeed if anything else will run gigabit on the same connection then your ps5 is at fault... no?

Are you saying that regardless of what you plug your PS5 into it connects at 100mbps?

Nothing, and if that is the case and indeed if anything else will run gigabit on the same connection then your ps5 is at fault... no?

Are you saying that regardless of what you plug your PS5 into it connects at 100mbps?
Gotcha, it might seem that way but I also have two PCs that do the same, and my PS5 will work at gigabit speeds at a friends house so I don’t think it’s the PS5.

I am starting to think it is indeed my router, since on one PC it just told me it was connected but with no internet out of the blue.

Apologies this is such a tedious issue. I’ll chat to Virgin now and see if they can send a new hub out, it’s just strange why it’d only be my devices and not any other.

How are you using all the devices if you are not using the switch?

To clarify are the cables you use premade or have you made them?

What test are you using to determine that the speed is slow (other than what the router is reporting?)

Have you tried having the gs308 at the router ems and plugging everything into that then a single cable into the router?

Need to eliminate the internet from it so download a tool called iperf 3 on both pcs. Run one as a client and one as a server and they will tell you the proper speed. Try it in different combinations and you should find that between the PCs of everything if working as expected you should get 930Mbps (ish) . If it gets 90Mbps then something is dropping the speed. Try both plugged into the switch then one into switch and through router, then both through router and check to see what router is saying at same time

Yes but you need to answer these questions as they are very pertinent to the diagnosis of your issue.

Yes but you need to answer these questions as they are very pertinent to the diagnosis of your issue.
To answer the questions:

1. If I’m not using the switch I will use ethernet direct from the router to the device.

2. Cables are premade Cat7 and brand-new (they work fine for the other devices when I’ve tested them)

3. Samknows Realspeed to test

4. I have not tried using the GS308 at the router, mainly because if I still have issues without using the switch I don’t see how that would solve it.

5. I will try iperf3 shortly as recommended by Chuck, and report back what it says.

That's why I said connect everything to the GS308 and then just have one connection to the Super Hub.

All the devices you have on your list (older Sky Q Main and current mini boxes only have 100Mbit ports) should connect at 1Gbps and you can verify that by the switch lights and in the PCs and others by looking at the about connection. You can also verify the link speed between the GS308 and the VM from the lights.

If the other devices are connected to the switch then the router cannot play any part in the negotiation of the link speed of the switch to the device. This then would prove that there is something wrong with the Super Hub.

That's why I said connect everything to the GS308 and then just have one connection to the Super Hub.

All the devices you have on your list (older Sky Q Main and current mini boxes only have 100Mbit ports) should connect at 1Gbps and you can verify that by the switch lights and in the PCs and others by looking at the about connection. You can also verify the link speed between the GS308 and the VM from the lights.

If the other devices are connected to the switch then the router cannot play any part in the negotiation of the link speed of the switch to the device. This then would prove that there is something wrong with the Super Hub.
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense.

Thank you folks, I will try this as soon as I can.

So, interestingly, after connecting the switch to the router and connecting everything else via the switch, all devices now get gigabit speeds, my PS5 included.

Haven’t been able to get iperf3 to work but didn’t have much time to play around with it so will try properly tomorrow when I have a bit more free time.

I’ll monitor how it goes for a few days and if no issues I’ll assume it’s resolved. Thank you all for your help, greatly appreciated!

Good stuff so far.

For iperf bring up powershell or cmd on windows as an administrator and run ./iperfxx.x.exe -s

That will effectively listen as a server on whether IP address it running on. Running it as admin should allow the port to open on the PC firewall if running Windows stock.

Then on the other PC run ./iperfxx.x.exe -c IPofserver

where the IP address is the other machine. It should connect and the default settings runs a connection 10 times in a row and then gives you a throughput answer.

You can tweak it to run more threads and stuff but you shouldn't need that on just a gigabit connection.

Good stuff so far.

For iperf bring up powershell or cmd on windows as an administrator and run ./iperfxx.x.exe -s

That will effectively listen as a server on whether IP address it running on. Running it as admin should allow the port to open on the PC firewall if running Windows stock.

Then on the other PC run ./iperfxx.x.exe -c IPofserver

where the IP address is the other machine. It should connect and the default settings runs a connection 10 times in a row and then gives you a throughput answer.

You can tweak it to run more threads and stuff but you shouldn't need that on just a gigabit connection.
Appreicate all the help!

So, long story short: I had two ethernet cables (one brand new) which was faulty, but only on occasion, so when I tested it on some other devices initially it was full speed.

However, the switch being setup the way it is now appears to be working smoothly and actually better setup for me than it was before really.

Thanks a bunch folks. 🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom