• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Virgin "Fibre" Twin Cable ? RG6?

DinoKustas

Hi,

I am finally getting Virgin installed at my new build this Saturday (apparently) and I'm curious about the cable that they use.

The house has a twin white cable run to two locations, bedroom and living room.

I was under the impression that the cable used for Virgin was RG6. But looking at the cables I noticed that one cable is thicker than the other?

Can someone tell me which cable does what please? I was hoping to get a run of the required cable to where my cabinet will be located, I nearly bought RG6 but want to be sure I get the right thing!

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
The signal on the interior of the house will indeed be conveyed via high grade digital RG6. The cable going into the brown drop box on the exterior of the building will be RG11, but will also have a smaller telephone wire bonded alongside it. The telephone wire will be split off from the coax when inside the building and it will go to the primary telephone socket. The coax will go to either a surge suppressor inside the white isolator box on the interior wall or a combined suppressor splitter before an RG6 feed is then used to convey the feed to both STBs and or modem/Superhub. No idea what the cables you are looking at relates to, but they are not the conventional cables as used by either Virgin Media or the concerns previously dealing with cable TV installation inside homes. Maybe it is just the main feed outside with its telephone wire you are looking at?

You only need use high grade RG6 cable runs from the main box on the inside wall of your house or splitter to wherever your TV STB and or SuperHub will be located. Virgin will provide and install these cables for you as part of the installation, but only if you don't mind the cables being surface mounted and if the areas to be wired are relatively easy to access?

Last edited:

metalguru

The cable coming into the house will be rg6 unless you are at the very limit from the cab in the street then it will be Rg11 as this loses less signal

metalguru

Its called siamese as it has the telco cable joined to it, rg11 is a,lot thicker than rg6 and never used inside the property

dante01

Distinguished Member
Its called siamese as it has the telco cable joined to it, rg11 is a,lot thicker than rg6 and never used inside the property

jBlDHZ.jpg

zH2JPq.jpg

It wouldn't ordinarily be exposed like this either and is more commonly housed within a green tubular sheath if buried in your garden.

H30fHs.jpg

Last edited:

DinoKustas

I had planned to run WF100 for the Sky back to the same location actually.

The run is likely to be approximately 15-20m if that makes any difference?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The run distance proposed shouldn't be an issue as far as Virgin is concerned. THe engineer will adjust the feed if it is though. Note that the installer shouldn't really be using your cables and may refuse to if he's got out of bed on the wrong side?

Maybe ask him nicely to terminate the cables with professionally fitted and crimped F plug terminations if you've not the tool to do it yourself? These are far better than the twist on variety most DIYers end up using.

Last edited:

DinoKustas

As the cable already runs in the house do you think they'll be happy running any additional cabling, let alone one that requires them going outside up through the attic and then down to the stairs?? :D

I take it that connecting my own cable instead of one of the existing ones running in the house will get me into trouble?

dante01

Distinguished Member
They wont go up into your loft and under floorboards etc without prior arrangement to do so and such an arrangement will more than likely set you back an extra £100. Such extra work also needs a site visit prior to the installation to assess the extra work required.

Although the installer isn't supposed to use non VM installed cabling, you yourself are free to as long as the cables are those after the white isolator box on the inside wall.

DinoKustas

Well I'm unlikely to get the cable in prior to the install on Saturday so it would be something I add afterwards.

The mention of adjusting the feed was my only concern.. but I guess they run additional cabling for houses all the time for multiroom etc. So my additional length of cable shouldn't be too much of an issue. I guess I'll find out if when I connect it my internet flat lines!

messimagician

I got myself some Webro HD100 cable to extend mine, it's triple shielded and it's the best of the lot, you can buy it in certain lengths online. Also get some compression connectors as well

DinoKustas

I would be crimping the f connections to be fair.

Did you have any issues extending with the Webro HD100? What sort of length did you run? Did Virgin sue you? :D

messimagician

The original virgin cable was 3m from the wall plate in the living room, I used 15m of HD100 from the wall plate to under the stairs where my Tivo is, I have had no problems at all.

Virgin won't sue haha, I even had a virgin technician make me up another length of cable as well since the neighbours phone line went down and he knocked on to see if he could do a temp fix by using my box, I thought we both got a good deal haha

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom