Virgin fiber finally coming. Worth considering 3rd party options? E.g apple TV

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by 1234halo, Jul 29, 2012.

1. 1234halo

1234halo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I've been lobbying for Virgin fiber to come down my street for 3 years & finally it's going to happen next week. I work from home & all 4 family members use the 2mb BT connection we have.

I'm out of contract on all my services so can switch which ever way. The broadband is a no brainier. We don't use the phone land line at all. For the TV we have sky movies & the entertainment package. We do watch sky1,2, Atlantic & FX. I would like to watch some cage fighting or grappling, but not fussed about any other types of sports.

I have a PS3 & a synology NAS too.

My friend suggested just buying an Apple TV for movies & the basic TV package.

What's the best solution & are there 3rd party options I should consider?

Sorry if I'm vague, just this is all a little confusing for me.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,215
    Given your requirements I'd suggest you have all that you need already at your disposal. The SKY package and satellite TV you've got gives you the TV channels you watch (some of which are not available via Virgin Media) and you can rent films and TV shows via using NetFlix or LoveFilms on your PS3.

An Apple TV simply provides a means by which to access iTunes on a PC and Apple's own iTunes Store. It has no ability to access TV broadcasts or the UK iPlayers associated with UK broadcasters. The ATV cannot use DLNA so your NAS will have little if any use in conjunction with one and you have to have iTunes up and running on your PC on the same LAN as your ATV in order to access your stored Apple iTunes content.

The Broadband benefits of Virgin are the only real thing you'll gain if you switch, but then again, you can subscribe to Virgin's BB service without having to also take their TV packages.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Probably worth adding that the Apple TV also includes a very slick app to access the Netflix service for streaming of the Netflix catalogue of movies and tv programs.

At £5.99 per month Netflix is considerably cheaper than Sky Movies at £16 per month. So it may be worth you exploring as an option. I've cancelled Sky Movies as a result and am perfectly happy with the choice on Netflix. Sky will get newer movies quicker of course so if that's important to you then stick to Sky.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,215
    The PS3 can already access both Netflix and Lovefilms without need for an Apple TV.

5. 1234halo

1234halo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick daft question. Are the movies streamed from Netflix & Lovefilms or are they stored on the PS3. I ask as I have the old 40gb PS3, so hardly any space available.

Both sound like good alternatives to sky movies, I'm not concerned if I see things a little later than others. That was the thought process behind swapping cinema trips to getting sky movies.

For the tv we would miss Atlantic, however that would only be for Game of thrones. So might go for the Virgin TV too.

Thanks for the advice.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,215
    No, the content is streamed to your PS3 via the internet and not stored on it.

7. 1234halo

1234halo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks again