Virgin Coax Extension

Schecter

Novice Member
Hi everyone, just joined here in hope to get help resolving an annoying issue, before going to the last resort and pay virgin to do the job.

Getting the living room ready to fit a new tv to be wall mounted. As part of this I want to move all sockets to the middle of the wall, so all cable can be hidden nicely.

One of which is the Virgin master socket. I’ve done my research, and everything looked dead easy. Bought 2m of Webbro WF100, some couplers from Screwfix and a set of F-type Cabelcon 5.1 Self Install connectors.

The theory is to remove the virgin master socket box, remove the euro module from that box, which leaves me with the main white coax cable from virgin (that comes straight from outside the house). Then fit the Cabelcon connector to each end of the new WF100 cable, then connect this cable to the Virgin one with the help of a coupler. At the other end of the extension cable, plug the Virgin euro module back and fit the whole box at the new position.

Was supposed to be plug and play, but no internet connection when plugging the box back in. Redone all the connectors, plugged everything same no internet.

tried plugging everything as it was before me tinkering. And internet is back on.

I’m out of ideas. Can’t see where I went wrong. Why adding a simple length of cable is not working. I couldn’t find any answer to that on the forum.

I’ve attached some to illustrate.

CF92E16E-94D0-49D1-A208-B576CC02ACBD.jpeg
First picture, Virgin’s main coax cable into the euro module, then Virgin’s thin white coax to the router. Brown cable is the WF100 extension that is supposed to connect to Virgin’s main coax cable in the wall with the help of a coupler.

2DC00E3A-C5B9-4631-8783-A76A910BAA79.jpeg
Second picture, is the other end of the WF100 cable. Which is supposed to plug in the Virgin euro module when the job is done.

Any help would be much appreciated 👍 thanks. The only thing I can think is the coupler is not adequate or have badly done my connectors on the WF100 cable.

cheers

chenks

You aren’t permitted to make any changes to Virgin cabling, you need to get Virgin out to do this

Schecter

Novice Member
I’m fully aware of virgin terms and conditions. that’s on me if I mess it up.

But I do believe with enough research, properly laid out plan, and equipment that is of close or equivalent standard than the ones use by Virgin, extending a cable by 2m is entirely manageable on your own.

No need of bringing Virgin and pay £99 for such a simple job. (Which I will pay if I can’t make my setup work as intended).

Just came here to see if I have missed something or overlooked a step in the process.

chopples

Distinguished Member
extending a cable by 2m is entirely manageable on your own

It is mate but why are you messing with the master socket? just cut the Webro to length, add F connectors, screw in to the VM socket with the other end either going straight into the router. or am I missing something obvious?

Beyond that I am not sure, first thing I would check though is that the F connector is installed correctly. By that I mean the foil shield is removed with the braided copper pulled back away from the inner wire core, you say it works when in the original config, try it with the original setup but switch the supplies cable with yours, if it still doesn't work then you know where the issue is.

this is for screw types but hopefully this will give you the idea

Also the signal power level could be an issue, was there any attenuator in play prior to removing the VM socket?

Schecter

Novice Member
It is mate but why are you messing with the master socket? just cut the Webro to length, add F connectors, screw in to the VM socket with the other end either going straight into the router. or am I missing something obvious?

Beyond that I am not sure, first thing I would check though is that the F connector is installed correctly. By that I mean the foil shield is removed with the braided copper pulled back away from the inner wire core, you say it works when in the original config, try it with the original setup but switch the supplies cable with yours, if it still doesn't work then you know where the issue is.

this is for screw types but hopefully this will give you the idea

Also the signal power level could be an issue, was there any attenuator in play prior to removing the VM socket?
Cheers for your input!

I’ve redone all the connectors a third time the following day, and it all work as it should with full bandwidth. Quite happy about it.

the issue was indeed the connectors. What I did was removing the copper braided shield but left in place the second copper sheet shield. Didn’t think it would affect anything. So the third time out of curiosity, I’ve removed all the shielding layer before inserting the dielectric in the plug, and worked perfectly.

i’m getting a new LG G1 that I want to fit on the wall as neatly as possible. The Virgin master box in the living room was quite an ugly sight, so decided to bring everything in the centre of the wall where it would be hidden by a cabinet under the tv.

D2FE3FB2-1CE4-45A1-98D4-1CDAC6186A83.jpeg

That’s the end result, quite pleased with looks of it. Still need to add a usb module and a brush plate where tv cables will come out from. And tidy all the cables properly once the tv gets delivered.

Anyways thanks for your help. Everything is finally working :)

chopples

Distinguished Member
Cheers for your input!

I’ve redone all the connectors a third time the following day, and it all work as it should with full bandwidth. Quite happy about it.

the issue was indeed the connectors. What I did was removing the copper braided shield but left in place the second copper sheet shield. Didn’t think it would affect anything. So the third time out of curiosity, I’ve removed all the shielding layer before inserting the dielectric in the plug, and worked perfectly.

i’m getting a new LG G1 that I want to fit on the wall as neatly as possible. The Virgin master box in the living room was quite an ugly sight, so decided to bring everything in the centre of the wall where it would be hidden by a cabinet under the tv.

View attachment 1550224
That’s the end result, quite pleased with looks of it. Still need to add a usb module and a brush plate where tv cables will come out from. And tidy all the cables properly once the tv gets delivered.

Anyways thanks for your help. Everything is finally working :)

looks tidy mate, glad to hear you got it working :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom