Virgin call scam

andrewt9763

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just a rant.
An elderly person (81)I know was called by someone supposedly from Virgin saying she had a faulty internet connection and they needed some of her information to sort out the issue,
Without thinking and under a bombardment of questions she gave out her bank pin no they then got her to install quick support from google play store,after this they told her an engineer would be out as they couldn’t fix it online.
I arrived too late to stop them taking out her money but realised straight away that a scam had taken place straight onto bank to stop any future issues.
Im assuming quick support can spoof her number as a text with a confirmation code should be sent by text and input before a transfer can be made.
Reported to Action Fraud as well.
These people are low down scum.
Rant over.

Has she reported it to her bank, if not do so as soon as possible.

Reporting to Action Fraud, frankly, is probably a waste of time, its a statistic collating machine.

Agreed the people who do this are low life scum, but it isn't surprising when Law Enforcement do next to nothing about it, even though its fairly trivial to trace the money trail. (the reasons why they do little to nothing are probably for another discussion and way OT)

Anyway I hope your friend gets her money refunded by her bank (one banks do refund in certain circumstances believe it or not)

Edit: Just -re-read your post, I am not aware that quick support can spoof a number if you mean she received a one time pass code, they probably asked her to provide any codes she was given, its quite common. (they make up some excuse as to why you need to give the codes to them)

"Action Fraud, frankly, is probably a waste of time, its a statistic collating machine"

It is? That's disappointing.

Last edited:
Has she reported it to her bank, if not do so as soon as possible.

Reporting to Action Fraud, frankly, is probably a waste of time, its a statistic collating machine.

Agreed the people who do this are low life scum, but it isn't surprising when Law Enforcement do next to nothing about it, even though its fairly trivial to trace the money trail. (the reasons why they do little to nothing are probably for another discussion and way OT)

Anyway I hope your friend gets her money refunded by her bank (one banks do refund in certain circumstances believe it or not)

Edit: Just -re-read your post, I am not aware that quick support can spoof a number if you mean she received a one time pass code, they probably asked her to provide any codes she was given, its quite common. (they make up some excuse as to why you need to give the codes to them)
Yes bank was first call I made,all numbers changed on account.
Quick support can take remote control of devices apparently,it’s been uninstalled now but bank have advised a professional clean of phone is required ,not sure what this is as I thought a hard reset wipe would remove any traces of previous installs.

Thanks for sharing this information. We really need to spread the word to anyone around us about all these phone scammers. I personally always talk about these scams to my elderly parents. I ask them to just ignore any calls from unfamiliar numbers, and sometimes I ask them to just block the number and share them to some complaint boards like whycallme. These scammers are very persistent.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom