Virgin cables explained

blubber234

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I’m interested in getting virgin as deals seem to be much better than sky.
Problem I have is that I have my tv on the wall with all cables hidden behind the chimney breast.
As I’m aware I will need 2 coaxial cables coming from outside to connect to both the router and virgin 360 box.

The bloke who put me the tv on wall and did all wiring put a coaxial cable in my cabinet leading to the outside incase I got virgin. Would virgin be able to use this wire and just put a splitter on the end to connect both 360 box and router instead of putting the classic plastic virgin box on the inside wall to connect into.

So I’m interested in getting virgin as deals seem to be much better than sky.
Problem I have is that I have my tv on the wall with all cables hidden behind the chimney breast.
As I’m aware I will need 2 coaxial cables coming from outside to connect to both the router and virgin 360 box.

The bloke who put me the tv on wall and did all wiring put a coaxial cable in my cabinet leading to the outside incase I got virgin. Would virgin be able to use this wire and just put a splitter on the end to connect both 360 box and router instead of putting the classic plastic virgin box on the inside wall to connect into.
I'd ring virginmedia and ask if you can have a pre install site survey. I did this prior to my install. Meant I was able to show/discuss with the install team how I wanted cabling run, outlets positioned etc.

The Virgin Media feed from outside is a single coax cable. This can be split to giive you a feed to both you TV STB and you Super HUb. THe SuperHub is a router and a modem.

Note that you'd need an HDMI cable from the STB to the TV. THe feed from Virgin Media doesn't connect directly to your TV and has to go th the Set Top Box. THe video and audio is output from the STV to the TV via HDMI and the STB is the device that acts as the tuner.

I would read all of this thread first. :(

I am thinking of moving to Sky because of the problems I am having with Virgin and my Q90R.
Without derailing the op's thread. Can I ask what issues you're experiencing? I have virginmedia in use with a Samsung Q95T - and have no problems with picture or sound quality.

Edit: Just seen the link to vm community. I've not experienced this at all. Very strange.

@jaigee

Have you tried seeing if using a different HDMI port helps. Also set your V6's power saving mode to either "Always on" or "Connected low power"

To do this on the v6 remote:

1. Press "Home"
2. Select "Help & settings", then "Settings"
3. Select "Devices", then "Power Saving Settings"

Hope this helps

I've got virgin media and a wall mounted tv and as dante01 said a single coaxial cable goes to a splitter and one coaxial cable to the router and the other to the STB you need a hdmi cable from the STB to the tv hope you're got a spare hdmi cable to the tv

@jaigee

Have you tried seeing if using a different HDMI port helps. Also set your V6's power saving mode to either "Always on" or "Connected low power"

To do this on the v6 remote:

1. Press "Home"
2. Select "Help & settings", then "Settings"
3. Select "Devices", then "Power Saving Settings"

Hope this helps
Thanks but I have tried everything, including the above, the same as most people with the problem on their Q90R's. Virgin Help can rectify it remotely but after a short while it is back to square one again. 😢

I've got virgin media and a wall mounted tv and as dante01 said a single coaxial cable goes to a splitter and one coaxial cable to the router and the other to the STB you need a hdmi cable from the STB to the tv hope you're got a spare hdmi cable to the tv
Yes we’ve got a couple of spare hdmi cables plugged in. Only using one for soundbar.
Your setup sounds what I was hoping to be able to do. Am I right in thinking that you’ve got your router in your tv cabinet next to the STB, then a splitter behind the unit with the 2 coaxial coming into the router and STB

Yes we’ve got a couple of spare hdmi cables plugged in. Only using one for soundbar.
Your setup sounds what I was hoping to be able to do. Am I right in thinking that you’ve got your router in your tv cabinet next to the STB, then a splitter behind the unit with the 2 coaxial coming into the router and STB
Yes one coaxial cable comes in to the house the splitter is under the tv cabinet and one cable to the STB and the other to the router on the TV cabinet your all sorted just connect one end of your hdmi cable to the STB and the other to the tv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210401-181942_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210401-181942_Chrome.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,355
Yes one coaxial cable comes in to the house the splitter is under the tv cabinet and one cable to the STB and the other to the router on the TV cabinet your all sorted just connect one end of your hdmi cable to the STB and the other to the tv
Do you have a virgin wall box on the inside of the house where the cables originate from?
As the coaxial cable going from tv unit to outside is hidden under floorboards so wouldn’t want the cable box on the inside wall.

Do you have a virgin wall box on the inside of the house where the cables originate from?
As the coaxial cable going from tv unit to outside is hidden under floorboards so wouldn’t want the cable box on the inside wall.
Yes virgin media put a white box on the inside wall and run the coaxial cable from their they won't use an existing cable it has to be one of there's. You could get them to run the cable around the skirting board to the splitter and when they leave swop it for the cable under the floor if its up to standard you could give it a try to see if it works. My virgin coaxial cable is run under the carpet between the gripper strip and the underlay

Am I right in thinking that you’ve got your router in your tv cabinet next to the STB
Whilst you can put the router inside a cabinet, personally I wouldn't & don't. The vm hub needs to have space around all sides to improve WiFi range. The Wi-Fi range on the hub isn't the best to start with and sticking it inside a cabinet, won't help it for sure. On the cabinet is fine. In it I'd avoid if possible.

Simply place it on the flloor behing the cabinet if you want to conceal it.

I'd even suggest initially leaving it in the cabinet and testing your wifi signal around your home prior to commiting yourself to moving the superhub out from the cabinet. You only need concern yourself with its location if you are actually experiencing wifi issues.

The tv unit is a mounted unit so not on the wall, therefore the wires are coming from behind the chimney breast. If they wouldn’t use the new cables that the av company has just put in then it would be a no go, as don’t want cables running across skirting and up wall

I'd even suggest initially leaving it in the cabinet and testing your wifi signal around your home prior to commiting yourself to moving the superhub out from the cabinet.
I'd actually just ask them to connect it with a long enough length of coax to move it, should it be necessary.

When they installed mine, I asked them to locate & feed the router to a specific spot, as I'd pre determined that would offer the best wifi signal throughout my house. This was not next to any of my STB's, but both are hardwired to the hub via ethernet run.

AS suggested allow the engineer to inmstall the STB and router, but request he not fix the cables he uses to your woodwork. Tell him that you are having furyher work done or decorating. When he has gone, simply disconnect the wires he provided and use the coax you had installed.

If you get an ameanable installer then he may in fact connect the wiring that you had installed as long as he thinks it suitable.

The tv unit is a mounted unit so not on the wall, therefore the wires are coming from behind the chimney breast. If they wouldn’t use the new cables that the av company has just put in then it would be a no go, as don’t want cables running across skirting and up wall
Seriously ring them and ask for a pre-install visit. They worked with me on my install requests. What I found is they will do most things providing they don't have to lift floorboards, remove tv's etc.

The pre-install visit can be used to discuss any unique requirements for install. If recorded correctly, these requirements can then be implemented by the install team on the day.

I'd actually just ask them to connect it with a long enough length of coax to move it, should it be necessary.

When they installed mine, I asked them to locate & feed the router to a specific spot, as I'd pre determined that would offer the best wifi signal throughout my house. This was not next to any of my STB's, but both are hardwired to the hub via ethernet run.

My SuperHub is located in an entirely different room to where my TV and V6 box are. I do however have wired ethernet connections to three rooms in my house, each room also incorporates an ethernet switch to allow for multiple devices to be connected in each one of them.

The only devices using Wifi are my iPhone and my iPad.

I would be very surprised if they would use existing cables which they have not supplied even if they are up to spec.

My SuperHub is located in an enturely different room to where my TV and V6 box is. I do however have wired connections to three rooms in my house, each room also incorporates an ethernet switch to allow for multiple devices to be connected in each one of them.

The only devices using Wifo are my iPhone and my iPad.
This is pretty much the route I've taken. My hub is in the hallway & I have 3 separate ethernet runs from it to each of the room I need it in. I then connect a ethernet switch to each room feed to hook up my multiples bits of kit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom