• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

virgin cable questions

jazzmansix

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

Would like to "pick a few brains" on virgin digital questions,-----

First, i will explain my set up. I have sky plus with full sky package on main tv in lounge, but will be upgrading to sky hd box (for footy) and will be installing multiroom (sky +) in main bedroom. Alongside this i have been a long time customer of ntl (virgin) of which i take phone,broadband and analogue tv (which i have run throughout house as a terrestial aerial due to appaling tv reception where i live and no freeview in the area to date).

Right ,now to the questions:-

1- I now want to go on to the virgin 2 for twenty package keeping my 2 meg broadband package and phone line but incorporating the free digital tv (basically a freeview box).Can i split this digi signal and run it to another digi box in another room? (or use av senders?)

2- I have an extra cable point in a further bedroom, can i aquire a further digi box (ebay/virgin) and run that to a tv? (problems?)

3- Do virgin charge if i use this extra tv point (freeview only)?

Basically what i am after is to watch a good quality source for the lounge (i.e. for footy + movies) and to provide acceptable quality to a further 3 lcd tvs around the house.

Any comments appreciated!

Many Thanks Guys

Jazz:cool:

Scanner_Bloke

Standard Member
This isn't a comprehensive reply, but briefly:

Yes, the digital system will drive two independant boxes, although the second box would have to be supplied and installed by Virgin, and there's a monthly rental for the second box too (I think it's 5 quid but check the website)

The RF out from the set-top box can be distributed around your home using your existing distribution as it already is, but you have obviously realised it no longer will be carrying the terrestial analogue signals, you will simply see the channel that the STB is producing. How useful this will be to you would depend on how many people would want to watch different TV progs at the same time!! Don't forget you can loop the RF through the Cable box and your Sky box (I'm assuming they will both be in your lounge) and as long as you ensure they are set to different RF output channels that would give each TV on your distribution two different channels to watch.

Hope that helps? Feel free to ask if I can clarify anything.

Dave.

PS, are you sure you would get the "freeview" TV service as part of the "2 for 20" package? (I'm being very lazy, I can't be bothered ploughing through the VirginMedia website to find out!!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom