Virgin Broadband Router relocation

moghm

Standard Member
Hello,

Lets say I need to move my virgin router to another location, I do think I have enough cable as I asked for extra at time of installation. However, I may have to snip the plug of the end of the cable to get it through the wall at the other end. Question is, can i just snip end plug off and then attach an F plug (like sky satellite cable) and then just attach to router ? Some conflicting reports of loss of speed may occur, balance of connection for neighbours, etc. It is unlikely that I will be extending the length of the cable, more likely I may have to reduce.

Many thanks.

Kristian

Just drill a bigger hole if you're worried. F connector I have here is about 11mm in diameter, whereas I'd expect the coax cable to be about 7mm. It's not a lot bigger.

moghm

Standard Member
Thanks. yep, possible but I'm also interested in reducing length. Is it just an F connector though on the cable ?

ChrisN

It's just an F-Plug.
I ran a completely new cable when I moved mine with no problems at all.

mushii

Distinguished Member
It is worth noting that Virgin Media use Cablecon Compression Connectors on their terminations, specifically they use yellow (Cablecon F-56 CX3 4.9) or black (Cablecon RG59/6 3.9) Compression Connectors depending on cable size. It shouldnt make too much difference if you use a twist-on F-Plug but be aware that you will need to get the correct diameter connector. Also VM will know you have re-terminated if you use twist-on F-Plugs (because they are not allowed to be used by their installation engineers) and they have to visit your installation for any reason.
Its also worth noting that VM tend to use grease filled cable and when you strip the outer sheathing back, there will be a thin layer of really sticky grease to contend with.

Its unlikely that it should have a detrimental effect on neighbours or your speed. But be aware that cable is not your property, it is the property of VM. That said I have moved plenty around for clients and re-terminated the cables because VM wanted ridiculous money to come out and move it. What you shouldnt do is split their cable as you will need the correct splitter and that can affect your service.

moghm

Standard Member
Thankyou Mushi and ChrisN. Well its about a. neatness b. saving money. Cant go around spending money I haven't got.....

mushii

Distinguished Member
Assuming that the black cable is your incoming then you will need Cablecon Yellow connectors (Cablecon F-56 CX3 4.9) and a compression tool. Something like this

Amazon product
and a suitable compression tool

Amazon product
and you will need a cable stripper

Amazon product
If you have not done this before, you may want to find some youtube videos and practice stripping on some spare cable

mushii

Distinguished Member
You can just use a twist on F-Plug. My info was really so that you could replicate what a VM Engineer would provide if they were doing the work.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom