Virgin broadband help and recommendations

marc.knuckle

Hi all.

So firstly the issue.

I have Virgin broadband 200mbps with the Hub 3. Regular issues with complete loss of connection. Today the Ethernet works and so does 2.4ghz wi-fi but not 5ghz.
I've restarted twice. I've disabled smart wi-fi and auto channel select (I'd done this before but it had re-enabled). No better.
Strange. Any help appreciated.

Next, I've tried putting it into modern mode and using a different router before but when I've had issues then, it's given me a headache having another device to terrible shoot so I've always gone back to using the Hub 3 in router mode.

So the question is, if i move to another provider when I'm able to, what would be a good company that would also enable me to use my own router without having to use theirs too?

Cheers, Marc

jimscreechy

terrible shoot
heheh nice!

Er... you know, I think your best bet is to phone Virgin and have them replace terrible-shoot (I'm keeping that one) or replace it, after all, you cannot be expected to diagnose problems with their kit, its not really your responsibility.
I appreciate that a lot of people would rather do it themselves to get fast resolution, but ultimately Virgin are responsible for the delivery of the service they've contracted to deliver to you.

This isn't a case of you trying to do something 'additional' or subsequent to their service, this is their service simply not working as it should.

marc.knuckle

heheh nice!

Er... you know, I think your best bet is to phone Virgin and have them replace terrible-shoot (I'm keeping that one) or replace it, after all, you cannot be expected to diagnose problems with their kit, its not really your responsibility.
I appreciate that a lot of people would rather do it themselves to get fast resolution, but ultimately Virgin are responsible for the delivery of the service they've contracted to deliver to you.

This isn't a case of you trying to do something 'additional' or subsequent to their service, this is their service simply not working as it should.
Definitely.

It should have read trouble shoot but the terrible shoot is probably more fitting.

The issue with that is how poor Virgin are at resolving it and even how poor their customer service is.

For this instance i would like to get the 5ghz working but I'll be looking to move as soon as i can and wanted to look to move somewhere i could use my own router if i have issues

oneman

If SH3 and third party router are both giving problems then I think you have another issue, maybe channel clash or interference or a badly behaved network device. The SH3 isn't great but it should be fairly reliable unless you have lots (30 or more) devices or you are hammering your internet connection.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Let's be clear about what your problem is before you train your guns on VM:

How have you ascertained that 5GHz "isn't working." There are myriad reasons why you might loose a Wi-Fi link, many of them environmental or faults in the client devices and not due to a "fault" in your router.

For example, if the Internet link is working, the ethenet lobes are working and the 2.4GHz waveband is working, then it much more likely that you are suffering an interference issue on the 5GHz waveband rather than a faulty router. Or you have some crap client devices making a mess of it.

Contrary to other opinions, it's not up to your ISP to "fix" issues with the RF environment in your locale. And a new/diffferent router wouldn't necessarily fix it either.

Wi-Fi is a collaborative infrastructure and everything has to "play nice together" for it to work - it's a mistake to rush to "blame the router" for all issues.

So the jumping off point is to assess what is actually culpable so we can determine what solution is required. I would leave your ISP router in router mode ("put it into modem mode" is not some kind of universal omni-fix and isn't even a good Wi-Fi fix.) Then set up a test regime. Ideally, connect up something ethernet, something 2.4GHz and something 5GHz. Ping your router on all three to establish it's fundamentally "working" and also ping something out on the Internet (again from all three) to establish that the ISP link is functioning. Wait for it to go wrong, then repeat all of those test to establish what has failed and what hasn't. That will then inform where we need to direct attention to achieve a resolution.

marc.knuckle

Everything has been working with this same set up for years apart from intermittent issues as described above. No new devices have been added and Ethernet and both wifi connections were working up until last night.

This morning i tested on the PC and Ethernet is working. I tested 2.4ghz using my phone and tried 3 other devices to test 5ghz which isn't working all of a sudden.

I went into the router settings and turned off smart wi-fi and auto channel as Virgin had enabled it again since i turned it off.

I selected channel 11 for 2.4ghz and 48 for 5ghz as the wi-fi analyser i used showed those to be least congested.

2.4ghz was already working but I hoped it would help 5ghz to work but no better.

John7

Have you tried re-booting the Hub? This usually clears up any issues I have had in the past. I generally find it to be very reliable (200MBS) and connected to several iPads, NAS, TV, 3 x PC's etc.

marc.knuckle

Yeah, twice this morning. Usually fine but the intermittent problems are still annoying enough to warrant me trying to find another provider i can use my own router with

When i mentioned above having to trouble shoot two routers, that was ages ago so there has only been the Virgin one for a while so the problem is only with that router.

marc.knuckle

Let's be clear about what your problem is before you train your guns on VM:

How have you ascertained that 5GHz "isn't working." There are myriad reasons why you might loose a Wi-Fi link, many of them environmental or faults in the client devices and not due to a "fault" in your router.

For example, if the Internet link is working, the ethenet lobes are working and the 2.4GHz waveband is working, then it much more likely that you are suffering an interference issue on the 5GHz waveband rather than a faulty router. Or you have some crap client devices making a mess of it.

Contrary to other opinions, it's not up to your ISP to "fix" issues with the RF environment in your locale. And a new/diffferent router wouldn't necessarily fix it either.

Wi-Fi is a collaborative infrastructure and everything has to "play nice together" for it to work - it's a mistake to rush to "blame the router" for all issues.

So the jumping off point is to assess what is actually culpable so we can determine what solution is required. I would leave your ISP router in router mode ("put it into modem mode" is not some kind of universal omni-fix and isn't even a good Wi-Fi fix.) Then set up a test regime. Ideally, connect up something ethernet, something 2.4GHz and something 5GHz. Ping your router on all three to establish it's fundamentally "working" and also ping something out on the Internet (again from all three) to establish that the ISP link is functioning. Wait for it to go wrong, then repeat all of those test to establish what has failed and what hasn't. That will then inform where we need to direct attention to achieve a resolution.
I'm at work at present. If i try this later, could you tell me how to ping to and from please?

jimscreechy

Yeah, twice this morning. Usually fine but the intermittent problems are still annoying enough to warrant me trying to find another provider i can use my own router with

When i mentioned above having to trouble shoot two routers, that was ages ago so there has only been the Virgin one for a while so the problem is only with that router.
Indeed, as you have described the problem you have an internet connection and a router, not complicated and I have taken you at your word 5ghz is not working. Call VM

oneman

Its been a while since I used the superhub but I believe you can change the SSID of the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz to be different which might be worth trying. Then you can be sure the device is connected at a specific frequency.

marc.knuckle

Its been a while since I used the superhub but I believe you can change the SSID of the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz to be different which might be worth trying. Then you can be sure the device is connected at a specific frequency.
Cheers mate, yeah they're already different but thanks for the info.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I'm at work at present. If i try this later, could you tell me how to ping to and from please?

No worries: "Ping" is a mechanism that used to test basic IP network connectivity, it's named after the sonar "pings" in submarine movies. Basically ping sends out a network packet addressed to a particular target, if the target receives it, it will send back a response and that'll be reported on the client that issued the pings. These days some things don't respond to ping requests, so we might have to hunt bit for a web site on the Internet that will answer - the BBC usually does.

To go about it, on a computer (Mac, Linux or Windows) open up a "CMD" window and type the command "ping" followed by the IP address or web address of the target you want to ping. Wait a bit and you should see some replies. If it's all working, you see "reply from A.B.C.D..." and some stats reported, or some other messages if you got no answer. On Windows, it usually send out 4 pings at a time, some other platforms ping forever until you halt it.

I'm not sure how you'd do this on phones and tablets, but I'm sure there will be a way, if nothing else there may be an app for. You could even run one of the Ookla "Speed tests" if you cannot find anything else as one of the things they do as part of the test is some pings.

Last edited:

marc.knuckle

Cheers mate. I've ran the ookla speedtest from my phone on 2.4ghz and the PC Ethernet. Both are fine, 200mbps. I can't run it with anything on 5ghz as it's not even an option in the wi-fi settings on any device, 5ghz just isn't there to connect via.

marc.knuckle

SORTED IT!

i suddenly remembered Virgin sent an email, 19/08/21, stating they were going to merge the 2 networks and create an 'intelligent wifi' network. at the time it said they would do it automatically from 01/09/21 (not sure why it only happened this morning, guess it was my turn). i had forgotten to choose not to by clicking 'opt out' and had completely forgotten about it.

so when i noticed earlier today and wrote on here that smart wifi and the auto channels had somehow selected themselves to be on again and i didnt know why, that was why.

however changing those back they way i wanted them hadnt resolved the issue and as i mentioned the wired internet worked and the 2.4ghz wifi did too. i was stumped why 5ghz didnt work. its because the main aspect of the intelligent wifi was to 'merge' the 2 networks. i have now realised that simply means they renamed my '********5g' SSID to the same as my '********2g' SSID so both were under the same SSID, '********2g'. i was in fact using the 5ghz or some sort of merged hybrid and it wasnt that it had stopped working.

so i renamed the 5ghz network back to '********5g' as it was before and it's now working fine.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Cool - glad you found it, thanks for sharing.

In this case - it actually was the router and the ISP! :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom