Virgin broadband cost to you?

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by Uplift, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Uplift

Uplift

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Hi VM BB customers,

I have a question, not exactly technical.. but currently have a collections package with TV XL, 60MB BB and phone line.

I can't make friends with the TiVO and i don't use the phone at all.. so i've decided to remove the TV and phone package and just keep the broadband at 60MB and then get Sky TV in since we've got a fab introductory offer.

I pay £55.99 a month, i asked them how much the reduction would be if i was to cancel my TV and phone and they said my bill would drop to £40.25.Thats a reduction of £15.74.

I'm aware people pay different prices based on offers and bundles but i really feel like they are trying to rip me off.. i asked them to check again and she confirmed i'd pay £40.25 for 60MB BB. If i was able to get sky fibre in my area i'd have probably just left them all together.

The price advertised on the site is £27.50.

I want to phone back and try my luck again but thought i'd see what other customers are paying to save wasting my time.

2. flynnmeister

flynnmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Think I pay about 35ish for 60Mb and phone . Just waiting to get out of contract to cancel or get it reduced . The service has been great but is too much

3. freddie5

freddie5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    If your thinking of jumping ship to BT Infinity do it now as theres an offer on now which rewards people who are switching from VM - namely a £100 Sainsburys gift card. (until September 5th)

4. coys67

coys67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have VM 60MB BB only,no tv,no phone and my bill is £29.75 a month although that will increase by another £2.50 in October.

Its expensive but if you have no need for a phone line and want fast BB,VM give the best deals for me i found.

5. Uplift

Uplift

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I'd be more than happy to pay that, i'd love to know where they got my figure from.. i'm going to call them back, my contract is nearly up so i'm in a position to threaten to leave.

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I was paying £54 for 60MB \ Phone \ TV (Tivo) Large. I rang them up to cancel the phone and BB and got:

60MB \ Phone \ TV (Tivo) Small for £25. 12 month contract but discounted for 18 months.

7. milko

milko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    60MB BB without phone is advertised on their website as £27.50 so this is what you should pay. It makes no mention of new customers etc. I had an argument about this when they put the price up last time as I wanted them to explain how you can display a price for the service but charge me differently. They gave me it at the advertised price plus a £5 discount on my account for 2 years.

8. Uplift

Uplift

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Good to know, thanks.. i'm phoning them back tomorrow.

9. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    I'm paying £34 for 120mb broadband and XL phone including free 0845/0870 and caller ID.
    Cost breakdown is £24 for the BB with line rental paid up front at a cost of £120 for 12 months.

HTH
    Bal

10. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm not sure how my package compares to anyone else but I have 60mbps broadband, two tv boxes (one Tivo, one Samsung), XL landline and XL package for £72 a month.

11. Dialatech

Dialatech
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I pay £32 per month for a 60mb BB also the telephone. But I don't have mates rates attached to my account.

I also pay 35 pound per month for sky tv, That is a full package. Sports and movies

12. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +603
    £29.75 A Month For

120Mbit Down 12Mbit Up

No Other Services, No Phone Line

Been with them 10 Years, Faultless Service.

Can't Really say more.

13. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,299
    Now paying £58.99

for:
    120 BB
    Superhub 2
    basic phone (inc free 0845/70 calls)
    caller display
    call waiting
    XXL tv (all the channels)
    TIVO 500
    V+HD

Overall, pretty happy with that. It could be cheaper, but apart from the TV, not sure what we could lose when it comes to it. Partly used for business, so that eases the pain.

14. IRobot

IRobot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    Paying £29.75 a month for 60Mbps broadband. It's going up another £2.50 in October.

I just rung them up and asked if I can have 120Mbps for £30 a month :). They gave me 120Mbps for £28 a month instead :D. That loyalty discount stays on my account for two years as well.

They also said they're going to be bringing out 250Mbps and 400Mbps broadband soon.

15. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    I was on 20 meg for £28.65 going up another £2.50 from Oct till I called them up and said I was considering switching to BT with Sainsburys £100 voucher a couple of weeks back.

I now have 60mb with superhub 2 that was fitted yesterday for £22.50 price fixed for 2 years so very happy now.:D

16. chukwe

chukwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Paying £35 per month for 120mb speed + phone line XL plan

17. Uplift

Uplift

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Well i've ordered Sky it's being installed this weekend, i can't cancel VM yet as apparently Sky requires a phone line to activate. once thats done i'll be phoning VM for a realistic reduction.

18. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,006
    That is a very nice deal. I've got similar and pay around 107. Only difference is that I've got sports and movies, two Tivos (1tb & 500) and some amount of free calls. Thought I'd done well when I just resigned a few months ago. I suppose sport and movies adds on about 30 and a second TiVo is better than a V+ but still you are better off.

19. YitEarp

YitEarp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Seems fairly random the price difference here I'm guessing vm hold onto customers who have been with them awhile.

I had vm installed in April and always hit the 120mbps so I'm happy in that aspect. However I can't get along with the tivo box it's clunky and I don't like navigating with it just too jarring. I'm used to sky.

Currently paying £52 I think but I didn't realise you didn't need a phone line with vm. We haven't used a house line in years.

I think as I've only had the service for 6 months they are unlikely to change anything for me?

20. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Agreed - the TiVo is awful. Slow, clunky.

If you are in contract then the only time you can threaten to cancel and make them re-negotiate is if they increase the price of the service. You have 30 days withing notification of the price increase to do so.

If you are out of contract then go for it.

21. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,299
    I tried for over a year to get a better deal out of them and this was the best I managed. Previously they used to say it would be a big jump to go to 100 as it was then as I would lose my loyalty for some reason.

Guess I was going to lose the tv altogether, so at least they have kept the revenue stream going.

I don't use the phone, but it's worth keeping for the number and for people to ring in. I use VOIP to ring out and have done for years. Used to use a DECT handset and box, but now use my mobile with the mobileVOIP app. Generally works pretty well.

Still don't watch live tv at all virtually. My tivo saves anything I do like to watch. Again, the TVanywhere app is much better at controlling the tivo - give it a go!

22. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,006
    Not my experience but I've never had a sky box so can't compare. I'd personally recommend the TiVo to anyone.

23. BarryTheSprout

BarryTheSprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just contact the "I am leaving" department during a weekday and they will bribe the hell out of you to stay.

I'm on 60mbps for £22.50pcm. That is £27.50 standard price with a fiver discount every month.

ONLY have broadband. No phone or TV package here. And maybe I am lucky down here on the South Coast, but I get a rock solid connection on average at 62mbps. I use the Superhub in Modem mode with my own router.

In the day job I have to talk to all the different ISPs at different times for my clients... which means I'd never touch BT! AWFUL service.

24. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,132
    I'm out of contract & currently paying £57(?) for TVm, phone xl (everything) & 60m bb.
    I need to ring them to see what they can do for me really.

25. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,132
    Well there were no real offers to convince me; the best they'd offer was £49 for the same service I'm getting now.
    BT offer a very similar package (obviously the BB is slower but unlimited will probably balance itself out with larger downloads against VM's traffic management policy) for £36 but VM wouldn't budge - I'd even have to pay £25 for TIVO installation.
    I've booked a cancellation for 30 days from today so Ihopefully they'll come up with a better offer.

26. BarryTheSprout

BarryTheSprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If swapping from Virgin or Sky TV to BT TV make sure you take a careful note of what channels you actually watch. BT is only going to have a small fraction of the channels. So check they still cover your favourites.

Also take careful note of the "deals" and make sure you really are getting value for money. Any sales team for any phone\broadband supplier will always use weasily words to get you to join. So they tend to confuse you with a "6 month discount" while forgetting to mention the real price you'll be paying later in the contract.

Personally I watch Freeview and buy BluRays with the money I save from not subscribing to a TV channel. We all handle our viewing habits in a different way.

As to BT fibre vs Virgin's 60MB bb... I'd like to see BT let me download a 4.5GB ISO of Suse Linux in 12minutes!! Was peaking around 7MB/s. Yes - we are talking the equivalent of copying 5 floppy disks of data to my PC per second. Still blows me away as to how fast broadband now is. Yes, this has technically clipped the VM Traffic Management as I downloaded "over 3500MB within a single hour". Which means I am now reduced to 42mbps instead of 60mbps for the next hour... not something that really has a massive effect on me.

The nice side of Virgin is they publish exactly what their traffic management policy is. Whereas BT just quietly apply one on the background without telling you. (Especially the throttling of P2P)

VirginMedia's traffic management rules

Okay, the document takes careful reading to get the actual chart into your head, but it is more up front that BT.

And seriously... for once that download really was a Linux ISO!! Sometimes P2P is used for legal stuff. Sometimes... :D

27. Uplift

Uplift

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I've finally got Sky installed, the full package (minus movies and sports) for £16/month, free installation and free box... apart from the absolutely dreadful installation i'm really happy.. you get so much more for your money with Sky TV, the Sky+ app is amazing, SkyGo, the system itself absolutely obliterates the tivo, it's 100% faster, you actually dont mind browsing the on demand because it's instant.

Now to phone virgin and see what price i can get for BB only.

28. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,132
    Ended up with the same package, but with them installing Tivo & the Superhub2 next Friday, for £40 p/m on a 12 month contract. By then Infinity should be available which opens things up nicely. (TV is actually M+)

29. Uplift

Uplift

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Called virgin and after being passed from different people trying to keep me on a collection package they finally downgraded me to 60MB BB only at £27.50.

So now i'm paying £43.50/month for Sky Entertainment Extra+ and 60MB VM BB.. a saving of £12.49/month from my original package.

30. YitEarp

YitEarp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    That's something I will be looking into. I love sky can't be doing with tivo just too cumbersome for me