• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Virgin Broadband and Sky Q TV box compatibility issue

RobLM

Novice Member
Virgin Broadband and Sky Q TV box compatibility issue:

A Virgin Broadband tech visited and fixed an unrelated problem. He saw the Sky Q box and mentioned that there is a known issue. He said Sky TV will take 50% of the power (I assume also the mbps) of the 2.4GHz network. Most of my home stuff works on 2G. Although I am a light user.

He said this is due to some issue between the Router (Virgin 2.0) and the Sky box. I assume a Sky broadband router does not have these issues but I can't find confirmation on the web.

Is 50% of the 2.4GHz at 100mbps better than what I will get from Sky broadband at 63mbps? I have no info on how much Sky TV takes up when connected to a sky router. I believe 5GHz is unaffected. Can anyone shed any further light on this?

My dilemma is whether or not to change from 100mb Virgin to 63mb Sky. I am in contract with Sky TV and do not want to switch. I have been offered a cheaper deal to switch from Virgin to Sky Broadband.

Thanks for reading.

PS: If anyone is interested the Tech advised that Virgin broadband 2.0 Hub is better than 3.0 and all the techs leave the 2.0 in peoples homes because of this. He also mentioned that Virgin will release a 4.0 this year and I would probably get a phone call asking if I want to swap. I asked if it would be better to wait to see how 4.0 performs and he replied "definitely". Not suggesting it would be rubbish, only that it would be more prudent to wait and see.

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
I'm not familiar with Virgin hubs but what the engineer told you is true with older hubs. They also have problems with YouView boxes. Though the latest Super Hubs seem to have cured any incompatibility issues. But as you have stated your on a 100Mbps line it won't (or at least shouldn't) be an issue or affect any of your other equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom