Virgin Announced broadband speeds are doubling for free in February

With several laptops, an iPad', Apple Tv, airplay connections and a 'very' hungry hardcore gaming PC sookin' up available bandwidth I reckon I'll see quite an improvement.

But that's the thing - I really wonder if you will be able to tell any difference at all once you are upgraded. Unless it is purely a large download, you will still be stuck with the same speed that sites can actually deliver.

It potentially means that all the people on the very lowest band, suddenly find themselves able to do more and the whole network just crawls.

Guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Graham

Thanks Badger0-0. That's what I was hoping for.

BTW it's 120mb :p

The reason I said whatever, was because I think it's theoretically good for 300Mb.

Which means it's not a problem :)

In reality though, I had a Motorola Surfboard 4100 that was supposed to handle 20Mb.
It couldn't, so who knows?

But yeah, I'm jealous at your upcoming 120Mb :D

The reason I said whatever, was because I think it's theoretically good for 300Mb.

Which means it's not a problem :)

In reality though, I had a Motorola Surfboard 4100 that was supposed to handle 20Mb.
It couldn't, so who knows?

But yeah, I'm jealous at your upcoming 120Mb :D

I could say I knew what you were driving at but that would be a fib :devil:

Don't be jealous - at this rate of doubling up by VM we will all be getting a zillion mb by 2014 - so not long to wait.

....and thanks.

The Surfboard 4100 (genuine model, no joke) was supposed to be good for 24Mb, iirc.
But it couldn't do it.
That's what I was getting at :)

I'm jealous of 120Mb, but not madly so, as I've suggested earlier in the thread.

I can't use it adequately yet.

at this rate of doubling up by VM we will all be getting a zillion mb by 2014

:)

I've been saying how accurate the original "Star Trek" series was in it's predictions that are knocking 50 yo for a long while.
Think about it.
Touch screens, stupidly fast speeds, tap on the shoulder to speak to someone miles away, voice control etc, etc in the days where a mere phone call over a long distance was highly unreliable.

All good stuff, but I'm rambling and diverting the thread, sorry :rolleyes:

To counter my rambling, I should say I'm not an avid trekky.
I just liked the programme :)

No doubt it's too late though :rotfl: :facepalm:

i am a 50mb user, was thinking upgrading to 100mb. Now if they charging less then that meas i be like getting 120mb for price of 50mb!!!

Unlikely. What you'll probably find is that if you upgrade from 50 to 100 now, you won't get bumped to 120, since you'll new on a new contract @ 100Mb. It's only existing customers (and I think thus, contracts) that will be getting the bump.

It's highly likely that VM thought it through before announcing it, and anticipated 50Mb customers upgrading to 100Mb, then getting bumped to 120Mb and getting a bill reduction.

VM are daft, but not stupid ;)

To counter my rambling, I should say I'm not an avid trekky.
I just liked the programme :)

No doubt it's too late though :rotfl: :facepalm:

you will be surprised how many tech ideas come from Star Trek, watched a show on this a while back,

Live long and prosper mate :D

I've just realised that all the people currently on 30Mb or less will require a Superhub won't they?
Currently £75 :(

Do you reckon they will upgrade those on 30Mb for free?
As the standard hub can't do 60Mb can it?

Anyone currently on 30Mb already has a superhub. Anyone being boosted to 30Mb or over will get one for free

Badger0-0 said:
I've just realised that all the people currently on 30Mb or less will require a Superhub won't they?
Currently £75 :(

Do you reckon they will upgrade those on 30Mb for free?
As the standard hub can't do 60Mb can it?

The original email they sent out mentioned they'd supply people with a super hub free! They said they'd be in touch with people before they're due an upgrade!

Anyone currently on 30Mb already has a superhub. Anyone being boosted to 30Mb or over will get one for free

I see.
Cheers.

Actually I was just contemplating going from 10Mb to 30Mb now seeing as it's only a fiver a month extra.
I was working on the assumption that seeing as my Ambit 256 can apparently do 30Mb, that I wouldn't need to change it.

The original email they sent out mentioned they'd supply people with a super hub free! They said they'd be in touch with people before they're due an upgrade!

Whereas I have to pay £75?

Hmm, I guess everyone else has had to pay somewhere along the line though.

I see.
Cheers.

Actually I was just contemplating going from 10Mb to 30Mb now seeing as it's only a fiver a month extra.
I was working on the assumption that seeing as my Ambit 256 can apparently do 30Mb, that I wouldn't need to change it.

Personally I wouldn't bother. You're going to get doubled to 20Mb from your 10, so is it worth forking out £75 + £5 a month to get another 10Mb?

Whereas I have to pay £75?

Yes, but those people getting bumped to 30Mb + who currently don't have a SuperHub don't have a choice - VM is in effect "forcing" them to a speed that requires a SH. So it'd be entirely unfair to then charge them all £75 for a SH. Whereas people making the choice to switch up to a speed that requires a SH (30Mb +) are doing so through choice, so would have to pay

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't bother. You're going to get doubled to 20Mb from your 10, so is it worth forking out £75 + £5 a month to get another 10Mb?

Yes, but those people getting bumped to 30Mb + who currently don't have a SuperHub don't have a choice - VM is in effect "forcing" them to a speed that requires a SH. So it'd be entirely unfair to then charge them all £75 for a SH. Whereas people making the choice to switch up to a speed that requires a SH (30Mb +) are doing so through choice, so would have to pay

Yes I take your point.

I've just come off the blower to them.
10Mb > 30Mb = an extra £2.50 a month and a SH for free, but with a £30 setup fee.
It does involve a new contract, but purely for the BB and not the other services.

For that money, I couldn't resist :D

Hmm, I wonder if I'll get doubled in July still?
If I do, 10Mb > 60Mb for an extra £2.50 a week :eek: :thumbsup:

Good score! I'd be surprised if you do get doubled, but stranger things have happened I guess! Report back :smashin:

Quite strange really.
I'd already looked up the details as I said earlier, but when I phoned I just asked how much and she just said it's coming up at £2.50 a month.
No threatening to leave or anything.
Hence I couldn't really say no.

When I asked if it meant another contract, she said "I have to ask the Manager. Does it mean you won't want it, if it does?"
That's where I dropped the ball and said I'd rather not have a new contract, instead of just saying "Yes" :suicide:

Ah well.

I've just had nearly a month of grief with my connection (now fixed), so I don't know if it was a deal by way of apology or something :confused:

As for the speed being doubled, well yes, it'd be nice, but it won't bother me too much.
If I do get it though, don't worry, you'll know.
Just look out for a load of grinning smilies :D

Last edited:
Certainly was!

Wait to see what happens in July then I guess ;)

Although the Ambit 256 is specced to over 30Mb/s, it can't achieve that on the Vm network. AIUI this is because Vm use channel-bonding above 20Mb/s and the 256 is a single-channel modem.

Although the Ambit 256 is specced to over 30Mb/s, it can't achieve that on the Vm network. AIUI this is because Vm use channel-bonding above 20Mb/s and the 256 is a single-channel modem.

Thanks, I'm informed :smashin:

You learn something new every day :thumbsup:

Actually, I was wondering why I had 4 channels listed, so that makes sense.

On the Netflix front, I recently upgraded to 50meg broadband, but during peak evening hours, I cant stream at the highest quality on Netlifx. On the PS3, I only get medium HD. If I try it at other times of day, it will go to X-high HD, but not between say 8-11pm (even though speedtest shows I'm getting the full speed). I cant really tell the difference with the naked eye, but it still bothers me!

Last edited:
On the Netflix front, I recently upgraded to 50meg broadband, but during peak evening hours, I cant stream at the highest quality on Netlifx. On the PS3, I only get medium SD. If I try it at other times of day, it will go to X-high HD, but not between say 8-11pm (even though speedtest shows I'm getting the full speed). I cant really tell the difference with the naked eye, but it still bothers me!

On the PS3, how can you tell what quality stream you are actually getting at that moment?

nothing free with virgin just got a email from them saying that they are putting up prices from the 1st april 2012 virgin have to make money from all this work they just find other way to fool everyone

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom