Virgin Announced broadband speeds are doubling for free in February

Looks like I'm on for around July this year, but my friend that lives 20 mins down the road (closer to London) is on for between Oct '12 and June '13!

I think most of the issues relating to the SuperHub relate to its wireless capabilities. I've configured mine to not use its wireless capabilities and only use it as a wired router/modem. I've not had any problems with it in this configuration. You can totally turn off its router capabilities altogether and use a separate wireless router of your own if you so wish.

Thx for reply, I too also hear that it's just the wireless part of the hub that had issues. I am glad that you can just use the hub as a modem. Didn't know that. Gives me options.

The cool thing about the super hub is it has a gigabit router thingy on it with 4 or 5 ports... Which is great because I can get rid of another box (the gigabit hub thingy that used to sit next to the modem)

at the moment i have xl (20mb) broadband which i'm 100% happy with.it will be great to get double speed but the problem is the Superhub. I've heard bad things about it so i might just get the L broadband package with 20mb broadband and cheaper !!
is the Superhub that bad ?

jtfab75 said:
at the moment i have xl (20mb) broadband which i'm 100% happy with.it will be great to get double speed but the problem is the Superhub. I've heard bad things about it so i might just get the L broadband package with 20mb broadband and cheaper !!
is the Superhub that bad ?

I've got it and it rawks hard... No problems....

Apart from the bit about having to wait until october. 2nd City of the Country and it will take 9+ months to flick the odd switch or upgrade the odd UBR or find some working smarthubs to post out - terrible.
:rolleyes:
It seems to me that the people who (like me) are currently on the 20mb service will do the best from this upgrade as we are getting our speed trebled to 60mb whilst everyone else is "only" getting doubled.
Who's been lying to you ? :confused: They're doubling all speeds except 100MB.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by carlos67 View Post
It seems to me that the people who (like me) are currently on the 20mb service will do the best from this upgrade as we are getting our speed trebled to 60mb whilst everyone else is "only" getting doubled.

I don't see that Carlos67 (welcome to the forums mate, btw :thumbsup:) mentioned anything about "lying" :confused:

He just stated a fact that 20Mb users will get the best out of this.

Last edited:
I think a few people are considering similar propositions? I too am thinking of downgrading in order to reduce my monthly bill, but still get slightly faster BB. One issue with this that I'm not certain about is on how this would affect contracts. Would a BB customer be obliged to sign up to a new contract or would such a deal not be subject to such obligations?

Virgin once tried to tell me I was under contract, I asked them to show me what I had signed, they said there was nothing. So I asked for a recording of a phonecall where I agreed to any contract, and they couldnt provide that either. So as far as I'm concerned, there are no contracts.

When times were hard, I had to downgrade my BB to 10Mb.
I did this by phone and made a point of asking about this.

I was specifically told that as long as you are out of your original contract and haven't done something that constituted a new contract (I took that as a totally new service), upgrades and downgrades do not constitute a new contract.
The person I was talking to was quite happy to give me her name and when requested, handed me over to her supervisor who confirmed this and happily gave her name too.

It probably will be double for everyone and not just up to 20, 60, 100 etc.

They are probably doing this becase BT have launched their 100mb FTTP and they are doubling their FTTC speeds from 40mb to 80mb

Virgin are great and 60mb would be good - but considering im paying £28.50 at the minute compared to BT would be £25. £3.50 less for an extra 20mb download and an extra 14mb upload.

Infinity checker: 39.1mb download and 10mb upload so might be worth changing once BT double them.

warren2 said:

They are probably doing this becase BT have launched their 100mb FTTP and they are doubling their FTTC speeds from 40mb to 80mb

Virgin are great and 60mb would be good - but considering im paying £28.50 at the minute compared to BT would be £25. £3.50 less for an extra 20mb download and an extra 14mb upload.

Infinity checker: 39.1mb download and 10mb upload so might be worth changing once BT double them.

Wow, 10mb upload? Nice... I thought I had it good when I got bumped up to 3mb upload and 30mb download... On a positive note it's always that way compared to previous ISPs where I'd get half or less of advertised speeds...

Wow, 10mb upload? Nice... I thought I had it good when I got bumped up to 3mb upload and 30mb download... On a positive note it's always that way compared to previous ISPs where I'd get half or less of advertised speeds...

I get 3Mb upload atm with Virgin. BT Infinity have raised all their customers infinity upload to 10mb.

Once they double the infinity speeds, the upload speed with e 20mb. - 14mb more than virgins 6mb once upgraded.

20mb more (80mb) than Virgins 60mb once upgraded.

All for £3.50 less, I think BT may win again :laugh:

I get 3Mb upload atm with Virgin. BT Infinity have raised all their customers infinity upload to 10mb.

Once they double the infinity speeds, the upload speed with e 20mb. - 14mb more than virgins 6mb once upgraded.

20mb more (80mb) than Virgins 60mb once upgraded.

All for £3.50 less, I think BT may win again :laugh:
The uploads are still 10mb and 2mb for bt infinity. I wouldnt bet on that 80mbps upgrade being free. It would probably be a contract renewal at least.

I don't see that Carlos67 (welcome to the forums mate, btw :thumbsup:) mentioned anything about "lying" :confused:
Well he seems to think that those on 20MB will be tripled to 60. This is clearly not true so either someone lied to him when he asked them or someone lied on a webpage on which he got the information.

I made no mention of Carlos (great name, btw ;)) himself lying :confused:

You may not get the extra 20mb/14mb for the money though due to exhange distance and loss due to the copper. You can also bet your bottom dollar that if you want FTTP then you will have to shell out for BT to fit it and it won't be cheap.

Well he seems to think that those on 20MB will be tripled to 60. This is clearly not true so either someone lied to him when he asked them or someone lied on a webpage on which he got the information.

Quote from BBC's article on this - "Virgin Media's upgrade will mean customers currently signed up for 10Mbps will be boosted to 20Mbps, while users on 20Mbps and 30Mbps packages will both be upped to 60Mbps."

One of us is losing the plot, I think.

You mentioned "lying" in post #82, as if he referred to it.
Or at least that's the impression I got.

As for the 20Mb, I see what you mean; there is no 20Mb anymore.
When did that happen? :confused:

You can also bet your bottom dollar that if you want FTTP then you will have to shell out for BT to fit it and it won't be cheap.
FTTP from bt is £45/pm and free install. It is relatively cheap for what it is. Availability on the other hand is extremely limited.

Been trying to find a table I saw the other day regarding the increase, basically if you're on L BB you will get 20mb, XL will be 60MB and obviously XXL will be 100mb.

Seeing as XL encompasses both 20mb and 30mb it'll mean 20mb will increase to 60mb.

I'm on 20mb currently and my understanding is that my speed will increase to 60mb:
"Does everyone get their speed doubled?

All existing customers will get a broadband boost, and in most cases you’ll get double your current speed. 20Mb customers are getting their speeds tripled, while 100Mb are getting an increase to 120Mb – the fastest broadband widely available in the UK."

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom