Virgin Announced broadband speeds are doubling for free in February

Yet more VM ineptitude.
Yes, because no-one should ever makes mistakes! Are you perfect? :rolleyes:
Sorry if I sound banal, but it isn't free...
Don't worry. You don't sound banal. Just thick.

I'm on their M (10MB) service. After October, or thereabouts I will still be on the M service - and paying the same price for it - but will be getting 20MB. The upgrade is, therefore, free.

Surely it's not really that difficult to understand? :confused:

...I mind paying for such a poor service....
If you are having problems, like slower than expected speeds, then call VM and get them sorted.

Last edited:
No, don't be silly :nono:

:D

Actually, I did suggest that earlier in the thread. I think more people would benefit from half price BB than doubling the speeds of existing customers? Maybe even lay some more cables instead?

all you need to do is drop the package speed to get the lower price , Job done :)

So it will not cost me anything at all? It will be gratis? I don't actually need 100Mb BB and would be much better served by having the cost of my 50Mb service halved. In fact I may just drop my service to the 30Mb package and get it doubled to 60Mb (before they hike the prices next year).

Do you really believe VM are doing this out of the goodness of their heart or because this country needs betterBB? What this country needs is affordable BB for all, and I don't see that in the announcement. It is PR crap! Virgin Media is a US owned public company with shareholders to keep happy. Nothing is free.

And it isn't that I mind paying for something I want, I mind paying for such a poor service that so many herald as being in some way superior because of half kept promises and the misuse of the word Free.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but when you get the upgrade to the 100Mb service, surely you can just downgrade to the 60Mb service?
Which would be the same price as the current 30Mb or 50Mb service? (I really don't know which).

So you still get an increase in speed for the same money?

Can anyone give me a link/postcode checker that states when my area will get the upgrade?

I'll be moving from L to XL just before it happens :D

Yes, because no-one should ever makes mistakes! Are you perfect? :rolleyes:

No, but I don't charge you £70 per month not to be! Again, why do you feel the need to continually excuse VM? You do it all the time and not just in relation to this, but with a multitude of issues. It is why we both end up at odds with one another on so many occasions. THey take your money and are big enough to stand up for themselves. By making light of their faults, you make it less important for them to rectify them. Companies don't spend their profits on rectifying things or on improving their services unless it improves their chances of potential profits.

Last edited:
Jesus wept. You gotta laugh when you get something extra, for no extra cost, and people still whinge about it - and then try to back up their whinges by being pedantic about wording...

I'm on 10mb - so I'm getting boosted to 20mb; and it's not costing me a penny more. So, and I'll try to word it so the simpletons can understand it; I'm getting a 100% increase in speed for 0% increase in cost
Well said.

You mean for the same price? :lesson: :D
Yes. No EXTRA cost.

.. why do you feel the need to continually excuse VM?
I'm not excusing anything. It was a stupid and completely avoidable error. But that's all it was. No-one died; no-one got their services accidentally cut-off. It's not really that big a deal.

Fast UK broadband | Increase your broadband speed with Virgin Media

costs you to use the checker though as it links to your account and bills you, you see it on the next statement mate:(.

:laugh:

Bloody July onwards :(

Second city in the country and we're always well down the list :confused:
Oh well, it's a nice tickle and I'm looking forward to 60 Mb for an extra few quid a month :smashin:

I've had a fault with our connection since before the 21st of December and was so close to cancelling, just for the point of it, but copper gets me around 3.5Mb.
VM is just the best by a mile round here.

Fortunately it's finally been fixed today :smashin:

Cheers Namuk :smashin:

I'm not excusing anything. It was a stupid and completely avoidable error. But that's all it was. No-one died; no-one got their services accidentally cut-off. It's not really that big a deal.

Carl, they do it continually, not just emails or just on this occasion, but with people's bills and with their services. My Mother is still trying to cancel one account of her now dead boyfriend and has been trying to get her name on the account since August of last year. I've been over charged twice, had my TiVo set up on the servers as being only 500GB, still waiting for the cable to be buried in the garden, been told I couldn't have entry points where I want them even when I'd paid extra for additional installation etc, etc and that is just the last few months. It is now as if every time I need to deal with them something remiss happens. I dread having to contact them. It is beyond a joke and I do not have to accept it as you seem to believe.

I get better service from my corner shop.

Why would I do that? I'm wouldn't be getting anything for free if I did that. And I don't want a sticker.

So what is it you don't understand about getting an increase in speed at no extra charge?

:laugh:

Bloody July onwards :(

Second city in the country and we're always well down the list :confused:
Oh well, it's a nice tickle and I'm looking forward to 60 Mb for an extra few quid a month :smashin:

I've had a fault with our connection since before the 21st of December and was so close to cancelling, just for the point of it, but copper gets me around 3.5Mb.
VM is just the best by a mile round here.

Fortunately it's finally been fixed today :smashin:

Cheers Namuk :smashin:

April to July for me :cool: but you are Down in the depths of Brummy land :D

anytime mate:thumbsup:

Remember this? dante01 is Stan :D

Why would I do that? I'm wouldn't be getting anything for free if I did that. And I don't want a sticker.

So what is it you don't understand about getting an increase in speed at no extra charge?

I dunno, I'm a simpleton remember or did you forget that?

What is your problem with me having an opinion not the same as yours?

What is the problem with me wanting cheaper broadband rather than a gimmick? Why will someone getting the 100Mb service not only get an extra 20Mb, but also a price cut? Why isn't everyone getting a cut or why isn't there an option not to have the upgrade and have a cut instead?

Last edited:
What is your problem with me having an opinion not the same as yours?

I wasn't commenting on anyones opinions

What is the problem with me wanting cheaper broadband rather than a gimmick?

I wasn't commenting on anyone wanting cheaper broadband. But tell me, what's gimmicky about getting a 100% speed increase for 0% price increase?

Why will someone getting the 100Mb service not only get an extra 20Mb, but also a price cut?

Are you on the 100Mb service?

Why isn't everyone getting a cut or why isn't there an option not to have the upgrade and have a cut instead?

Ask Virgin Media

Note to those all speculating about changing their cutrrent package.

Note what exactly?

Also, could you please confirm that you understand all the 10Mb, 20Mb, 30Mb, and 50Mb customers will be getting a 100% speed increase at no additional cost?

Last edited:
You're the one asking me so why the upturned nose when I actually reply? :rolleyes:

Maybe because I'm simpleton???

You're the one asking me so why the upturned nose when I actually reply? :rolleyes:

That's correct, I am asking you. I don't have an upturned nose though. However, you do seem very good at not answering direct questions. So care to take a stab at these?

1) What's gimmicky about getting a 100% speed increase for 0% price increase?
2) Are you on the 100Mb service?
3) Note what exactly?
4) Could you please confirm that you understand all the 10Mb, 20Mb, 30Mb, and 50Mb customers will be getting a 100% speed increase at no additional cost?

costs you to use the checker though as it links to your account and bills you, you see it on the next statement mate:(.
Well I've read some crap about VM in my time, but (assuming you're serious and there's no smiley to suggest you're not) you win the top prize :rolleyes:
Carl, they do it continually, not just emails or just on this occasion, but with people's bills and with their services.
I am specifically talking about this one email. I know full well they have other problems. I have experience of that myself through my parent's account with them.

Last edited:
That's correct, I am asking you. I don't have an upturned nose though. However, you do seem very good at not answering direct questions. So care to take a stab at these?

1) What's gimmicky about getting a 100% speed increase for 0% price increase?
2) Are you on the 100Mb service?
3) Note what exactly?
4) Could you please confirm that you understand all the 10Mb, 20Mb, 30Mb, and 50Mb customers will be getting a 100% speed increase at no additional cost?

It is a gimmick by its very nature. As I said, VM do not do anything that doesn't in some way profit them.

No, I'm a 50Mb customer. and don't really need more than this. Hence why I'd rather get cheaper BB.

The Note was a typo pasted from something else and was shortly deleted after it was posted.

I know exactly what the VM arrangement is. I posted what VM have posted on this matter on the first page of this thread, in the second post and in advance of you joining the topic.

Maybe if you stop being fixated on insinuating I'm a simpleton, you'd note I've not once complained about the upgrade as such or said it to be anything other than what it is portrayed to be. My issues lay elsewhere and in relation to how VM market such "gimmicks" and the ineptitude they regularly exhibits while doing so. Maybe if they spent more time getting what they've started right before moving on to another ad campaign riddled with mistakes then I'd be more pleased and less critical?

It is my opinion and I claim my right as a simpleton to have one :hiya:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom