Virgin Announced broadband speeds are doubling for free in February

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
It is a gimmick by its very nature. As I said, VM do not do anything that doesn't in some way profit them.
So is it a gimmick when you buy one get one free on a product in a supermarket?

No, I'm a 50Mb customer. and don't really need more than this. Hence why I'd rather get cheaper BB.
Then do not concern yourself about the fairness, or lack of it, with the 100Mb customers "only" getting a 20Mb increase and discounted monthly cost. Let the 100Mb customers worry about that, and you just concern yourself with your own packge

I know exactly what the VM arrangement is. I posted what VM have posted on this matter on the first page of this thread, in the second post and in advance of you joining the topic.
So you're saying you know, and understand, that what is happening is that VM are doubling (in most cases) customers speed and not increasing their monthly costs, yet you still seem to refuse to accept that we, as VM customers, are getting a upgrade for free?

Maybe if you stop being fixated on insinuating I'm a simpleton, you'd note I've not once complained about the upgrade as such or said it to be anything other than what it is portrayed to be. My issues lay elsewhere and in relation to how VM market such "gimmicks" and the ineptitude they regularly exhibits while doing so. Maybe if they spent more time getting what they've started right before moving on to another ad campaign riddled with mistakes then I'd be more pleased and less critical?
I've not fixated or insinuated you are a simpleton. Maybe if you spent more time speaking to VM directly about your issues and disappointments, rather than posting unrelated comments on a forum thread subject, and less time worrying about if you are simple or not, then maybe you'd be more pleased and less critical?

It is my opinion and I claim my right as a simpleton to have one :hiya:
There you are with this simpleton thing again. Why are you so fixated on it?

But yes, you have an opinion, and everyone is entitled to have one.

jm28cardiff

Ive been thinking of going to 50, but wasnt sure about the extra cost. Now I think I will just go to 30, and get 60 by Feb/March!

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ive been thinking of going to 50, but wasnt sure about the extra cost. Now I think I will just go to 30, and get 60 by Feb/March!
I think a few people are considering similar propositions? I too am thinking of downgrading in order to reduce my monthly bill, but still get slightly faster BB. One issue with this that I'm not certain about is on how this would affect contracts. Would a BB customer be obliged to sign up to a new contract or would such a deal not be subject to such obligations?

Another thing I'm unsure about. Those customers with the 20Mb service who didn't previously want to upgrade to 30Mb (supposedly free) because of the additional SuperHub and activation charge involved, what happens to them?

carl.waring

1. Anyone upgrading now would probably start a new contract as normal and then just get the upgrade when it arrives.

2. Answered in posted you first quoted at the start of this thread.

dante01

Distinguished Member
2. Answered in posted you first quoted at the start of this thread.
Is it? I don't think it is and it only states that their speed will be doubled. It says nothing about the provision of a SuperHub or the activation of such. Speeds of more than 20Mb require the SuperHub and its activation so is this or isn't this free in conjunction with the new speeds? 20Mb customers will not be able to take advantage of the speed increase to 60Mb without a SuperHub and the activation.

1. Anyone upgrading now would probably start a new contract as normal and then just get the upgrade when it arrives.
I didn't mean a new contract for those automatically being upgraded in conjunction with the offer, I was referring to if you downgrade or change to a lesser package after the upgrade? You obviously will in either instance so you are being penalised in a round about sort of way.

Last edited:

tredman

Distinguished Member
dante01 said:
Is it? I don't think it is and it only states that their speed will be doubled. It says nothing about the provision of a SuperHub or the activation of such. Speeds of more than 20Mb require the SuperHub and its activation so is this or isn't it free in conjunction with the new speeds? 20Mb customers will not be able to take advantage of the speed increase to 60Mb without a SuperHub and the activation.

I didn't mean a new contract for those automatically being upgraded in conjunction with the offer, I was referring to if you downgrade or change to a lesser package after the upgrade? You obviously will in either instance so you are being penalised in a round about sort of way.
I have downgraded in the past and my contract status has been unaffected. I asked the question and was told up or downgrading tv does not affect your contract (assuming you keep the same box) it is similarly unaffected by downgrading your BB speed.

However as from your experiences so far you will obviously be leaving when your contact is up I would enquire carefully before changing your service in any way,

carl.waring

Is it? I don't think it is....
If you're using one of our older modems then there might be a little more to it. You'll still get a speed boost, but we might need to swap your modem for a Virgin Media Super Hub to make sure you get the best from your new speed. If so, we'll supply the Super Hub without charge.
...and it only states that their speed will be doubled. It says nothing about the provision of a SuperHub or the activation of such. Speeds of more than 20Mb require the SuperHub and its activation so is this or isn't this free in conjunction with the new speeds? 20Mb customers will not be able to take advantage of the speed increase to 60Mb without a SuperHub and the activation.
A fair point, but I'm don't think they'll be able to force anyone to pay for activation if that is the only way their service can continue to be provided.

I didn't mean a new contract for those automatically being upgraded in conjunction with the offer, I was referring to if you downgrade or change to a lesser package after the upgrade?
I don't know what currently happens as I can't "downgrade" :p, but I don't see anything changing in that respect. (I now see someone else has responded on this point.)
However as from your experiences so far you will obviously be leaving when your contact is up I would enquire carefully before changing your service in any way,
No he won't. They never do. There was someone exactly the same on the old VM Newsgroups years ago. Always complaining about something to do with the service but when challenged on it, he always backed-down.

There will always be serial complainers, I guess. People just not happy but who won't actually do anything about it.

Last edited:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
dante01 said:
Whatever turns you on. If you want to fantasise about such things and it floats your boat then good for you :)
What?!?

dante01

Distinguished Member
No he won't. They never do. There was someone exactly the same on the old VM Newsgroups years ago. Always complaining about something to do with the service but when challenged on it, he always backed-down.

There will always be serial complainers, I guess. People just not happy but who won't actually do anything about it.
Let me just put people straight on one thing. I've never threatened to leave Virgin Media and cannot therefore "back down" from something someone else suggested. If I tell you to go jump in a river should I then expect to see you floating past me sometime soon?

I'm now a serial complainer am I? ermm, very interesting. I think you make too many assumptions as to what I do and don't do. I think you've an issue with anyone who has anything to say that isn't to your liking about anything relating to Virgin Media. You spend most of your time at AVForums dismissing what many feel are issues with Virgin Media.

Why do you feel the need to keep excusing Virgin Media and in who's interest is it in that you do so?

Last edited:

carl.waring

Let me just put people straight on one thing. I've never threatened to leave Virgin Media and cannot therefore "back down" from something someone else suggested. If I tell you to go jump in a river should I then expect to see you floating past me sometime soon?
Like I said, that was someone else years ago. Not sure why you took it so personally :confused:

I think you make too many assumptions as to what I do and don't do. I think you've an issue with anyone who has anything to say that isn't to your liking about anything relating to Virgin Media. You spend most of your time at AVForums dismissing what many feel are issues with Virgin Media.
And you say I'm making assumtions? Black kettles and pots spring to mind.

Of course, anyone can say anything they like for or against VM. Just as I can either agree with them or explain why I don't. That's what Forum discussions are all about. You do know that, right? :confused:

Why do you feel the need to keep excusing Virgin Media and in who's interest is it in that you do so?
I'm excusing nothing. Pretty sure I agreed it was a stupid mistake but, as I also said, that's all it was.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Like I said, that was someone else years ago. Not sure why you took it so personally :confused:
So you were discussing someone else, who posted elsewhere on a non related topic and for no apparent reason? :confused:

It was blatantly targeted at me and the very defence of it only serves to confirm it!

Last edited:

carl.waring

So you were discussing someone else, who posted elsewhere on a non related topic and for no apparent reason? :confused:
There was a very good reason. It's called an example. It's a device employed to illustrate a point.

My apologies if your reading comprehension skills aren't very good. I'll try and keep things simpler and explain things more for you in future.

It was blatantly targeted at me and the very defence of it only serves to confirm it!
Paranoid much? :)

Last edited:

MDPlatts

Novice Member
On a more friendly note I have to say the 'postcode' checker made me chuckle.
Apart from the bit about having to wait until october. 2nd City of the Country and it will take 9+ months to flick the odd switch or upgrade the odd UBR or find some working smarthubs to post out - terrible.

Badger0-0

Apart from the bit about having to wait until october. 2nd City of the Country and it will take 9+ months to flick the odd switch or upgrade the odd UBR or find some working smarthubs to post out - terrible.
:rolleyes:

carlos67

Standard Member
It seems to me that the people who (like me) are currently on the 20mb service will do the best from this upgrade as we are getting our speed trebled to 60mb whilst everyone else is "only" getting doubled.

Also, I have heard bad stories on various forums about the "super" hub. My current old ambit modem is a star performer and I regularly clock 19.5mb. I just hope that, by now, the firmware has been sorted on the superhubs and I am not going to see a deterioration once using the superhub after the upgrade.

1st time poster btw.:hiya::blush:

dante01

Distinguished Member
It seems to me that the people who (like me) are currently on the 20mb service will do the best from this upgrade as we are getting our speed trebled to 60mb whilst everyone else is "only" getting doubled.

Also, I have heard bad stories on various forums about the "super" hub. My current old ambit modem is a star performer and I regularly clock 19.5mb. I just hope that, by now, the firmware has been sorted on the superhubs and I am not going to see a deterioration once using the superhub after the upgrade.

1st time poster btw.:hiya::blush:
I think most of the issues relating to the SuperHub relate to its wireless capabilities. I've configured mine to not use its wireless capabilities and only use it as a wired router/modem. I've not had any problems with it in this configuration. You can totally turn off its router capabilities altogether and use a separate wireless router of your own if you so wish.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett