Question Virgin and UHD

whitesnake11

My street is due to be cabled up w/c 9/11. I'm a longstanding Sky customer and it looks like they are about to announce SkyQ their UHD box. Is there any news or info on Virgins plan for UHD broadcasts? If not it's highly unlikely I'm going to move my services to Virgin. Any info would be helpful. Cheers:)

dante01

Distinguished Member
Virgin have made no indication of making provision for a UHD service. Unlike BT and SKY Virgin do not produce any material, own any sports rights and do not own any channels that could be used to air 4K content. I doubt either BT or SKY would allow Virgin to have access to their 4K provision or channels. TiVo have announced a 4K box in the USA, but Virgin's contract with TiVo is set to expire in the not so distant future so this in itself should not be used as an indication that Virgin will be using the 4K TiVo in the future.

Note TiVo is an independant company and Virgin does not own TiVo. The fact that TiVo are making a 4K box is no indicatoin that VM have any plans to provide a 4K service. TiVo themselves appear to be moving away from DVR and more towards online streaming services? THe 4K content the new Bolt TiVo has access to is all provided by online streaming services and a few broadcasters that have online channels. This makes more sense if wanting to deal with 4K content. I doubt SKY will be broadcasting 4K via satellite if indeed they are going to announce a 4K service. Such a service is more probably going to be provided via IP and over the internet than via satellite?

Also note that besides the fact that 4K broadcasting isn't really a viable broadcast format there's not actually a standard for uHD broadcasting yet! You may get away with a few UHD channels via cable, but even Virgin's cable network couldn't handle the bandwidth required to carry all the HD channels currently available if they all had UHD variants. The channel providers aren't going to be making 4K versions of their channel so what excatly are Virgin going to be providing in 4K if they do announce a 4K box?

Last edited:

whitesnake11

Virgin have made no indication of them providing a UHD service. Unlike BT and SKY Virgin do not produce any material and do not own any channels that could be used to air 4K content. I doubt either BT or SKY would allow Virgin the have access to their 4K provision or channels. TiVo have announced a 4K box in the USA, but Virgin's contract with TiVo is set to expire in the not so distant future so this in itself should not be used as an indication that Virgin will be using the 4K TiVo in the future.

Note TiVo is an independant company and Virgin does not own TiVo. The fact that TiVo are making a 4K box is no indicatoin that VM have any plans to provide a 4K service. TiVo themselves appear to be moving away from DVR and more towards online streaming services? This makes more sense if wanting to deal with 4K content. I doubt SKY will be broadcasting 4K via satellite if indeed they are going to announce a 4K service. Such a service is more probably going to be provided via IP and over the internet than via satellite?

Also note that besides the fact that 4K broadcasting isn't really a viable broadcast format there's not actually a standard for uHD broadcasting yet! You may get away with a few UHD channels via cable, but even Virgin's cable network couldn't handle the bandwidth required to carry all the HD channels available if they all had UHD variants.
Looks like I'll be staying with Sky then!! Mind there is a lot of discussion in the satellite forum that SkyQ will be satellite and IP as it's rumored that a new LNB will be required as well as new cabling.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Given the fact that SKY are already limited as far as bandwidth is concerned and compress everything to buggery then I think it unlikely that they'll be providing 4K via satellite? It will more than likely be via an internet connection and the service will be sold with SKY BB fibre. This is basically what BT have done with their UHD service. If via satellite then where are all the other channels they have coming from? There'd be no room for both a 4K channel and all the existing HD channels SKY broadcast. Note that all these channels are there whether you subscribe to them or not and it is the box and your subscription that determines which channels you can view. SKY do not have the bandwidth availblevto broadcast 4K content via satalite while still continueing to broadcasting their other channels via satellite.

The best place for 4K content other than sports is via Netflix or Amazon, neither of which require a subscription to BT, SKY or Virgin Media. Expect SKY to have a sports 4K option, but I'd not want 4K from SKY if not interested in sports.

Last edited:

whitesnake11

Given the fact that SKY are already limited as far as bandwidth is concerned and compress everything to buggery then I think it unlikely that they'll be providing 4K via satellite? It will more than likely be via an internet connection and the service will be sold with SKY BB fibre. This is basically what BT have done with their UHD service. If via satellite then where are all the other channels they have coming from? There'd be no room for both a 4K channel and all the existing HD channels SKY broadcast. Note that all these channels are there whether you subscribe to them or not and it is the box and your subscription that determines which channels you can view. SKY do not have the bandwidth availblevto broadcast 4K content via satalite while still continueing to broadcasting their other channels via satellite.

The best place for 4K content other than sports is via Netflix or Amazon, neither of which require a subscription to BT, SKY or Virgin Media. Expect SKY to have a sports 4K option, but I'd not want 4K from SKY if not interested in sports.
I know it's only speculation at the moment but I would suggest you read through this thread. People much more knowledgeable than me,think it will be delivered by satellite and IPTV.

Sky set to announce Ultra HD Box?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom