Virgin an alternative?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Honkycat, May 26, 2008.

1. Honkycat

Honkycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have Sky HD at the minute. I've been worrying about the change in the new boxes which have no component out (my Sony plasma has no HDMI). Would V+ be a solution when my Sky HD box dies next time ..... does it have component out? Is it as good? It may be my only option as I won't be able to afford a new TV (this one isn't actually very old... I sadly just missed HDMI). Sky may lose quite a few customers over this.

Cheers for any thoughts..

Steve.

2. wellibob

wellibob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    as far as im aware, component is being dropped purely due to potential copyright issues, ie recording the signal to say somethink other than a sky hard drive. I tend not to use component due to most screens overscan of this signal.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    VM only offer BBCHD and a selection of VOD HD, it simply is not comparable to SKY HD package so for content it's no contest and if you have a problem then make sure SKY replace the box with the same model, there will be thousands in the supply chain with component:)

Doesn't your TV have even DVI?

4. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    Agree with the above post, and also Virgin use a fair bit of HDCP to protect their VOD movies meaning you can only view via HDMI not component.

Probably better off sticking with Sky and trying to dodge the component-less boxes.

5. Honkycat

Honkycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, although dodging them may be difficult. They may even withdraw all component boxes so as to enforce their new regime. Oh well... I''ll cross that bridge...

No, I don't have any such connection. I think I was JUST before they came in. It's one of the KE37SX Sonys.... very good TV apart from that.